The Student Room Group

Most underrated and overrated actors/actresses

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Hylean
Ahahahaha, really? You think he isn't playing the weirdo in those movies? Kidding yourself.

Even if he does play a lot of weirdos, they're all completely different and weird in different ways
Reply 121
Original post by Harry-AA
Even if he does play a lot of weirdos, they're all completely different and weird in different ways

No, they're really not.

Unerrated: River Phoenix. The man is an acting genius and such a legend. Unfortunately, he is now used as an example of how Hollywood kills young talent rather than celebrated for his acting.

Overrated: Keira Knightley. Wooden acting and all she does is pout. Very two dimensional and gives no passion towards a role. She seems to always be concious of her outward appearence rather than the inner soul of a character.
Reply 123
Original post by Hylean
No, they're really not.

so they're all exactly the same??

Every single one was pulled of fantastically, and then compared to him in real life, he really really is a fantastic actor
Reply 124
Original post by Harry-AA
so they're all exactly the same??

Every single one was pulled of fantastically, and then compared to him in real life, he really really is a fantastic actor

Yes, because the make-up is what makes a character. The make-up and clothes, clearly.

I love how you threw in Dillinger when I've already said he tried playing a normal person there and was crap. :p:

And yes, within the bounds of the actual character, he plays them all exceptionally similarly. It's boring to watch him. Hell, I could even see Jack Sparrow popping up in Dillinger.

He used to be good, admittedly, but now he's just a one trick pony.
Reply 125
The most overrated to me is Kristen stewart, she can't act to save her life, When I saw Twilight, I was like omg, why is she there? The most underrated? mmm I still have to think about that
Reply 126
Whoever said John Cazale is so right. Genuinely one of the greatest losses to cinema ever. He made just 5 feature films in his short career. The Godfather, The Godfather II, The Conversation, The Deer Hunter and Dog Day Afternoon. All oscar nominated, all in the IMDB Top 250 and all considered classics by virtually everyone, and John Cazale had a big part to play in all of these films being great. His portrayal of the pathetic and childlike Fredo in Godfather II is so tragic and memorable. Breaks my heart that so many people don't even know who he is.

As for overrated: Samuel L. Jackson. He's made a career of playing the cool tough guy, but he has no depth and no range. Not saying I don't like him, because I actually do, but he is a one trick pony.
Most underrated actor is CILLILAN MURPHY. If you haven't heard of him check him out!! He always has minor but EPIC roles: Inception, Batman Begins, The Tron Legacy...I saw him in a main role in Sunshine and he was just awesome. He's probably a very good actor but its his persona and demeanour that just blows me away...he's just an EPIC guy!!

Another underrated actor is Tom Hardy, although he has been gaining a bit of fame recently...

As for overrated: Adam Sandler and Kristin Stewart!! I've seen them in interviews and they behave the exact same way they do in their films! Adam Sandler was not too bad when he was younger but now I can't even picture him having more than two expressions!!
Reply 128
There is a difference between a movie star and an actor. Some of these movie stars see call themselves an actor and hence are overrated:

The Whole Twilight Ensemble, Tom Cruise, Julia Roberts, Sarah Jessica Parker and the list is too long and I'm hoping others will add to this list/

Underrated actors:

I feel sorry for Johnny Depp, sinces he has tried and succeeded in a wide variety of roles and is not scared to push boundaries but hollywood and specially the Academy (who half of the members should not be so) don't like the guy.
I agree that DiCaprio has just started getting recognised although he did a lot of great films.
Jeremy Piven is very good at his role in entourage and also smoking aces but I'm yet to see another dimension to him.

I think right now Ellen page is underrated although she is starting to grow.

With regards to Mark Wahlberg, the guy is a good actor but not great. I think his best work was probably Shooter and Maxpayne was just too painfull to watch.
Reply 129
Underrated: Tom Hardy
Overrated: Tom Cruise
Reply 130
Overrated - Kristen Stewart, I think she is one of the most boring, flat actress' ever.
Underrated im not so sure, I would probably agree with those sayin Michael Caine.
Underrated...

Rufus Sewell. He's a fantastic actor and I don't think gets enough credit.
Mark Strong, likewise.
Megan Follows. Never hear anything about her these days, she's an amazing actress.
John Simm. He's really amazing, but doesn't get quite as much appreciation as someone as awesome as him deserves.

But the winner of the most underrated actress has to be Bertille Noel-Bruneau. She's in the Fox and the Child and is hands down the most convincing child actress I've ever seen. Ever. And she's adorable. Well, she's probably about my age now, but you get the idea.

I'll add more as I remember.

Overrated has to be Adam Sandler (I don't like anything I've seen him in, sorry folks. Click especially creeped the hell outta me) and Kristen Stewart (never looks happy, poor girl) and Jennifer Aniston (it's the same character in every film!).

No, did I really just say Jennifer Aniston was overrated? Hell yes I did.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by gazzab

Also, Clive Owen... he's ****ing terrible.

Clive Owen lives near me, and when he moved here the whole town went insane :| Every time the local paper runs an article about our cinema, they always manage to slip in "Clive Owen, patron saint of the cinema..."
Original post by gazzab
If this is directed at me, I appreciate it :biggrin:

But my judgement's informed, not clouded

Wasn't actually haha, i agree with what you said. Seth Rogen is funny, on discussion.
Reply 134
Underrated:

Brendan Gleeson
Ruth Wilson

Overrated:

I agree with Adam Sandler, never liked any of the films he's been in.
Underrated/ Underappreciated - Adrian Brody, James McAvoy, Clive Owen
Overrated - Gerard Butler, Ben Affleck (sort of), Jennifer Aniston
Reply 136
Original post by mikeylawson

How is Clive Owen underrated?
Original post by Uneschka

Original post by Uneschka
How is Clive Owen underrated?

Well more underappreciated I think. not in the US but over here he seems to be forgotten quite a bit. Inside Man is an absolute masterpiece but no one really remembers it.
Original post by mikeylawson

James McAvoy. I love that man. X-Men: First Class springs to mind.
Original post by SamIAm
Underrated:

Brendan Gleeson
Ruth Wilson

Overrated:

I agree with Adam Sandler, never liked any of the films he's been in.

Legend. Absolute legend.

Quick Reply

Latest