The Student Room Group

Anyone tried absinthe before?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by christykai1049
hmm i wouldnt consider myself a lightweight but thanks for that.

Well I don't know about you then, but we finished a bottle between 3 people - one of which is a very petite girl and we were wasted, but no more than from any other strong spirit.

People think the rumours about absinthe are real - about the hallucinations, going blind, mad or deaf.

In the old days those were some of the sideeffects due to the copper used in the drink for the colour, now it's not made green with that method.

Original post by loverboyreloaded
One show and I was wasted..didnt halucinate...tasted a bit like cough medicine
Yes.

Two different nights. First time I tried it, I woke up the next morning feeling fine. The next time I tried it, I woke up the next morning feeling as rough as hell.
how big was the bottle? 1litre or 70cl? or less?

thats a shame about the changing of the ingredients. i thought they remained the same. i guess the old stuff was too strong for the general public?

Original post by ArcaneAnna
Well I don't know about you then, but we finished a bottle between 3 people - one of which is a very petite girl and we were wasted, but no more than from any other strong spirit.

People think the rumours about absinthe are real - about the hallucinations, going blind, mad or deaf.

In the old days those were some of the sideeffects due to the copper used in the drink for the colour, now it's not made green with that method.
Tastes like mouthwash. We did three shots each chased by vodka lemonade, followed by three of tequila and three of vodka just straight.
We all had to go home at 2.
Yes. My father is Czech and the place is obsessed with the damn stuff. I find it absolutely vile.
I like it and I don't even like licorice! :P Vodka seems to make me feel instantly sick which absinthe does not. Then I've only had 55% stuff, if it was stronger I think it'd be much worse.
I found it best to drink shots of it then drink orange juice because it took away the taste/burn.
Reply 86
Original post by TheCasual
What club was you in, Hull? I'm from Hull :smile:

spider or something... my friends were in Hull too, but they didn't get in LOL, i went and found them but i was wrecked.
Reply 87
It tastes like strong sambucca.
Reply 88
Had two shots at a bar in Belfast. Tasted like strong sambucca to me. Luckily I like Sambucca.
Reply 89
I had 5 shots before i went out needless to say i woke up with cuts all over me and covered in sick
Reply 90
Drank it for the first time in Prague about a month ago. Me and my friends were really eager to try it - bad idea. One of my friends threw it up almost straight away, another managed about 15 mins before throwing up in the corner (should mention we had drank quite a bit before it though). The rest of us managed to keep it in but it wasn't a pleasant experience; burns your throat pretty bad and doesn't taste nice at all.
Reply 91
In Ibiza I was on the 80% Proof Absynth... wow. You could taste even a little bit in a full bottle of coke.
Got drunk from it, thats for sure
Reply 92
Yes. I thought it was nice but it's very strong.

Also remember that today's absinthe is nothing like traditional absinthe and tastes like horrible burning ****. Real absinthe was drunk with sugar and water. In fact modern absinthe isn't usually even absinthe at all. It's just really strong spirit. It also is unlikely to contain any of the chemicals that caused the hallucinations and side effects associated with absinthe.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 93
Original post by cid
meh, its over rated, if you want a drink with crazy effects drink Fijian grog, it's not alcohol, but a drink made from some ground root.

Last time i drank it, i was also drinking alcohol, after the 2nd cup everything is a blur until 2 am, when i became aware of myself again, i was somehow in Hull, in a club, dancing with people i did not know, drinking orange juice.
My back and face was covered in grazes but i felt no pain.

When i got up in the morning i got told of my antics the night before, i had a lot of apologizing to do lol.

LAD.
Reply 94
it's not as harsh as vodka and actually tastes quite nice. it didn;t burn, just my whole mouth felt nippy, and you can feel it nipping down your throat
Reply 95
Very strong it sort of evaporates in your mouth, start of a good night :smile:
Reply 96
Had quarter of a bottle (4 shot's) over an hour. It was 85% but to be honest i've been in worse states. I did have quite a few other drinks that night, absinthe just encouraged them on a bit. I actually really enjoy the taste, the first kick is a bit hard but it really does warm you up!
Reply 97
Original post by dbmag9
Pernod was invented as an imitation absinthe when it got banned in France, and the company also made (and still makes) one of the first absinthes (now sold as Pernod aux extraits d'absinthe, forgive my spelling).

To be honest, that was the whole reason I ever even tried Pernod - to replicated the experience I had of absinthe. I didn't work I drank far more than I should have nd ended up asleep on the bathroom floor with an empty stomach.

I had always wondered how the two drinks were related. It seems I might have to try the 'real' Pernod. :wink:
Reply 98
Original post by cid
spider or something... my friends were in Hull too, but they didn't get in LOL, i went and found them but i was wrecked.

Oh yeah Spiders., Its a bit of a goth type club.
Reply 99
Original post by climberkid
I have, I'd already been drinking through the night. I had two shots and was wasted. That night ended in a vomit stained bush. Never again.

Hahaa aww.

I fetched a bottle back from tenerife 5 euroes. So, yeah it was like pain thinner burned your throat like mad. An maybe 2 shots and you can feel it slightly, personally i think it's a lot like aftershock.

Quick Reply

Latest