The Student Room Group

Where have all the chemical engineering jobs gone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Smack
Are you sure?

According to Unistats Imperial chemical engineering has a 100% graduate employment rate into graduate level work, with 75% going into engineering.

The 100% graduate employment rate you speak of basically means that whoever finds a job after graduating lands a graduate job.

As for how many people land graduate jobs themselves, the "What were students doing 6 months after graduating" pie-chart indicates that 20% of graduates were unemployed. Last year it was 15%. Considering people wouldn't like admitting that they were jobless, the actual figure may be even worse. Maybe they just refused to try for jobs that weren't graduate-level, idk.

Also the Engineering statistics are odd because while I was at Imperial their's said that 60% went into finance. Weird. Perhaps none of this data's to be trusted.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by clad in armour
Theyve done 4/5 years of the degree, how on earth could they possibly not have researched the "right places" before they finished

Maybe not looking wide enough?
I know a lot of engineers who's gone into finance more after finishing the degree.

There may not be much engineering jobs in one area but there probably is a lot elsewhere.
Maybe a different country?
I know one engineer who got given the opportunity to travel to Scotland for a job but chose to stay in their hometown :s-smilie:
Original post by House Dagoth
Chemical engineers are in huge demand. I don't know what you're talking about...

huge demand in which industries?
Original post by Smack
No, I have no experience of chemical engineering graduates struggling to find related graduate work.

Two reasons. Firstly, finance often pays better (although the hours are much longer so it may not actually pay better per hour), and is mainly located in London. Secondly, many people only study chemical engineering because it is highly respected by financial employers. Others suitable degrees like maths and economics are much more competitive. (And not nearly as awesome.)

Well the oil industry is currently booming. Construction isn't doing too good at the moment I don't think. I am not sure about pharmaceuticals and food processing (two big employers of chemical engineering graduates).

Aberdeen. It's listed as my location in my profile.

No problem. :smile:

THANKS "Smack" +rep
Original post by Smack
Are you sure?

According to Unistats Imperial chemical engineering has a 100% graduate employment rate into graduate level work, with 75% going into engineering.

Agreed
http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/searchResults.do?pname=subjectsearchresults&level3Subjects=L3.42%AC10003270%ACFIRSTDEGREE%ACFulltime%AC520%ACNo%AC100%ACYes%AC81%ACNo%ACYes
Original post by Dreizhen
Interestingly according to Unistats Imperial's grad prospects seem to be not-so-great compared to other universities. They've even decreased over the past year apparently...

If you ask me Chemical Engineering is definitely not the sector for you if all you're interested in is grad prospects. One of the hardest courses around coupled with average job growth and mediocre salary outside of the oil sector; it's no wonder most ChemEng grads go into finance.

But surely everyone is interested in graduate prospects, especially for a vocational course such as chem eng, are you suggesting that the only worthwhile career would be in the oil industry?
Reply 25

But surely everyone is interested in graduate prospects, especially for a vocational course such as chem eng, are you suggesting that the only worthwhile career would be in the oil industry?

The only worthwhile career would be the one you are generally interested in, money aside, IMO. But if you're simply interested in larger salaries, than yeah, either oil or finance, as the others aren't worth the effort one has to put into their degree.
Reply 26
This thread is scaring me. I'm about to start this course. As far as I know, (doing quite a bit of research). the chemical industry is increasing year on year okay, the recession may have not done it any favours, but, it's still booming.
The only worthwhile career would be the one you are generally interested in, money aside, IMO. But if you're simply interested in larger salaries, than yeah, either oil or finance, as the others aren't worth the effort one has to put into their degree.

Its not about having a large salary.This thread was about job availability, i mean how is it going for you, what are you looking for?
Original post by feelbetter
This thread is scaring me. I'm about to start this course. As far as I know, (doing quite a bit of research). the chemical industry is increasing year on year okay, the recession may have not done it any favours, but, it's still booming.

The best research is by asking people that have gone through it, have you asked anyone
Reply 29
Original post by Smack
Are you sure?

How many people did they survey? Lol. What happens exactly? Does some market research firm contact everyone a year after graduation to find out what they're upto? Doing ChemEng at Imperial (which I've just graduated from) you shouldn't struggle to get a decent job- it really does impress employers(!)- but I can't imagine the employment rate is 100%.

I was reading the TCE magazine this morning, and from the article I read it does seem there has been a huge reduction in Chemical Engineering graduates finding jobs. I've got a friend whos sister did ChemEng at Manchester, got a 1st and 2 years later is still unemployed, however, she's a Pakistani muslim, has a family and kids so to be honest, it's probably more a case of her not really wanting/needing a job.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 30
The best research is by asking people that have gone through it, have you asked anyone

I did the research of course and we have a huge careers centre in my college that really helped me, i've seen the employment statistics are really high, i have talked to some people, more so chemist graduates, but they seem to highly reccomend chemical engineering and my best friends brother's a chemical engineer graduate and has a good job, sure it's a lot easier to find work in middle east etc, but he works in the U.K with a good job.
Reply 31
Its not about having a large salary.This thread was about job availability, i mean how is it going for you, what are you looking for?

My bad. Well whatever the case you are always going to have a better chance at a job with a heavily numerical degree than a non-numerical one. Whether ChemEng is worth it for that extra chance is debatable, although most people seem to think so.

I ended up hating ChemEng so I transferred to a different course elsewhere after 1st year.
Original post by Antzlck
How many people did they survey? Lol. What happens exactly? Does some market research firm contact everyone a year after graduation to find out what they're upto? Doing ChemEng at Imperial (which I've just graduated from) you shouldn't struggle to get a decent job- it really does impress employers(!)- but I can't imagine the employment rate is 100%.

I was reading the TCE magazine this morning, and from the article I read it does seem there has been a huge reduction in Chemical Engineering graduates finding jobs. I've got a friend whos sister did ChemEng at Manchester, got a 1st and 2 years later is still unemployed, however, she's a Pakistani muslim, has a family and kids so to be honest, it's probably more a case of her not really wanting/needing a job.

Original post by feelbetter
I did the research of course and we have a huge careers centre in my college that really helped me, i've seen the employment statistics are really high, i have talked to some people, more so chemist graduates, but they seem to highly reccomend chemical engineering and my best friends brother's a chemical engineer graduate and has a good job, sure it's a lot easier to find work in middle east etc, but he works in the U.K with a good job.

Its incredibly confusing, your two posts are conflicting, Id be more inclined to go with the chemical engineering journal, you sir have graduates from imperial so I doubt all thiz hugely affects you
My bad. Well whatever the case you are always going to have a better chance at a job with a heavily numerical degree than a non-numerical one. Whether ChemEng is worth it for that extra chance is debatable, although most people seem to think so.

I ended up hating ChemEng so I transferred to a different course elsewhere after 1st year.

Right ok, so what did you transfer to if you dont mind me asking
Reply 34
Right ok, so what did you transfer to if you dont mind me asking

Computer Science @ KCL.
Computer Science @ KCL.

I cant imagine that was an easy move, first year do you mean? Were you already at KCL?
Reply 36
Its incredibly confusing, your two posts are conflicting, Id be more inclined to go with the chemical engineering journal, you sir have graduates from imperial so I doubt all thiz hugely affects you

In 2009 47.8% of chemengers were in full time paid work after a year compared with 63% and 60.5% in 2007 and 2008. Unemployment was 12.2% rising from 6.8% and 10.5%.

I wouldn't not do ChemEng because you fear there's no jobs at the end. There is. Both within engineering and in pretty much every other sector who will gladly snap you up. It's a difficult degree though, many loose interest in it (or never had the interest?) so there are easier ways to get where you might want to get if you're considering jobs outside of engineering.

Oil is getting harder to access, we need to find new ways to produce electricity, the nuclear industry is going to grow, the worlds population is getting bigger and sicker ... clearly there's going to be a need for ChemEngers for some time yet!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 37
I cant imagine that was an easy move, first year do you mean? Were you already at KCL?

It wasn't an easy move to begin with, but after finding out I got a 2.2 in the 1st year I realised it was definitely the best thing I could have done, both personally and academically.

I'll be starting my 1st year at KCL, and no, I was at Imperial prior.
Reply 38
Original post by Antzlck
wouldn't not do ChemEng because you fear there's no jobs at the end. There is. Both within engineering and in pretty much every other sector who will gladly snap you up. It's a difficult degree though, many loose interest in it (or never had the interest?) so there are easier ways to get where you might want to get if you're considering jobs outside of engineering.

Oil is getting harder to access, we need to find new ways to produce electricity, the nuclear industry is going to grow, the worlds population is getting bigger and sicker ... clearly there's going to be a need for ChemEngers for some time yet!

This post is full of good stuff. Why in the world was it negged I wonder?
Reply 39
Hi i am doing A-level Maths, physics and sociology. i am considerring of doing petroleum engineering in uni. Do you think that Chemistry is Compulsory?

Quick Reply

Latest