The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hmm this is true, in A2 French the split is 1:5 boys to girls, 2:3 in Spanish and 0:1 in German. Not sure about AS, but I know that only one person does German in year 12, a boy. Pretty sure there are more girls overall though.
I don't know why, I guess it's because girls are more artsy than boys, and boys are more science-y than girls (in my school theres only one girl in the whole of our sixth form doing physics).
Oh well.
Paddy
AS German - 4
A2 German - 3

AS French - 4
A2 French - 4

In German, the 3 people are all GUYS, and in French, there are 3 guys and 1 girl!
a bit different in my sixth form i guess (and the person who dropped German at the end of AS was a girl btw)
Reply 22
well seeing as me and liguist go to the same école at nous sommes friends of each other and sont étudiants du meme école, we have the same nombres d'éetudiants in our french class, 3 guys a a gal :rolleyes: the 1:5 statistic at french really suprises me, id've thought it was summat like 1:2 boy to girl, but what do i know, i was 7 marks off a top 5 place in the country in french. im stupid. :redface:
Ok well I go to a girl's school so boys are a rarity lol. However we are in consortium with 3 other schools. I have no boys in any of my classes! However in the year above there are about 3 boys who take German.
I dunno why but I view German as a language boys tend to take more.
Reply 24
Jammertal
Has anybody noticed that the majority of the people posting on this thread are girls? Is it just coincidence or does this also reflect the male- female proportion in your language classes? At my school, almost all language courses (especially French) are dominated by girls, say a 80:20 proportion.

yeh theres no males in our school taking languages. n theres 9 of us in french the biggest class theirs eva bin theres 3 in the year above us doig a2 n of the ones that wnet 2 uni theres was only 2 the year b4. n their all girls
It changes as choices get smaller and careers and education becomes more focused. At GCSE we had an equal split in German and slightly more girls in Spanish, at A-Level out of nine students that started AS I was the only male and at university I've been told to expect a roughly 10:1 ratio of girls to boys (Not a bad thing!).

If you really want to go into it you could start talking about Gender Politics, heavily male or female dominated subjects and differences in brains between males and females and what they're more adept at. It could be any number of reasons.
Reply 26
There's 5 in my AS German class including me
it works pretty well, it is quite informal but we get all our work done and we all get on well.
I like the smaller classes too, I feel pretty comfortable although it can get a bit akward when the teacher asks a question nobody wants to answer and everyone goes silent.
Reply 27
I am the only boy in my French AS class, and there are 4 girls that make up the rest of the class.

In German there's only 3 of us, 2 boys and a girl.
well in german (as) all 7 of us are girls - there was 1 boy but he dropped outright at the start.

then in french there were about 18 of us but everyone's dropping out - there were only 2 boys 2 start with but now one's left...
Reply 29
AS level spanish - 5
A level spanish - 3

AS level french - 9
A level french - 5
There were 8 in my AS class 2 boys 4 girls and now there's 4 3 girls 1 boy ... I love it!
Reply 31
veryrandom
Ok well I go to a girl's school so boys are a rarity lol. However we are in consortium with 3 other schools. I have no boys in any of my classes! However in the year above there are about 3 boys who take German.
I dunno why but I view German as a language boys tend to take more.

Do you go to Hitchin Girl's School by any chance? I used to go to HBS :tongue:

I was the only one in my German class! For 2 years! Just me and the teacher. It was realllly weird at first, but it was OK after a while. Private tuition I guess!

There were about 7 people in my French class, which was much better though in my opinion.
Reply 32
AS German- 7
A2 German- 4

AS French- 10
A2 French- 6

It's nice because the group is small enough for it to be informal and get attention from teacher but also big enough to get a group dynamic and have mini-debates etc. which i like.

--------------

yeh im the only boy in french- surrounded by 5 girls and both teachers are female too!!
Reply 33
im the only one in my german class! i win! :P
i get private frnech lessons cos i wasnt able to do it in school so thats 2 people me and my friend
spanish there are 3 people
ya i agree mostly girls, but theres a boy in my spanish class:smile:
german is really nice and informal, and if i want to skip a lesson, its usually good for the teacher too because he gets a free lesson you know?
but apparentrly theyre stoppping the teaching of german in my school :O i bet its because of undersubscription. btw kellywood_5 i also applied to sidney sussex and got rejected for french and spanish.were you there for interview at 8th dec?did i amazingly meet you??:O
Jammertal
Has anybody noticed that the majority of the people posting on this thread are girls? Is it just coincidence or does this also reflect the male- female proportion in your language classes? At my school, almost all language courses (especially French) are dominated by girls, say a 80:20 proportion.

I'm the only boy in my French class. My German class is 4 boys to 1 girl.
jessicat
btw kellywood_5 i also applied to sidney sussex and got rejected for french and spanish.were you there for interview at 8th dec?did i amazingly meet you??:O

Awww, sorry to hear that :frown: No, my interviews were on the 7th, so I wouldn't have met you.
Reply 36
Why are people so lucky and have such small classes! My French one's 26 girls! (I go to an all girls school). However, my Spanish is only 6 but the lack of people is mainly due to the lessons being in your own free time.
Reply 37
yeah in my French AS class theres around 21 and its about 4 lads and 17 girls and then in my Spanish Beginers class theres around 15 of us and only 1 boy now in that class.

But the amount of people i dont think really affects the teaching..at least not at my college anyway :smile: I guess it just depends on the amount of people there are at the college too
Piggy
Why are people so lucky and have such small classes! My French one's 26 girls! (I go to an all girls school). However, my Spanish is only 6 but the lack of people is mainly due to the lessons being in your own free time.

:eek: How big is your sixth form? None of my AS classes were that big! English was the biggest and that was 17, then history was 12 and sociology and French were both 5 (there were 2 sociology classes because of timetabling issues). There were only about 100 people in my year though and now there are probably closer to 90 because of dropouts. Not all of those people do A-levels either; some do a child care course and some do GNVQs. Languages are not popular at my school!
Reply 39
ange de la nuit
not the most useful of threads i know but just wondered.

i'm doing as atm. in german there's 7 of us and in french...hmm...bout 15, lots of ppl keep droppin out atm.

do you think it effects learning? our german lessons are so informal, it's a real problem. but i'd like our french class to be smaller because i'm not very confident.

there were 3 at the end of alevel german and 7 at the end of alevel french

Latest

Trending

Trending