Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

laptop wont access the internet! Help please

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness is down to only 8 films! Help decide on the final 4 now! 15-07-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My laptop has suddenly decided not to connect to the internet. It says that its connected bnut when i open a webpage with either firefox or internet explorer it wont work. I have tried everything i can think of but am not technical at all, please help!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    anyone? i really need help!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Turn your router off and on again.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliasunknown)
    anyone? i really need help!
    13 minutes isn't giving people much time to reply.

We really need some detail. How do you connect to your router (cable over wireless). are there other machines on the network and do they work. Does windows report any errors on the network?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onlyskin)
    Turn your router off and on again.
    i tried that thanks for your reply.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mfaxford)
    13 minutes isn't giving people much time to reply.

We really need some detail. How do you connect to your router (cable over wireless). are there other machines on the network and do they work. Does windows report any errors on the network?
    thanks for the reply, I connect over wireless, my mums laptop, which im on now, works fine without any problem. No errors are reported i click on the diagnose problems thing in internet explorer and that didnt give any errors. My laptop seems to be connected to the internet(skype seems to work) but i cant access any webpages. I have tried disconnected and reconnecting again, turning the router on and off, going through all the diagnosis things and nothing seems to work. Any ideas?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    can anyone help?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried using a different browser? Download Chrome or Safari or Firefox (if you must) and see if that works.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onlyskin)
    Have you tried using a different browser? Download Chrome or Safari or Firefox (if you must) and see if that works.
    thanks ive tried firefox and that didnt work either, at the moment i cant access the internet to download any other browsers.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    might be worth booting into safe mode and running a virus check.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mfaxford)
    might be worth booting into safe mode and running a virus check.
    thanks, ive been away for a few days, just tried that now and no luck, no viruses were found, think im going have to take it in somewhere to be fixed as i have no clue what to do.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    thanks, ive been away for a few days, just tried that now and no luck, no viruses were found, think im going have to take it in somewhere to be fixed as i have no clue what to do.
    Have you tried connecting via an ethernet cable to see whether it is the wireless connection that is the problem?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    What was the thing you did before your wireless stopped working ? Maybe it has something to do with it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGrinningSkull)
    Have you tried connecting via an ethernet cable to see whether it is the wireless connection that is the problem?
    thanks i havent, i will try that now, its strange as it sayus its connect and skype is working but my antivirus wont update and i cant access webpages.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olympus123456)
    What was the thing you did before your wireless stopped working ? Maybe it has something to do with it.
    my laptop was "sleeping" but ran out battery so didnt shut down properly. I rebooted it and got the usual message about not shutting down properly and did i want to start in safe mode, i didnt and started it normally, then the problem started. Any ideas?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    my laptop was "sleeping" but ran out battery so didnt shut down properly. I rebooted it and got the usual message about not shutting down properly and did i want to start in safe mode, i didnt and started it normally, then the problem started. Any ideas?
    You said your skype is working but webpages are not accessible, so go to IE options and click on reset default settings. I also think your Firewalls settings have changed. Try to restore its default settings too.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    1: Try system restore
    2: Failing that go into device manager, disable, then re-enable the wireless card. If you can download the drivers for it choose 'uninstall' instead.

The 'connected' bit just tells you it's connected to the router and not the internet. Sometimes turning the wireless switch off and on, or deleting the network from the list of saved networks and re-adding it might work.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omar.Ebrahim)
    1: Try system restore
    2: Failing that go into device manager, disable, then re-enable the wireless card. If you can download the drivers for it choose 'uninstall' instead.

The 'connected' bit just tells you it's connected to the router and not the internet. Sometimes turning the wireless switch off and on, or deleting the network from the list of saved networks and re-adding it might work.
    thanks, what does system restore do? i have lots of programs that came with my laptop that i dont have discs for (chem draw and office) will they be wiped off?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGrinningSkull)
    just tried that, no luck, that you very much for the suggestion
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olympus123456)
    You said your skype is working but webpages are not accessible, so go to IE options and click on reset default settings. I also think your Firewalls settings have changed. Try to restore its default settings too.
    thank you, just tried those, no luck either.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 19, 2011
New on TSR

Talk about SQA results day

Join the chat ahead of grades coming out on Tuesday

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.