The Student Room Group

When will I get my first SAAS payment?

Due to family illness I didn't get around to applying to SAAS until the beginning of August. At Freshers' week I have been hearing of people being told they won't get theirs until like November, and I'm starting to panic as I simply can't wait that long. I desperately need my SAAS.

It's been about six weeks since I applied; should I expect it to come within the next couple of weeks?
You should get a payment schedule in the post
I assume you won't be getting your first payment on the 23rd September then though
If you haven't heard anything yet.
Reply 2
Original post by Popppppy
You should get a payment schedule in the post
I assume you won't be getting your first payment on the 23rd September then though
If you haven't heard anything yet.

I will actually cry if I don't get this soon :frown: I'm going to phone them tomorrow. I wonder if they can speed up the process a little if you're in dire circumstances, but I doubt it.
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
I will actually cry if I don't get this soon :frown: I'm going to phone them tomorrow. I wonder if they can speed up the process a little if you're in dire circumstances, but I doubt it.

Glasgow Uni offer a hardship fund, for students who "due to circumstances outwith their control, are in severe financial difficulties which is detrimental to the completion of studies."

http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/registry/students/studentfinance/emergency/long/shf/#d.en.32983
Not sure if you'd be entitled though.
Reply 4

Good luck phoning them, one of my friends applied for his SAAS on May and didnt get paid until roughly a month before out final exams. Granted this was 2 years ago so maybe they are better and fixing their problems. The good thing was he got it all back dated.
Reply 5
Original post by xangelinax
Good luck phoning them, one of my friends applied for his SAAS on May and didnt get paid until roughly a month before out final exams. Granted this was 2 years ago so maybe they are better and fixing their problems. The good thing was he got it all back dated.

:lolwut: Sorry? When were your final exams?
Reply 6
Original post by Popppppy
Glasgow Uni offer a hardship fund, for students who "due to circumstances outwith their control, are in severe financial difficulties which is detrimental to the completion of studies."

http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/registry/students/studentfinance/emergency/long/shf/#d.en.32983
Not sure if you'd be entitled though.

Thanks. I told my mum about this and she doesn't want me doing it, but I think it's out of pride.

Even if I had a definitive date for when I'll get it, I'd feel better. It's the thought of maybe waiting until like November that is panicking me. I don't have the money for books, stationery, travel, a proper food shop, anything.
Reply 7
Just phoned SAAS after being on hold for an hour. They said it'll be at least 3-4 weeks before I get my award notice. :frown:

This is a disaster. :frown:
Reply 8
:lolwut: Sorry? When were your final exams?

On the June of the next year.

Just phoned SAAS after being on hold for an hour. They said it'll be at least 3-4 weeks before I get my award notice. :frown:

This is a disaster. :frown:

Sorry to hear that you'll need to wait so long, you can try get help from your university.
Reply 9
Original post by xangelinax
On the June of the next year.

Sorry to hear that you'll need to wait so long, you can try get help from your university.

Wow that sucks.

I think I'll have to. If I'm meticulous with it I'll be ok for another month or so, any longer and I'm ****ed. My dad just texted me this second telling me to get onto the hardship fund.

EDIT: It says I may have to appear before a Committee to discuss it. God that sounds embarrassing :indiff:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending