The Student Room Group

What is with some people at petrol kiosk?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by BulgeBracket
One day, my car was dying, so I had to put as much as I could into it..
I only had €1.20 on me:rolleyes:

Long story short after painstakingly pumping in that much, I didnt even have the full €1.20, so the Polish woman in the store started shouting that she was calling the police over the 14 cent in front of about 10 people :redface:

But she had a point, though, surely? :smile:

If EVERYONE avoided paying 14 cents, the garage would go under. They only make about 1p per litre (so your 14 cents was equivalent to the "theft" of over 12 litres to them).

Most garages have a sign that says "please make sure you have the means to pay" and another that says "all cases of non-payment are considered theft" (with an official Police Logo).
Original post by iain_tk
If you are happy to drag a hose to either side of your car, hence use any pump. Explain how people waiting to use a pump on the same side of the filler cap would ever effect you ?

Because frequently there are plenty of pumps which aren't in use and you get stuck in a huge queue of cars who are not prepared to use them because the pumps are on the opposite side to their filler cap.

It doesn't bother me if I'm on my motorbike because I just nip through the gaps and go fill up at the empty pumps. Last time I had to go fill up my car though the local petrol station, which has 14 pumps, 7 left sided, 7 right sided, all of the right sided ones were in use, only 1 of the left sided ones were in use, yet nobody could get to the other ones because there was such a queue of people waiting to use the pumps that were on the "correct" side.

Original post by DJkG.1
I don't care how much you pump just MOVE YOUR ****ING CAR OUT THE WAY OF THE PUMP before you go to pay please. :mad:

That's what irritates me lol.

You do realise that petrol stations can't turn the pump on for somebody until the person before them has paid? So nothing is achieved by people moving as soon as they have filled up except for them having to park again and block even more space in the station.
Original post by DOAADI
But she had a point, though, surely? :smile:

If EVERYONE avoided paying 14 cents, the garage would go under. They only make about 1p per litre (so your 14 cents was equivalent to the "theft" of over 12 litres to them).

Most garages have a sign that says "please make sure you have the means to pay" and another that says "all cases of non-payment are considered theft" (with an official Police Logo).

The retail margin of fuel at most UK petrol kiosk is less than 10p per litre.

I know of 1 in London that has a retail margin of 0.5p per litre on all fuel sold, reason it stays open? A certain oil company subsidises the rents and utilities as it turns out that it was cheaper for them to have that forecourt open than it was to have an advertising billboard in the City of London.
Original post by py0alb
It's a ****ing plastic hose, not a huge set of keys. What is wrong with you?

Plastic hose it is, but the car may have road grime on it and dragging a hose against it would be sufficient to cause some damage to the paintwork. Will be especially noticeable if the car is dark coloured.
Original post by DOAADI

Not in Ireland they dont.:tongue:
Ah no, it was clearly an emergency and non-intentional..

And its not the same as stealing 14 litres, its the same as stealing 14 litres worth of profit (14c). If I stole 14 actual litres they would also have to cover the cost that isnt profit?
Reply 45
Original post by Erich Hartmann
The retail margin of fuel at most UK petrol kiosk is less than 10p per litre.

I know of 1 in London that has a retail margin of 0.5p per litre on all fuel sold, reason it stays open? A certain oil company subsidises the rents and utilities as it turns out that it was cheaper for them to have that forecourt open than it was to have an advertising billboard in the City of London.

Like I said, they only make about 1p per litre on fuel:

http://www.petrolprices.com/price-of-petrol.html

Delivery and retail amounts to 5p of the current pump price.
Reply 46
Original post by Elanor92
Some people have bigger cars where the hose won't reach and some people are unable to pull it at that angle.

Nonsense. My dad drives a ford galaxy, and I've never once seen a pump that wouldn't reach round to the other side.

If people don't possess the basic levels of co-ordination necessary to pull the hose round, then they're definitely not co-ordinated enough to be in charge of a motor vehicle.
Reply 47
Original post by DOAADI
Most garages have a sign which says "do not move your car until you've paid".

**** that... follow a sign or your common sense lol?

PS East Midlands huh.. respect bruv.
Reply 48
Original post by BulgeBracket
Not in Ireland they dont.:tongue:
Ah no, it was clearly an emergency and non-intentional..

And its not the same as stealing 14 litres, its the same as stealing 14 litres worth of profit (14c). If I stole 14 actual litres they would also have to cover the cost that isnt profit?

To the person who makes the profit, it is the same as "stealing" 12 litres - particularly when the margin is so small.

Why do you think so many garages have closed down over the last 10 years (and been turned into car washes)? The same thing is happening to pubs which also have a very low profit margin.

It might be different in Ireland (until recently, the whole learner/licensed driving thing over there was almost non-existent), but it still amounts to wanting something you can't afford to pay for.

I'm not having a go, but you can't say it's all right - because if everyone did it it would be a disaster for the garage :smile: For all you know - and it IS Ireland - you could have been the 20th person that day to try it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by enzoalex
Maybe that's all they need to get home?

Maybe they only have £4 on them?

Maybe they borrowed the car off someone, and they used £4 of petrol?

Maybe... I'm sure there's countless other reasons.

And I understand why you would be frustrated.

How the hell can you borrow a car? This isn't america, the driver has to be insured to the car... it's not like america where the car can be insured and anyone with a license can drive it! ??

Correct if wrong!
Reply 50
Original post by DJkG.1
**** that... follow a sign or your common sense lol?

PS East Midlands huh.. respect bruv.

Sometimes in the battle between commonsense and the vehicle registration camera system garages often have, the latter wins out :wink:

In high risk areas, you even have to pay BEFORE you can draw fuel.

I drove into one of those, saw the sign, thought **** it because I was in a hurry, and drove to one that didn't require pre-payment. My choice :smile:
Original post by bramz19
I work at a petrol station, plenty of people do it. Nothing wrong with it, they can put as much or as little in as they want. One man the other day put £2 in a huge brand new Audi saloon. Don't really understand why this is annoying you.

Also, LOL at 'petrol kiosk'. Sounds so quaint, I love that.

He probably was the guy delivering the car I reckon?

I just can't understand how some people could do it, since if you pump that little then you got to queue again for fuel. I personally don't like spending time at the kiosk forecourt as I don't particularly like the smell of petrol or diesel. Normally I get to the pump, and I will only go to one that has a Pay @ Pump, swipe the card, fuel up till it is full and off I go till it shows the low fuel warning again.
Reply 52
Original post by DOAADI
Sometimes in the battle between commonsense and the vehicle registration camera system garages often have, the latter wins out :wink:

Those cams are for fuel-thieves, and occasionally are linked to police databases to record uninsured cars etc. They ain't gunna use them to enforce their rules on cars parking up before paying lol.

I drove into one of those, saw the sign, thought **** it because I was in a hurry, and drove to one that didn't require pre-payment. My choice :smile:

Yeh that's gays I wouldn't use one of those either.
Original post by mackemforever
Because frequently there are plenty of pumps which aren't in use and you get stuck in a huge queue of cars who are not prepared to use them because the pumps are on the opposite side to their filler cap.

It doesn't bother me if I'm on my motorbike because I just nip through the gaps and go fill up at the empty pumps. Last time I had to go fill up my car though the local petrol station, which has 14 pumps, 7 left sided, 7 right sided, all of the right sided ones were in use, only 1 of the left sided ones were in use, yet nobody could get to the other ones because there was such a queue of people waiting to use the pumps that were on the "correct" side.

You do realise that petrol stations can't turn the pump on for somebody until the person before them has paid? So nothing is achieved by people moving as soon as they have filled up except for them having to park again and block even more space in the station.

That's a lie. I've seen 4/5 people topping up all at once before lmao!!
petrol kiosks like tesco express where some people put petrol in their cars then go shopping i mean doesnt anyone else need the petrol
Reply 55
What is with some people at petrol kiosk?

Read that in a Russian accent.
Reply 56
Original post by DJkG.1
Those cams are for fuel-thieves, and occasionally are linked to police databases to record uninsured cars etc. They ain't gunna use them to enforce their rules on cars parking up before paying lol.

But moving your car could trigger the alarm.

Anyways, if you don't fart about it only takes a minute to pay, so it's hardly the end of the world. As others have said, it's the shoppers and other people devoid of any social awareness who are the real problem :smile:
Original post by DOAADI
To the person who makes the profit, it is the same as "stealing" 12 litres - particularly when the margin is so small.

Why do you think so many garages have closed down over the last 10 years (and been turned into car washes)? The same thing is happening to pubs which also have a very low profit margin.

It might be different in Ireland (until recently, the whole learner/licensed driving thing over there was almost non-existent), but it still amounts to wanting something you can't afford to pay for.

I'm not having a go, but you can't say it's all right - because if everyone did it it would be a disaster for the garage :smile: For all you know - and it IS Ireland - you could have been the 20th person that day to try it.

Im saying its not the end of the world in a one-off, emergency situation, I wasnt "trying" anything lol

Stealing 12/14 litres would be much worse because they would lose the whole cost, not just the missing profit (e.g. £14.xx vs 14p)

I dont think people's car running out of petrol in an emergency situation is directly responsible for the closing of petrol stations; the low margins are probably a major cause, but it's the business those people decided to get into...

Anyways, just a little ancedote from my 206 days :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by DJkG.1
I don't care how much you pump just MOVE YOUR ****ING CAR OUT THE WAY OF THE PUMP before you go to pay please. :mad:

That's what irritates me lol.

You earn a rep for your sig

EDIT: The Neg shows someone clearly doesn't like Palestine
(edited 12 years ago)
People shopping at petrol kiosk, believe it or not many of these places generate more profits from selling topups and food stuff than they do fuel. Many that are owned by supermarkets for example purposely hike the price up a bit as an enticement for you to go into the main store to buy stuff but they won't be declining the offer to take your money if you choose to buy at the kiosk.

Original post by DOAADI

Where do such kiosk exist? I've yet to actually see one that you've got to prepay... having said that I thought it was common sense to not move your car until you've paid, in any case most don't have that big a forecourt that you could park at.... so I wouldn't know where you could park while you go in to pay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending