The Student Room Group

Ask ACCA - Your questions answered

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by TraKKtion
The first link u sent me doesn't work.

Hi,

Sorry about that link, try this:

https://portal.accaglobal.com/accrweb/faces/page/public/accreditations/enquiry/main/EnqInstitutionsTable.jspx

If this doesn't work let me know and I will try to figure out where I am going wrong!

Thanks,

Laura
Reply 21
Original post by a20074356
I am hoping for an unbiased reply lol :smile:
what are the major differences between ACCA abd ACA and all the other major qualifications?
any advantages/disadvantages?
any recommendations?
Thank you...

Hi,
Thanks for your question...naturally, I am going to recommend ACCA over other qualifications, but in terms of differences, the main distinction of the ACCA Qualification is that it is global and diverse:

- We are a truly global organisation. ACCA supports 147,000 members and 424,000 students in 170 countries. We have a network of 83 offices and centres around the world, and a global total of 8,500 Approved Employers in 112 countries
- 86% of employers are likely to recommend us
- We like to lead the way, and continue to do so - we were the first accountancy body to admit women in 1909, and in 1999 we were the first to introduce computer-based exams. Now, we have the highest percentage of female members (44%), compared to others such as ICAEW, where only 25% of members are male
- We stay modern by having a young, innovative member base - 69% of our members are under 45 years old, compared to other associations who have an aging membership base.
- You can train and then work in any sector with the ACCA Qualification, anywhere in the world

However, that all said I would recommend you research all the qualifications and see which best suits you. Take a look at www.accaglobal.com/ukgraduates if you need more information.

Hope this helps!

Laura
Reply 22
Original post by Naylee
Hi,I am currently studying ACCA in Kenya and would like to come and start my degree at UCL for information Management for Business.I opted into Oxford Brookes degree program.I was wondering,when I come to london,which place can I get someone to help me out with the project?
Thank you.

Hi Naylee,

I would recommend looking at www.accaglobal.com/ukgraduates/international, which has lots of information about coming to the UK to study, including links to the UK Borders Agency, which you will need to contact before you come over.

Also, you can call our global customer services centre, ACCA Connect, on +44 (0)141 582 2000, and speak to someone when you arrive, if you need anything else.

Hope this helps, and good luck,

Laura
Reply 23
Original post by Destitude
Hi Laura

I completed a degree in Accounting & Finance at University which has given me exemptions for papers F1 - F9. Do I need to register with ACCA to claim these exemptions, if so? when?

Also, I am now pursuing a Masters right now which will end on September next year, should I register with ACCA then? :confused:

Thanks

Hi Destitute,

Well done on completing your degree, great to hear you would like to do the ACCA Qualfiication. Even though you have exemptions, you still have apply to become a student - visit http://www.accaglobal.com/en/qualifications/apply-now.html to apply.

You can register as a student at any time, and as you register for exams or claim exemptions you will be asked for payment.

Re: taking your masters, I would recommend giving our customer service centre, ACCA Connect, a call to check when you should apply - their telephone number is +44 (0)141 582 2000.

I hope this helps,

Laura
Reply 24
Original post by Katie_08
Hi Laura, i was wondering if you could tell me a little bit about the ACCA qualifications. To pass do i need to do the exams and work at the same time? and what qualification would i come out with in the end? Thank you

H Katie,

There are three elements to becoming a chartered certified accountant: exams, ethics and experience. There are 14 exams to complete, although you could qualify for exemptions from some of the papers. You will also complete an online Professional Ethics module, and you need to gain three years relevant work experience as well before you can become an ACCA member. Take a look at www.accaglobal.com/ukgraduates/qualification to find out more.

You can work and study at the same time, if you like, but it is completely up to you - if you are sponsored by your employer to do ACCA, it can work very well this way. Visit www.accaglobal.com/ukgraduates/employers to see some graduate recruitment campaigns happening right now.

When you finish, you will be an ACCA member, and can use these letters after your name. You will be a chartered certified accountant, and can work in any sector, anywhere in the world, once you qualify.

Hope this helps,

Laura
Reply 25
Original post by rowarth
Hi Laura,

I am a third year studying Accountancy and Finance at the University of Derby.

I am predicted a 1st / 2:1, however I have really bad A Level grades (C in IT and a D in Business Studies) and an AS Level grade D in Maths, due to messing around too much when I was 16/17 etc.

What's your opinion on my prospects of attaining graduate employment with an Accountancy firm with these grades? and what's your experience with dealing with people in this kind of situation? Furthermore I have done extra curricular activities such as attaining an award in leadership and management endorsed by the ILM, and have done a summer work placement within the Finance department at my University, could this improve my competitive advantage despite my grades.

Regards,

Luke

Hi Luke,

Some of the top finance graduate recruiters do look at a-level results, as they get so many applications that they need to, to narrow down applicants. However, there are many other options to consider.

I would recommend researching different organisations, not necessarily accoutancy companies, especially small businesses. As you will have a relevant degree, you will be a good candidate for smaller firms, as you will have ACCA exam exemptions, which will cut down on their training costs to get you qualified.

All of your extra curricular activities will really help you, and also if you do any relevant voluntary/internship work, don't forget this counts towards your ACCA experience. In my experience, a lot of people I interview and meet come from lots of different backgrounds, but that is one of the good things about the ACCA Qualification, there is open access to everyone. You just have to work hard once you start it!

Have a look at www.accaglobal.com/ukgraduates/employers for some current graduate recruitment opportunies, to give you an idea of what they are looking for. Also, we have our own careers portal at www.accacareers.com which might be useful?

Best of luck!

Laura
Hi Laura, what is the actual duration of the ACCA Programme, i.e. number of years. Is practical experience essential in order to be fully qualified as ACCA. Like the post above my A level grades are poor aswell, but Im on track to get a 1st, would a MSC or a MBA be of any benefit to me in the long run, if I enter the accountancy profession, thanks.
Reply 27
Original post by DMU student
Hi Laura, what is the actual duration of the ACCA Programme, i.e. number of years. Is practical experience essential in order to be fully qualified as ACCA. Like the post above my A level grades are poor aswell, but Im on track to get a 1st, would a MSC or a MBA be of any benefit to me in the long run, if I enter the accountancy profession, thanks.

Hi,

If you will have a relevant degree you can claim exemptions from some exams, which cuts down the time it takes to complete the ACCA Qualification. From student to membership it takes on average about four years to qualify.

However, you do need to finish three full years of practical experience before you can qualify. The best way to get this experience is while you are studying, to complement your learning with on-the-job tasks.

To become a qualified accountant, I would recommend starting the ACCA when you finish your degree, rather than doing a masters. But the choice has to be yours!

Hope this helps,
Laura
hello i am interested in doing a degree in accounting and finance in the hopes of gaining exemptions. after i graduate will it be hard to secure a training contract to become an accountant. also can you inform me whether acca is recognized in canada because i intend to move there in the near future and want to be part of an accountant body which is mutually recognized
what is the average salary for someone in london who is a acca graduate also are you put at a disadvantage by some employers for gaining exemptions in your degree
Reply 30
Original post by Mandela_nelz
hello i am interested in doing a degree in accounting and finance in the hopes of gaining exemptions. after i graduate will it be hard to secure a training contract to become an accountant. also can you inform me whether acca is recognized in canada because i intend to move there in the near future and want to be part of an accountant body which is mutually recognized

Hi Mandela,

Thanks for your questions.

After you graduate, you can claim your exemptions, and this will actually be in your favour, especially with small businesses, as it will cut down on their training costs. You can find out more about graduate training programmes at www.accaglobal.com/ukgraduates/employers

ACCA are in Canada - check out their website at www.accaglobal.com/canada for more information.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Laura
Reply 31
Original post by Mandela_nelz
what is the average salary for someone in london who is a acca graduate also are you put at a disadvantage by some employers for gaining exemptions in your degree

Hi Mandela,

Just thought I would reply to this separately to avoid confusion!

Salaries can rise quickly, depending on your progress, and generous/flexible packages are available with some roles. In the public practice sector, salaries can double once you have qualified. Depending on which sector you go into, starting salaries range from £15,000 per year to £26,000 per year.

Hope this helps,

Laura
Reply 32
A big thank you to everyone who asked questions over the past week. You can always message me or post on my profile if you have any more queries about the ACCA Qualification.

Thanks guys, and good luck everyone!

Laura
Official Representative
Reply 33
hey guys am very confused
plz help :frown:
basically am currently studying audiology degree. am in 2nd year but recently i have developed a great interest in accounting and i want to start doing acca asap but on the other side i want to finish my audiology degree first.
however, I will be doing my placement starting in may. it is 12 month placement so i want to enrol next year and do acca part time if that's possible.
any advice plz
am very confused.
:frown:
Open question - I'm not a finance graduate, but rather did a traditional humanities degree and followed it up with a Management degree. I'm applying to a lot of accountancy firms at the moment, but failing to be hired by one, I'm planning on doing either the AAT or ACCA and trying again next year. Is the ACCA suitable considering such a background, particularly considering I'd be studying part time, or is the AAT preferable? I know that the ACCA is perceived both as harder and as more respectable, in addition for qualifying you to become a chartered accountant, but is it suitable for entry level?
(edited 12 years ago)
I think I've already asked an ACCA rep this question before, but I just wanted to be 100% the answer I got was correct before I put in my application: Is it possible to claim exemptions after the your initial registration? I haven't got the results or the paperwork for my prior learning yet, but it should exempt me from F1 - F3.
Reply 36
Dear Laura,

Thanks for your answer,
Am Rose and still waiting for my reply from Uganda office however
need a tip on some of the ACCA basis that i need to know and if i can get them in the within Uganda
Reply 37
Original post by ACCA
Hi Naylee,

I would recommend looking at www.accaglobal.com/ukgraduates/international, which has lots of information about coming to the UK to study, including links to the UK Borders Agency, which you will need to contact before you come over.

Also, you can call our global customer services centre, ACCA Connect, on +44 (0)141 582 2000, and speak to someone when you arrive, if you need anything else.

Hope this helps, and good luck,

Laura

Thank you
Reply 38
Hi Laura,

I would like to do my Professional papers (P1,2,3 and 2 option papers) at top universities as ranked by the Times Higher Education.

Could you advise me which of the universities listed offer the ACCA Professional Programme?

Your reply is highly appreciated.

Thanks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 39
Hi Laura,

I'd just like to see what your opinion is on the age old debate of ACA vs ACCA.

People often dub ACA to be the more dominant qualification because of its reputation. What would say to students who have a choice between studying the ACA or ACCA about why you think the ACCA would be more superior.

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending