The Student Room Group

Training Contracts 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cocacola2
Start applying for vacation schemes and TCs as soon as possible, you don't have to worry about the LPC yet. That can be arranged in the year prior to starting.

There is no student finance available for the LPC course (approx £10k fees + living cost need to be factored in), so ideally you need to secure a TC prior to arranging the LPC.

You will be applying this year for TCs that commence in 2014. Next year I presume is your final year. If you have a TC in the bag by Sept 2012, you can then arrange to start your LPC Sept 2013.

With respect though, it seems like you haven't researched what you want to do and how you want to go about it. I hope this post gives you a basic gist of the timeline and many law firms have 'timelines' on their graduate websites, vut you need to ask yourself, what kind of law firm you would like to work for in terms of practice areas, size, location and so on. Then start short listing firms you actually want to apply to, research them, make sure you fit their requirements etc.

Start reading/researching.. and remember competition is fierce, try to be flexible and adaptable in your approach. Studying law is completely different to practising law, so you probably really don't know what you like until you have experienced it. Try to arrange informal work experience if possible as well. You will need lots of different experiences from work, study, hobbies/interests that you can rely on to demonstrate your qualities as a candidate.

good luck..

Thanks, I have applied for work experience, work placements etc, but no-one is willing to take me on, I have some work experience but none law related and all the firms seem reluctant to take me on without experience . . . just that first step is all I need!

I am really looking into Enviromental Law, while I am not crazy like most of these tree huggers, I would like to help conserve the world's resources as much as possible. Although I suppose that much of the work would be representing big companies against claims and lawsuits of enviromental concerns lol.

Thanks again, I have just now begun to apply for TCs at local firms and regional firms. I already feel the nerves! Anxious for replies! Although without experience I am absolutely not confident of my chances, I will likely be rejected . . . but oh well :biggrin:
Original post by TheSurgeon345

Original post by TheSurgeon345
Thanks, I have applied for work experience, work placements etc, but no-one is willing to take me on, I have some work experience but none law related and all the firms seem reluctant to take me on without experience . . . just that first step is all I need!

I am really looking into Enviromental Law, while I am not crazy like most of these tree huggers, I would like to help conserve the world's resources as much as possible. Although I suppose that much of the work would be representing big companies against claims and lawsuits of enviromental concerns lol.

Thanks again, I have just now begun to apply for TCs at local firms and regional firms. I already feel the nerves! Anxious for replies! Although without experience I am absolutely not confident of my chances, I will likely be rejected . . . but oh well :biggrin:

There is nothing wrong in applying for VSs without experience I think. Especially with the bigger firms who put a lot of resources into recruitment and will take into account a lot of other factors, such as extra curricular activities and non legal work experience.
Original post by allornothing
Another fairly silly question but I agonise over these type of things:

One of the questions on an app is 'What makes a good commercial lawyer? - What skills do you need? Why do you need these skills? How have you developed these skills? How do you believe you can demonstrate the skills required?'

I can't decide whether to break the skills up with sub-headings or write in continuous prose...

headings can be a good idea, i did this for my apps, listed the skills that i though were need and then listed how i had them e.g.

Teamwork: when volunteering....

etc etc
Original post by GoBigOrGoHome
headings can be a good idea, i did this for my apps, listed the skills that i though were need and then listed how i had them e.g.

Teamwork: when volunteering....

etc etc

One of the questions on an app is 'What makes a good commercial lawyer? - What skills do you need? Why do you need these skills? How have you developed these skills? How do you believe you can demonstrate the skills required?'

I can't decide whether to break the skills up with sub-headings or write in continuous prose...

GoBig - correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you mean using headings when planning, rather than when answering the Q, right? As your post is a bit unclear.

allornothing - I would use heading in the plan/draft answer, but write the answer in continuous prose.
Original post by cocacola2
GoBig - correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you mean using headings when planning, rather than when answering the Q, right? As your post is a bit unclear.

no when answering, writing such a long answer in prose is going to be disjointed and hard to read. using headings is perfectly acceptable and shows that you can think.

Rather than a massive block of prose, you instead see very clear almost bullet pointed answer that can convey clear linkage between the question asked and your answer whilst highlight the correlation between the qualities required of a comm.solicitor and how you have demonstrated or possess them.
Hi everyone,

New here to TSR but have been monitoring the forums for a few years now, and thought it was about time to join the fold!

I'm applying for VSs and TCs as well and was just wondering if anybody who has already secured one could offer some advice - I've just had a revamp of my CV and am now up to date with all these bullet points and headers etc, but I'm now wondering what the most appropriate way to fill in application forms is! I've been told it's best to avoid using 'I' and obviously answers have to be succinct and to the point, but do I answer these questions in continuous prose or do I revert back to the bullet points ala CV? As an English Lit graduate I hate bullet points anyway!

If anybody could offer me anything in the way of filling these application forms out it would be a great help; it's a worrying enough process anyway regardless of whether or not I'm actually doing the basics right!

Don't agonise over them, you'll drive yourself mad if these little things get to you. I genuinely don't think it matters which way you approach this question, but I would do it in continuous prose with a new paragraph for each skill.

It follows a very simple structure of "Skill X - I have developed this by doing Y"

X can be commercial awareness, Y can be doing a business related elective, reading financial press, working in the industry before, etc.

X can be analytical and presentation skills, Y can be writing for a student newspaper, doing essay subjects at A-Level, mooting, public speaking of any kind, etc.

It goes on and on like this, and there are dozens of possible answers, so you're unlikely to be way off the mark.

Good luck.
Original post by GoBigOrGoHome
no when answering, writing such a long answer in prose is going to be disjointed and hard to read. using headings is perfectly acceptable and shows that you can think.

Rather than a massive block of prose, you instead see very clear almost bullet pointed answer that can convey clear linkage between the question asked and your answer whilst highlight the correlation between the qualities required of a comm.solicitor and how you have demonstrated or possess them.

I think it doesn't need to be a massive block of prose, most questions have a 200/250 word limit and it is easy to write separate paragraphs, rather than use headings which seems a bit odd imo :tongue:... But whatever suits you I guess.

Original post by hmaus
Personally I used continuous prose in my answers and I think that's what is expected. I never used headings but did use pretty short paragraphs to keep it readable. IMO bullet points are fine for CVs but I wouldn't use them in application forms.

I agree. What do you think of using bullet points/hyphens/other methods of 'listing', for the work experience section of online applications?
Thanks for all the advice everyone. Still undecided - definitely won't be putting decisiveness as one of the skills I can demonstrate.

I think generally continuous prose is best, but this question seems to lend itself to headings, but then it is only 250 words. I've done an answer in both formats so will just have to pick one.
Reply 189
Original post by BenJDAndrews
Hi everyone,

New here to TSR but have been monitoring the forums for a few years now, and thought it was about time to join the fold!

I'm applying for VSs and TCs as well and was just wondering if anybody who has already secured one could offer some advice - I've just had a revamp of my CV and am now up to date with all these bullet points and headers etc, but I'm now wondering what the most appropriate way to fill in application forms is! I've been told it's best to avoid using 'I' and obviously answers have to be succinct and to the point, but do I answer these questions in continuous prose or do I revert back to the bullet points ala CV? As an English Lit graduate I hate bullet points anyway!

If anybody could offer me anything in the way of filling these application forms out it would be a great help; it's a worrying enough process anyway regardless of whether or not I'm actually doing the basics right!

I think you'll get a lot of different answers, and unfortunately I don't think any of them will be 100% correct. Even if one of the posters here was graduate recruitment manager for BLP or something, she'd only be able to advise on what that particular firm likes to see. A lot of people will also say to target a few firms you really like, research them and spend a lot of time of the apps.

Thing is, I think there are really only about 15 different questions that get asked on these forms, and some of them will be fairly generic - so you could kind of prepare stock answers and just be careful to tailor them to specific word limits or firm situations. I don't see why you would necessarily answer the "tricky situation where you came out tops" question differently for different firms - but certainly the "why do you want to be a solicitor/work for us?" should be done from scratch every time.

100% I'm not saying cut 'n' paste.
I don't really have a current or former employer to act as a referee. Am i ****ed?
Reply 191
Original post by beepbeeprichie
I don't really have a current or former employer to act as a referee. Am i ****ed?

Not at all. My only long term non-legal work was on the family business so I couldn't really put my dad down as a employment reference, so I just made sure I had two academic referees. I normally only needed one though.
Reply 192
I don't have an employment or academic referee as such.
Reply 193
Olswang halved the number of TCs in Sept '14.

Still, better than axing all of last years'.
Hello all - new to this thread and embarking on first year of applications. Have commenced GDL and am already constantly playing catch up with work let alone starting TC applications - it can only get worse? Have managed to secure Travers Smith Christmas VS but have not started TC applications yet although I have drawn up my list of potential targets... when is the best time to start applying? Any advice welcome as relatively new to this!
Original post by singingapricot
Hello all - new to this thread and embarking on first year of applications. Have commenced GDL and am already constantly playing catch up with work let alone starting TC applications - it can only get worse? Have managed to secure Travers Smith Christmas VS but have not started TC applications yet although I have drawn up my list of potential targets... when is the best time to start applying? Any advice welcome as relatively new to this!

My mantra last year was the earlier the better, as long as it has no adverse effects on quality. I had most of my applications out within the first week of the applications opening, and then some. This means I was especially busy on the weeks of October 1st and November 1st. I also played the numbers game- applying to loads of firms. I remember many people last year advising against making so many applications. I do not regret it one bit.

Congrats on your vs and good luck with your apps! :smile:
Hope everything is going well with all your apps! I'm finding rejection very disheartening... I'm final year non-law and I'm finding the online tests really difficult. Is there any way you can improve on the Watson Glaser? Particularly regarding evaluation of arguments, I feel I need much more practice or at least some way of spotting what they're looking for. I didn't used to find shl tests too difficult but this seems like a whole different ball game. Is there any advice you guys could offer on how you managed to improve your scores?
Original post by Brevity
Out of curiosity, does anyone know when the new Chambers and Partners Student Guide is released?

If you're referring to the 2012 version, it has been released. I have one.
Reply 198
Original post by Frances99
Good luck!

I'm a veteran of the 2013 thread, having obtained a training contract at a competitive regional firm in July. I mostly applied for City firms but things just seemed to slot in place at the firm I'm going to so I accepted their offer. I was interviewed at, or invited to interview at, Baker & McKenzie, Dewey & LeBoeuf, Hogan Lovells, Mayer Brown, SJ Berwin, Slaughter & May, and Travers Smith. I did not attend all of those interviews as some requests arrived after I had accepted my training contract offer (which was not with any of those firms listed). I am happy to proofread applications/share with you the structure of my forms but please bear in mind my own success rate and that I can only speak from personal experience.

If anyone is specifically considering applying to regional firms I can do my best to offer my experiences too.

Hi! I'm applying for SJ Berwin and also a regional firm (which I have my heart set on). What do you believe caused you to be short-listed?

Also, when applying should I apply for the Summer scheme separately or apply for Summer scheme and training contract at the same time?

Many, many thanks!!
Hi

has anyone read/used this book: http://www.sweetandmaxwell.co.uk/Catalogue/ProductDetails.aspx?recordid=4209&productid=344821

If so, what did you think of it?

Generally, what do you guys think of these types of books? Will it just be stuff I should already know/freely available on the internet etc?

Or do you think they can actually be helpful?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending