The Student Room Group

Training Contracts 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by suffocation1992
I suddenly feel very overwhelmed. I have an interview Thursday at quite short notice, another Friday and one on Monday and I have to get my house (which housemates have left) cleaned over the weekend so I can move out on Tuesday :frown: That on top of having just finished five days straight of late nights at work, I feel absolutely wrecked! I actually just want all this to be over so I can enjoy a few weeks before term starts again, training contract or no training contract.

Thinking of bingeing on ice cream and choccies tonight #fattyforlife

Did you not say earlier you only had two firms left to hear from? Are any of the three firms you have an interview/AC with, Taylor Wessing?
Original post by NikeSampras
Did you not say earlier you only had two firms left to hear from? Are any of the three firms you have an interview/AC with, Taylor Wessing?

If I didn't write down the third one, it was probably because a few others I applied to have really tiny intakes, so it'd be obvious. Good luck with Taylor Wessing! :smile:
Reply 2162
Got through to a testing centre for Ward Hadaway in Newcastle. Anyone know what that entails?!
Original post by Mattup
Got through to a testing centre for Ward Hadaway in Newcastle. Anyone know what that entails?!

http://www.rollonfriday.com/Discussion/TrainingDiscussion/tabid/78/Id/9277636/currentPage/0/Default.aspx

Posted that for someone else a few pages back... definitely worth a look, offers some very specific information. :smile:
Reply 2164
Mills & Reeve PFO
Original post by TChunter
Mills & Reeve PFO

Same :/
Was a bit annoyed I could only add supplementary information to my useless VS application. I feel I am such a better candidate and can answer App forms so much better than last year, so immediately felt at a disadvantage.
Reply 2166
Original post by mwnic
Congrats.

Anyone done the Burges Salmon AC? I'm there on Thursday.

Is anyone still waiting to hear back after doing the RPC verbal reasoning test? Getting nervous about that one, I don't think it went well :frown:

I have done the Open Day and the Vac Scheme at Burges Salmon if thats of any help. What do you want to know? (Im new here: whats an AC?)
Reply 2167
Original post by tembo
I have done the Open Day and the Vac Scheme at Burges Salmon if thats of any help. What do you want to know? (Im new here: whats an AC?)

AC = Assessment Centre.

Based on what I've seen, they only run ACs for people who haven't done their vac scheme, so it sounds like they run a few presentations, and also do a verbal reasoning and a group exercise. Did you do either of them during the vac scheme?

More broadly, how did you find them as a firm?
Reply 2168
Osborne Clarke- PFO

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2169
Original post by Tom_Hagen
http://www.rollonfriday.com/Discussion/TrainingDiscussion/tabid/78/Id/9277636/currentPage/0/Default.aspx

Posted that for someone else a few pages back... definitely worth a look, offers some very specific information. :smile:

Ahh that's awesome, thank you so much!
Haven't heard from quite a few yet including howes percival, Browne Jacobson and eversheds. Does this mean I'm unemployable? :frown:
Original post by Princessjess
Haven't heard from quite a few yet including howes percival, Browne Jacobson and eversheds. Does this mean I'm unemployable? :frown:

"There's room at the top they're telling you still..."

Browne Jacobsons have been doing telephone interviews this and last week to decide who to invite to ACs next week. The last day of telephone interviews is tomorrow.
If you did the VS or went to an open day it may be that you don't need to do a telephone interview...
Reply 2173

Don't panic yet, I'm still waiting on loads (although I have heard from BJs).

- Cleary Gottlieb
- Mayer Brown
- Taylor Wessing
- SNR Denton
- Farrer
- SJ Berwin
- Lewis Silkin
- Jones Day (although apparently they've filled their places with vaccies)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by mwnic
Don't panic yet, I'm still waiting on loads (although I have heard from BJs).

- Cleary Gottlieb
- Mayer Brown
- Taylor Wessing
- SNR Denton
- Farrer
- SJ Berwin
- Lewis Silkin
- Jones Day (although apparently they've filled their places with vaccies)

Mayer Brown have started giving out PFOs, I just got one :redface:
Reply 2175
Original post by alibaba03
Mayer Brown have started giving out PFOs, I just got one :redface:

Hmm, not sure whether I like the sound of this or not! :eek:

Sorry to hear that though.
Reply 2176
Just got the email from Jones Day saying they had filled up their training contract spaces with placement students.
Reply 2177
PFO from Jones day and a weird email from SC saying TC application will remain on hold for the short tem....not sure if that's a good thing.... :frown:
Reply 2178
I wish the firms I have applied to would hurry up, it's ruining my golf all this worrying
Reply 2179
Original post by mwnic
AC = Assessment Centre.

Based on what I've seen, they only run ACs for people who haven't done their vac scheme, so it sounds like they run a few presentations, and also do a verbal reasoning and a group exercise. Did you do either of them during the vac scheme?

More broadly, how did you find them as a firm?

LOVE THEM love them LOVE THEM. Really want to work there! Still waiting to hear from Norton Rose but if I get an offer there that's definitely my first choice. Such great people! I'll cry if I don't get it :P

We had to do a verbal reasoning test, which they apparently just use as a "cut-of" point. Either you pass the x% required, in which case they'll look at your application, or you don't and then that's it. It doesn't actually matter whàt score you get, as long as its above the required x%. Well that's what they told me anyway when I did the vac scheme (did a verbal reasoning test at the Open Day in order to get on the vac scheme).

Group exercise is likely to be a negotiation exercise. We each got a position to defend in a fake scenario, so for. my group was supposed to be on the management board of a firm, and we had to decide what to do with £1000,- or something. We then each got a position to defend, so I had to argue that we had to spend £1000,- on "greening" the building... its quite straight forward and nothing you can prepare either :smile:

They're really nice people. Won't try and stress you out at all but they'll just try and get the "best" out of you!

What else have you applied for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending