The Student Room Group

Training Contracts 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by littlefish101
Does PM use the same test for both Vac scheme and TC interview? And does it only consist of an abstract reasoning test and nothing else, i.e no numerical or verbal reasoning? Also how long does the test last?

I have my vac scheme interview with them soon and they are not giving us any info on the test. They only say we don't need to prepare...

Please see my earlier post.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1779007&page=24&p=38840529#post38840529
Has anyone got any experience of assessment centres at CC?
Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone here has had experience of the TC interview at SJ Berwin? I've got a vac scheme there and would love to get a TC .
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3903
Has anyone heard back from Howard KennedyFSI yet?
Hey guys,

I have been invited to a testing centre with Ward Hadaway in Leeds on 7th August. Does anybody know what to expect?
Reply 3905
Original post by Danman070492
Hey guys,

I have been invited to a testing centre with Ward Hadaway in Leeds on 7th August. Does anybody know what to expect?

The testing centre is generally a few hours where you have to do an in-tray task. I've done two of them, one I had to look through a contract and then explain to the client whether they had breached it. One I had to write a letter of claim to the other side. Generally it will be writing some sort of professional letter, you should have time to draft it and then re-write. Usually they will like answers that acknowledge the client's financial position (often they say in the instructions they do not want to spend loads) as well as simply giving the necessary advice.

The first year's training centre I then had to handwrite answers to 5 or so legal questions about the legal sector, but I think they've scrapped that this year (from doing it in March/April time).

The assessment centre after this is more about group work & then interview, the testing is just working on your own, in silence, writing.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by reg22
Has anyone heard back from Howard KennedyFSI yet?

Still no word from hkfsi - anyone heard back yet?
Their website says we'll hear back in July to be invited for an interview in August but my email from them says everyone will be contacted regardless...
Reply 3907
Hi Frances hope ur doing well. I have started lpc in jan 2014 and no experince in a law firm any advice u can give me on applying for training contract
Reply 3908
Hi Guys,

Just looking for a bit of advice. Basically, I'm wondering whether its worth me applying for TC's for 2016 intake or to wait until next year;
My Situation is:

Final year non-law student at the University of Glasgow (History)
On track for at least a high 2:1 if not 1st
A*AA at A Level (Politics, History, English Lit)
Good Extra Curricular with good sporting achievements (Won national championship in Boxing and played all levels of football including first XI)
Good non-law work experience ranging from retail (John Lewis, Hollister (grim, I know), Hamleys toys) to Hospitals.

But the worry - absolutely no legal experience whatsoever. I'm hoping to begin shadowing a QC and also spend some time marshalling within the next few weeks but I'm worried that I won't get through the door with no legal experience. I understand I could amass some before 31/07 deadlines, but many non-law deadlines are earlier if not passed in the case of come magic circle firms.

Any advice would be appreciated, unsure where to go from here as I know many firms have a 'once a year application' policy, which I'm unsure would void me for an application this Winter to the 2017 round.

Thanks!
Hey I know this is an old thread but I was going to ask how long the wragge and co situational test was and if you had to complete it within one sitting?
Hi,

Hope everyone is well.

Just a quick question - has anyone given the QLTS exam? Had a few questions about it?

Thanks.
Hi J-SP,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have passed Level 1 (MCT), and am now in the process for preparing for Level 2 (OSCE).

I'm slightly confused and to be honest stuck at the moment.

Samantha

Original post by J-SP
Which exam? There are several different types of assessment.

I haven't sat any but I know a little bit about the process having put people through it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Frances99
Good luck!

I'm a veteran of the 2013 thread, having obtained a training contract at a competitive regional firm in July. I mostly applied for City firms but things just seemed to slot in place at the firm I'm going to so I accepted their offer. I was interviewed at, or invited to interview at, Baker & McKenzie, Dewey & LeBoeuf, Hogan Lovells, Mayer Brown, SJ Berwin, Slaughter & May, and Travers Smith. I did not attend all of those interviews as some requests arrived after I had accepted my training contract offer (which was not with any of those firms listed). I am happy to proofread applications/share with you the structure of my forms but please bear in mind my own success rate and that I can only speak from personal experience.

If anyone is specifically considering applying to regional firms I can do my best to offer my experiences too.

Hi there,

I am a gap year student and really stressing out over the supposed difficulty of getting a TC.

If you dont mind me asking what A-level grades did you get an what uni did you attend?

Additionally what did you do to enhance your application such as work experience etc

Quick Reply

Latest