The Student Room Group

Training Contracts 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
Looks like a lot of folks have been busy with app's and even interviews/offers already! I am hoping to get really stuck in to TC 2014 apps this coming week, after being totally MIA since December (drowning in thesis research, eugh).

Here we go I guess...
Reply 461
I have discussed this with a couple of folks on here now, and wanted to guage whether there is sufficient interest warranting an independent thread.

I have spoken to several frequent posters about forming a small group to peer-review TC applications, particularly those being made to MC firms. Some people are applicants from previous cyclyes who were successful in securing a MC training contract, but most are applying this cycle (some for the first time).

This idea is not at all aimed at facilitating copying, standardisation or the like, but merely to get a small group of current applicants and (especially) successful former MC applicants together to provide some constructive feedback on draft application styles. As you know, there are a good number of professional services out costing as much as GBP 800 per application. Personally, I feel it would be just as helpful to get a small group together to discuss applications ideas.

NB: I think this particular group would work best is small and limited to those applicants seriously considering MC firm applications. This is of course tailored to my own circumstances. However, there would of course be no bar to others setting groups aimed at other applications types (regional, SC, US?).

SO: if you think you would be interested, drop me an inbox. If you are a previous, successful MC applicant, I would be extremely greatful to hear your tips, experiences and advice (even if you do not wish to review applications).
Reply 462
I'm happy to review the odd application. Disclaimer: I didn't apply to (and thus didn't receive offers from) any MC firms, as I was interested in a different type of firm. However, I like to think I know my ****, and I got SC/US offers. £800 for a single application is utterly ludicrous. I get that, if it results in a job, it was completely worth it, but the advice they give is not worth £800.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 463
Original post by hmaus
Interesting idea but I don't think the application technique needed for MC firms and SC/other big City firms is particularly different. For what it's worth I applied to firms spanning these "categories" last year getting a good interview hit rate and my application answers were pretty similar in style for all of them.

It's precisely this misguided attitude that leads a lot of people to apply solely to the MC, fret over whether they're good enough, etc., when the standards required are hardly any different between MC, US and SC

EDIT: Not your attitude, hmaus, but I'm sure you knew that
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 464
Original post by Wildcard
I'm happy to review the odd application. Disclaimer: I didn't apply to (and thus didn't receive offers from) any MC firms, as I was interested in a different type of firm. However, I like to think I know my shit, and I got SC/US offers. £800 for a single application is utterly ludicrous. I get that, if it results in a job, it was completely worth it, but the advice they give is not worth £800.

I VERY strongly agree with your sentiments about the fee's charged by these companies- these "services" are somewhat of a pet peeve of mine.

It is heartbreaking that some people may be lured into shelling out tremendous amounts of money for these services, yet still be ultimately disappointed. I know the services don't claim to be a guarantee of success, but it is disheartening nonetheless.

In any event, I often wonder whether HR people can spot any "tells" in applications aided by these services, or wehter (given sheeer volume of applications) they cannot be differentiated?
At the risk of being controversial, I think these services are worth paying for. HR at MC firms often write about some of the dumb things they see MC applicants write on their application forms, some of the advice is pretty patronising but if people didn't make such basic mistakes it wouldn't be a recurring theme when people like lawcareers.net interview recruiters. I'm sure these candidates are clever but writing a good application form is not as simple as it sounds. I was fine because I had professional parents and a great careers service to help me out, but if you don't have professional parents/siblings or a good careers service I think its really tough.

I think there are a lot of candidates who would gladly pay £800 to get a job at an MC firm and there are a lot of candidates whose application forms, CVs and interview technique leaves a lot to be desired. However I'm sure you can get the service for less than £800.
Reply 466
If you've got, or are predicted, a 2.1. from a top 10 university in a decent subject, have AAA or better at A-Level and some relevant legal work experience, I'll get you an MC interview for £200, only a quarter of the market rate! :tongue:
Reply 467
Interesting points raised all round. I personally wouldn't consider shelling out £800 for such a service...I'd probably have just gone into another career if I didn't get it first, possibly 2nd time round. I don't mind looking over peoples applications, but other than the material you give me to work with, I can't add anything else as I don't actually know you, your personality, history etc. In some ways its useful to chat to your friends (who are not interested in pursuing this career) as they can tend to jog your memory of little things that you've overlooked. These may well be the sort of skills/experiences that are very different to the sort of examples that get mentioned a lot on forums such as this (leading the Young Enterprise team, hockey team etc etc), and thus, ones that may 'stand out' a bit more. I know this helped me a lot, if not for apps it did at the interview stage, when you're looking for a broader pool of experiences to draw on. I do agree to some extent with the posts above, for MC/SC apps if you don't have the grades and/or some sort of legal experience then apps to these firms are never going to end up in an interview.
Also, to add onto jjarvis's comment..purely because my father is a professional is WHY I didn't want him (or anyone for that matter) to look over my apps, so I understand why people might find a faceless reader useful. However, as I mentioned above, the only problem I can see to this approach is that we don't know you, and so will only be able to go on the info given in your app...much as the HR team.
I really don't see why anyone would pay for a CV checking service when so much of the information is available on the internet for free. Particularly general stuff about how to show yourself in the best light.

Sure, a paid service will be able to look at your personal application and offer advice, but if you can't properly structure an answer with correct spelling and grammar, then a career such as law may not be for you.

If you look at a firm's "who we are looking for" section on their website it gives a good indicator of what skills you need to be demonstrating, so you can use this as a springboard.
^ this.

If you can't complete an app form, you aren't equipped for the bleeding job!
Reply 470
Here we go again. Not sure can face it again. Pressure is firmly on once you're on the LPC. Will be marked as damaged goods I fear if I don't get one by end of course.
Original post by Charo_8
Here we go again. Not sure can face it again. Pressure is firmly on once you're on the LPC. Will be marked as damaged goods I fear if I don't get one by end of course.

How many years you been going for? I understand your fear, but you'll be ok.

Admittedly, many people I know who got TCs post-LPC had to paralegal/legal PA it for a while beforehand.
Reply 472
Original post by Charo_8

I am currenlty in the US studying, and when I tell people at law school out here that I am applying for jobs that don't event start until September 2014, they are utterly astonished. Haha. Gotta' love our legal ed. system.
Reply 473
Slaughters post TC interview - how long is the wait? They said something about a Friday meeting of partners? But I know others have heard sooner in previous years ... anyone??
Reply 474
I think this may have been discussed elsewhere on this forum but I thought I might pose the question again.

What are your thoughts on the possibility of being rejected from a firm due to an over-familiarity with another firm? I have a vac scheme and separate bit of semi-paralegaling with an MC firm, but am now applying to other firms. I often refer to my time at this firm as obviously I've picked up some useful skills as a result. Although I try as much as possible to convey my interest in whichever firm I'm applying to, do you think there's a possibility that an applicant might be rejected due to appearing too 'in bed' with another firm?
Reply 475
Original post by myfyriwr
I think this may have been discussed elsewhere on this forum but I thought I might pose the question again.

What are your thoughts on the possibility of being rejected from a firm due to an over-familiarity with another firm? I have a vac scheme and separate bit of semi-paralegaling with an MC firm, but am now applying to other firms. I often refer to my time at this firm as obviously I've picked up some useful skills as a result. Although I try as much as possible to convey my interest in whichever firm I'm applying to, do you think there's a possibility that an applicant might be rejected due to appearing too 'in bed' with another firm?

None whatsoever--in fact, one of the only things that will speed HR along is if they know other firms want you.
Reply 476
Original post by myfyriwr

As I believe was answered last time you asked, there is no chance of this being a negative influence. At worst, neutral; at best, positive.
Reply 477
Anyone heard back from Ashurst?

x
Reply 478
Original post by SLlondon
Anyone heard back from Ashurst?

x

I checked my cvMail account a few hours ago and found an interview offer dated from the 8th March. When I went to the Interview Booking page, it told me that all the interview slots have been allocated to other students! Have sent them an email asking if I can still arrange an interview. Fingers crossed.

The annoying thing is, the email that should have been forwarded straight away from my cvMail account was only sent about 20 minutes ago! Hopefully they'll understand.

Anyway, if you haven't already, I would check your cvMail account directly for any new messages from them, as the email might not have been forwarded yet.
Reply 479
Original post by cdouglas1
I checked my cvMail account a few hours ago and found an interview offer dated from the 8th March. When I went to the Interview Booking page, it told me that all the interview slots have been allocated to other students! Have sent them an email asking if I can still arrange an interview. Fingers crossed.

The annoying thing is, the email that should have been forwarded straight away from my cvMail account was only sent about 20 minutes ago! Hopefully they'll understand.

Anyway, if you haven't already, I would check your cvMail account directly for any new messages from them, as the email might not have been forwarded yet.

I'm sure they will.. I just got offered a TC with them. Good luck with the interview!

x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending