The Student Room Group

Training Contracts 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Got an email today saying that I had passed some psychometric tests and my application had progressed. Not amazing, but better than a PFO.

I had been under the impression that these tests weren't necessarily quantitative, so I'm surprised that they would have "passes" before the deadline (ie before all the results from all prospective candidates were in). I would have thought they'd wait until the deadline, take the top 200 scores and then sift those.
Reply 521
Original post by Clip
Got an email today saying that I had passed some psychometric tests and my application had progressed. Not amazing, but better than a PFO.

I had been under the impression that these tests weren't necessarily quantitative, so I'm surprised that they would have "passes" before the deadline (ie before all the results from all prospective candidates were in). I would have thought they'd wait until the deadline, take the top 200 scores and then sift those.

Most firms seem to have a set benchmark you have to reach for your application to progress then they assess everything else. Hogan Lovells is the same, and at Linklaters you have to score a "3 out of 5" on the watson glaser to reach their benchmark.

If anyone would like to tell me how to get better at the watson glaser please do....doesn't matter how many times I do that practice one on the Hogan Lovells website my results are always crap. I just don't get it :mad:
Reply 522
Original post by Rosey2
Most firms seem to have a set benchmark you have to reach for your application to progress then they assess everything else. Hogan Lovells is the same, and at Linklaters you have to score a "3 out of 5" on the watson glaser to reach their benchmark.

If anyone would like to tell me how to get better at the watson glaser please do....doesn't matter how many times I do that practice one on the Hogan Lovells website my results are always crap. I just don't get it :mad:

I'd never even heard of one until you mentioned it. I tried the one on HL. How do you know what a good mark is, though?
Reply 523
Original post by Clip
I'd never even heard of one until you mentioned it. I tried the one on HL. How do you know what a good mark is, though?

I suppose. I would take a wild stab in the dark and to they expect you to have about 70% though.
Reply 524
Original post by Rosey2
I suppose. I would take a wild stab in the dark and to they expect you to have about 70% though.

I have no doubt there are a billion posts around on psychometric testing, but it's something I've only done twice (with SHL - for Herbies and for FFW) which didn't seem remarkably dissimilar from the Watson Glaser thing. From the little I have seen, is it not one of those things which you can practice a bit - but is ultimately geared toward either being able to do well or not? Otherwise, if it's something you can "revise" technique for, it's not really testing "reasoning", and they may as well rely on exam results.
Reply 525
Original post by Clip
I have no doubt there are a billion posts around on psychometric testing, but it's something I've only done twice (with SHL - for Herbies and for FFW) which didn't seem remarkably dissimilar from the Watson Glaser thing. From the little I have seen, is it not one of those things which you can practice a bit - but is ultimately geared toward either being able to do well or not? Otherwise, if it's something you can "revise" technique for, it's not really testing "reasoning", and they may as well rely on exam results.

Agreed, I recall being told a few times whilst doing the HL one not to go back and change answers as it should be almost instinctual. I'm not sure that it is a particularly good way to test whether or not you will be an amazing lawyer, but it does seem to be geared towards the idea of "you can either do it or you can't". That being said, I found that going over the questions repeatedly and trying to "learn the logic" of what made the correct answers correct pretty helpful. Good luck!
Reply 526
Also, hello all.

I have been a serial lurker around here for the past 2 years or so, so I just wanted to say hello and thanks to everyone for keeping us all posted on their progress at different firms! I've spent a lot less time trawling the forums this time around as I found that it made me slightly obsessive (plus I only sent out a few apps so it was a bit frustrating to see everyone else hearing back!) but I remember how comforting it was last year to know that I wasn't the only person being rejected all over the shop.

My experience with firms is fairly limited so I'm afraid I don't have much advice to offer but if I can be of assistance feel free to PM me - I've interviewed at Hogan Lovells (TC, last year, unsuccessful), Simmons & Simmons (VS, unsuccessful) and Herbert Smith (TC).

Good luck!
Original post by Clip

Yes, the logical reasoning tests are supposed to test an innate ability to piece together a plausible narrative from a slightly unclear/incomplete set of facts. Apparently the best lawyers have been found to be very strong at this.

I suppose it's meant to be a pure 'intelligence' test rather than a cram-aided test.
Has anyone had to wait more than 2 months for a firm to reply to a training contract application? Without notice of a timeline for a reply?

Thanks x
Reply 529
Original post by emilybradstreet
Has anyone had to wait more than 2 months for a firm to reply to a training contract application? Without notice of a timeline for a reply?

Thanks x

It varies totally on the firm, and what their HR department is like.

If you have applied through CVmail or Apply4law, you normally get an email straight away saying that your app has been received, but the timeline on these will normally be something like "we will get back to you in due course".

Other than that, it depends on if the firm has set you any testing, or if there was a VS involved etc.

If you are an undergraduate, I suspect you won't hear anything back for a long time. I only heard back early from two firms (both PFOs), which I suppose is their way of thinning out the pack early.

If you are a graduate - I have no idea.
Original post by emilybradstreet

Thanks x

Yes, some firms invited me to interview over 2 months after sending the application. Needless to say I did not attend those interviews.
Original post by Clip
It varies totally on the firm, and what their HR department is like.

If you have applied through CVmail or Apply4law, you normally get an email straight away saying that your app has been received, but the timeline on these will normally be something like "we will get back to you in due course".

Other than that, it depends on if the firm has set you any testing, or if there was a VS involved etc.

If you are an undergraduate, I suspect you won't hear anything back for a long time. I only heard back early from two firms (both PFOs), which I suppose is their way of thinning out the pack early.

If you are a graduate - I have no idea.

Thanks for your reply (and The West Wing's)! I am a final year non-law applicant.

So, I guess I might have to wait until after the July 31 deadline then..? They said on their website to submit your application at the earliest convenience if you are a final year undergraduate (law or non-law).
I just have a question that I need some help with!

I would like to build up some more legal work experience before submitting applications for TC's in June/July.

To date, I have two summer-long commercial work experiences (one in sales/marketing and the other as an office assistant, where I learned about business concerns of an SME etc. etc...). I have a week long experience in a niche commercial practice and will also be undertaking a VS at a top 15 City firm in July.

Before June, I could probably arrange to shadow a Circuit Court judge (I am in Ireland) and a barrister working on a high profile tribunal (completely non-commercial).

Would this experience work in my favour, or is it irrelevant to the commercial/corporate law route that I am trying to go down?? Do I need more experience on top of what I have or should I just concentrate on producing strong applications between now and the July deadline?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply 533
Original post by rainbowsolero
I just have a question that I need some help with!

I would like to build up some more legal work experience before submitting applications for TC's in June/July.

To date, I have two summer-long commercial work experiences (one in sales/marketing and the other as an office assistant, where I learned about business concerns of an SME etc. etc...). I have a week long experience in a niche commercial practice and will also be undertaking a VS at a top 15 City firm in July.

Before June, I could probably arrange to shadow a Circuit Court judge (I am in Ireland) and a barrister working on a high profile tribunal (completely non-commercial).

Would this experience work in my favour, or is it irrelevant to the commercial/corporate law route that I am trying to go down?? Do I need more experience on top of what I have or should I just concentrate on producing strong applications between now and the July deadline?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

tbh I can't actually believe you're really asking this question with that amount of experience.... of course it's relevant
Original post by Rosey2
tbh I can't actually believe you're really asking this question with that amount of experience.... of course it's relevant

Sorry if it seems like a silly question, but I was just afraid with having mainly commercial experience it would be a step backwards if I were to undertake non-commercial legal work experience, as it would look like I was straying away from the route I had decided on. Also, as an Irish candidate, the top firms over here seem to have different criteria for experience etc than city firms in London, so I do not have a lot of access to people who are familiar with city law firm recruitment, so apologies if I do ask some rookie questions!:colondollar:
Reply 535
I have been out of the loop for a bit.

Going to start some TC apps now. I'm dreading it in some ways, it is going to be very time consuming. Wish me luck! :redface:
Reply 536
Hi,
Does anyone know how long Slaughters take to confirm when your interview is with them?
Its probably a little early to be paranoid, I only called them to arrange a time yesterday, but they said they would email to confirm. I'm just starting to worry that maybe dreamt up that phone call... I probably should work at being patient.
Reply 537
This probably has been asked year after year but I'm too lazy to search and I would like it reconfirmed anyway, at what stage do firms HR contact referees given on application forms and how thorough are they with it?
Original post by rliu
This probably has been asked year after year but I'm too lazy to search and I would like it reconfirmed anyway, at what stage do firms HR contact referees given on application forms and how thorough are they with it?

They probably won't contact you until post-interview or assessment day and before they decide to extend an offer.

Why do you ask?
Reply 539
Original post by Ems8345
Hi,
Does anyone know how long Slaughters take to confirm when your interview is with them?
Its probably a little early to be paranoid, I only called them to arrange a time yesterday, but they said they would email to confirm. I'm just starting to worry that maybe dreamt up that phone call... I probably should work at being patient.

I called them on a Tues and got an email that Friday, so it's nothing to worry about

Quick Reply

Latest