The Student Room Group

Training Contracts 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 600
Original post by rainbowsolero
Hey guys, starting to piece together some applications now that I'm finished exams. Just have a question about laying out work experience.

Do most of you usually tailor/change how your work experience is written for each different application? Is it better to use bullet points for the work experience section or just full sentences and paragraphs?

Personally, I have always used bullet points and kept it the same 99% of the time.

However - it is important to amend wherever necessary to see if you need to add something that may be particularly relevant to a certain firm or if you need to remove something as well.

What I mean by 'bullet points' by the way is full, coherent sentences but each addressing separate points. I try to avoid going into too much drivel that they won't be interested in. It is best to keep it short and concise wherever possible.
Reply 601
Hi all,

I was wondering if any one has had a training contract interview with White and Case yet?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 602
Original post by VacS
Hi all,

I was wondering if any one has had a training contract interview with White and Case yet?

still waiting to hear back. Had nothing
Reply 603
Anybody heard back POST interview from Dechert?!
Reply 604
Original post by dom111
still waiting to hear back. Had nothing

Thanks for the reply. When did you apply?
Reply 605
Original post by VacS
Thanks for the reply. When did you apply?

No worries. I applied absolutley ages ago.
I am hoping I will have got through the "initial chucking out and mere glancing" stage of the process. Hopefully they actually read the ****ing application!

Christ knows what is going on, but the deadline is not for ages, so it is somewhat unsurprising
Reply 606
"Briefly describe a situation which has occurred in your life which illustrates that you are likely to make a success of your chosen career."

How do I answer this question without: a) lying; and b) making myself sound like Nelson Mandela?

Seriously though, what kind of skills/characteristics would you look to highlight in this kind of question? Just some general guidance would be great.
Reply 607
Original post by Tom_Hagen
"Briefly describe a situation which has occurred in your life which illustrates that you are likely to make a success of your chosen career."

How do I answer this question without: a) lying; and b) making myself sound like Nelson Mandela?

Seriously though, what kind of skills/characteristics would you look to highlight in this kind of question? Just some general guidance would be great.

I'm not sure that Nelson Mandela was a success in his chosen career--if his chosen career was politician, since he had to spend 27 years in jail before his 5 years of power.
Reply 608
Original post by Brevity
I'm not sure that Nelson Mandela was a success in his chosen career--if his chosen career was politician, since he had to spend 27 years in jail before his 5 years of power.

There is a firm - and I don't know which - that asks "Who do you not admire and why?"

I'm thinking you should apply with that answer.

There's no shame in selling yourself. It's an important skill and one that they test for. You won't sound like a dick for it, it's what is expected/required.
Reply 610
Original post by The West Wing
There's no shame in selling yourself. It's an important skill and one that they test for. You won't sound like a dick for it, it's what is expected/required.

I know, I know. But I sure feel like a dick writing these answers sometimes. God help me.

Original post by Brevity

Lol, fair enough. But he did manage to (kind of) achieve his overall objective... and displayed some good characteristics and qualities whilst doing so. Maybe I should have said 50 Cent?
For the "why law" type questions should you dwell much on the day-to-day aspects of what the role entails such as "I like working in teams and enjoy researching" etc (I actually do, weird I know!), or should you focus on the ends which the work achieves such as the international aspect, helping businesses achieve aims? Or should it be a mixture of both?

I definitely know why I want to be a lawyer, under each scenario above, but how are the best answers to this type of question approached?

Hope everyone's apps are going well, I've been far less productive than I'd planned to be at this stage of June!
I am totally out of sync at the moment - I finished exams around May 20th and took two weeks off to go on holiday so back now. When am I supposed to be sending training contract applications? None of my friends have started and I get the impression I have to wait until results are released? My vac scheme starts in two weeks, I thought I could use the time between now and then to do some applications.

It seems like everyone has been doing this for ages, I haven't done any training contract applications yet :s-smilie:
Reply 613
Original post by suffocation1992
I am totally out of sync at the moment - I finished exams around May 20th and took two weeks off to go on holiday so back now. When am I supposed to be sending training contract applications? None of my friends have started and I get the impression I have to wait until results are released? My vac scheme starts in two weeks, I thought I could use the time between now and then to do some applications.

It seems like everyone has been doing this for ages, I haven't done any training contract applications yet :s-smilie:

I'm also in the same position - just finished May 31st! What I'm going to do is (thought I haven't properly started yet) is basically have all (I hope) of my applications done by the time my vac scheme starts June 16th...then I'm going to just have them saved and pop in to slot my results in once I get them on the 22nd!
Reply 614
Original post by suffocation1992

Original post by Rosey2
I'm also in the same position - just finished May 31st! What I'm going to do is (thought I haven't properly started yet) is basically have all (I hope) of my applications done by the time my vac scheme starts June 16th...then I'm going to just have them saved and pop in to slot my results in once I get them on the 22nd!

Don't worry too much.

The earlier you get them in the better though.

Some applications allow you to submit and upgrade your results (look around on their website etc. to see if this is allowed). I'm sure most firms that use apply4law allow you to do it, as I've seen the option but have never had to use it.

Not to worry though, the bulk of applications are submitted end of June/start of July I think for the 31/07 deadline.

I've really had a lot of time, but I've spent it doing other useless ****. Now I'm rushing my apps, ah ****ed.
Don't worry too much.

The earlier you get them in the better though.

Some applications allow you to submit and upgrade your results (look around on their website etc. to see if this is allowed). I'm sure most firms that use apply4law allow you to do it, as I've seen the option but have never had to use it.

Not to worry though, the bulk of applications are submitted end of June/start of July I think for the 31/07 deadline.

I've really had a lot of time, but I've spent it doing other useless ****. Now I'm rushing my apps, ah ****ed.

Haha but you have to have some post-exam time to yourself! I went away for a week, then I've just been outdoors the whole time - not going to get me a training contract. I hope I get an interview for a training contract during my vac scheme though! Now, time for some motivation...
Reply 616
Any law students received a rejection or invite for an interview for a Norton Rose training contract?
Applied for a training contract with Addleshaw Goddard in March...still haven't heard anything despite sending three e-mails and telephoning.....
Reply 618
Does anyone know what the pass mark is for the Osborne Clarke verbal reasoning test?
My friend told me for training contracts you should send around 30 applications - is that wise? I sent five vac scheme applications before Christmas and ended up getting one, as I targeted them instead. I don't have the energy to send any more than 7-8 max... So shall I just target firms I really like or is that too risky? Cheers.

Quick Reply

Latest