The Student Room Group

Training Contracts 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AP1989
It depends.

If the firm is in the MC, you'll be rejected I'm afraid. If not, you're OK.

Thanks. It was not an MC, I was just talking about my work experience at an MC. Anyway, for my next application, is it technically correct to say magic circle instead of Magic Circle? Or its just Magic Circle and that's it?
Reply 821
Original post by DavidHiggs
Hopefully. what uni did you go by the way and what are you studying if you dont mind me asking?

I went to UEA (not Russel, but clinging into T-20), but have U.S. experience and LL.M from the U.S. too.
Reply 822
Original post by offeryoucantrefuse
Thanks. It was not an MC, I was just talking about my work experience at an MC. Anyway, for my next application, is it technically correct to say magic circle instead of Magic Circle? Or its just Magic Circle and that's it?

I wouldn't actually use the expression in an application--the magic circle don't necessarily consider themselves so closely tied, and you'll just hack off other firms if you refer to some group which is ostensibly better.
Original post by Med2Ky
I went to UEA (not Russel, but clinging into T-20), but have U.S. experience and LL.M from the U.S. too.

have you applied for any other training contracts?
Reply 824
have you applied for any other training contracts?

I've applied for a small handful (less than 10). Interviewed at Freshfields last week (unsuccessful); interview at Slaughter and May next week; PFO from A&O. Also interviewed with Reed Smith a couple years back.
Original post by Med2Ky
I've applied for a small handful (less than 10). Interviewed at Freshfields last week (unsuccessful); interview at Slaughter and May next week; PFO from A&O. Also interviewed with Reed Smith a couple years back.

Wow you've had some success. this is actually my first year of applying for training contracts. So did all the law firms turn you down (the ones that interviewed you)?

And this might sound stupid, Im new to here; what does PFO mean?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 826
Wow you've had some success. this is actually my first year of applying for training contracts. So did all the law firms turn you down (the ones that interviewed you)?

And this might sound stupid, Im new to here; what does PFO mean?

This is also my first "real' year applying- the previous Reed Smith interview a couple of year back was an off-the-c
uff application, and the only one I submitted that cycle.

"PFO" stand for 'Please F@#K OFF'; it's forum slang for when a firm rejects your application w/o an interview invite.

I was turned down by Reed SMith and Freshfields, but Slaughters isnt until next week, so who knows...
Reply 827
Has anyone heard from A&O, Linklaters, Clifford Chance or Norton Rose?
Reply 828
Original post by ihra24
Has anyone heard from A&O, Linklaters, Clifford Chance or Norton Rose?

I got a PFO from A&O a couple of days after submitting (early June).
No word from Links or CC yet, and I submitted those about 2 weeks ago.
Original post by Med2Ky
This is also my first "real' year applying- the previous Reed Smith interview a couple of year back was an off-the-c
uff application, and the only one I submitted that cycle.

"PFO" stand for 'Please F@#K OFF'; it's forum slang for when a firm rejects your application w/o an interview invite.

I was turned down by Reed SMith and Freshfields, but Slaughters isnt until next week, so who knows...

Now I know what PFO means, lol

It seems that youve had alot of interest from the MC firms. Ive got my fingers crossed for this year, but only applied for about 5 firms. Im not even thinking of applying for the firms that youve mentioned, becasue I know that I would never stand a chance. Have you been successful at any vac schemes or work placements?

And do you think i stand any chance with a law firm (ranked 50 to 100) with a first in accounting from the university of bedfrordshire?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 830
Now I know what PFO means, lol

Have you been successful at any vac schemes or work placements?

And do you think i stand any chance with a law firm (ranked 50 to 100) with a first in accounting from the university of bedfrordshire?

I did not complete any vac schemes/placements, but spent my summers working in the U.S. instead (completely non-law related).

As for your chances of getting a TC:
I don't really think I'm qualified to comment seeing as a). this is my 1st app cycle, b). I don't have a TC myself yet.

There are lots of really experienced people on this forum (with TC's!) who might be able to give you some more realistic advice.
Original post by Med2Ky
I did not complete any vac schemes/placements, but spent my summers working in the U.S. instead (completely non-law related).

As for your chances of getting a TC:
I don't really think I'm qualified to comment seeing as a). this is my 1st app cycle, b). I don't have a TC myself yet.

There are lots of really experienced people on this forum (with TC's!) who might be able to give you some more realistic advice.

Ah cheers for that Ill contact someone with a TC. And what did you do in the US?

And are your GSCE's and Alevels any good, mines average.
Reply 832
Original post by Med2Ky
I got a PFO from A&O a couple of days after submitting (early June).
No word from Links or CC yet, and I submitted those about 2 weeks ago.

Have you been invited to do the online tests yet? I thought it was automatic but obviously not!
Reply 833
Does anyone know how long Linklaters generally takes to get back candidates for interviews?
Just got sent three psychometric tests from Herbert Smith - any advice?!?!
Reply 835
Original post by ihra24
Have you been invited to do the online tests yet? I thought it was automatic but obviously not!

I have done the CC verbal reasoning test (standard shl test), but haven't heard a peep out of Links yet. You?
Reply 836
Original post by VacS
Does anyone know how long Linklaters generally takes to get back candidates for interviews?

Have Links asked you to complete any tests yet (or contacted you other than acknowledging your app)?
Original post by sleekchic
Bristows isn't just a covering letter. It's a 'personal statement', a 'why Bristows' question and some other things.

Thanks
Reply 838
Original post by Med2Ky
Have Links asked you to complete any tests yet (or contacted you other than acknowledging your app)?

No, only an acknowledgement so far. You?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 839
Original post by VacS
No, only an acknowledgement so far. You?

Same- maybe they haven't started reviewing yet? Who knows.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending