The Student Room Group

Training Contracts 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 960
Original post by sleekchic
I just completed a verbal reasoning test and it seems like cvmail website crashed shortly after.

What usually happens in these situations? Was I supposed to see the result?

No, it just submits it to the firm and they eventually get back to you saying whether they will progress your application to the next stage or not. I would just send a quick polite email asking if they received the results ok or if they need you to take it again etc. :smile:

I have a question I need some advice with please:

"Assurance and innovation are important to Cobbetts and our clients. Provide examples of how you have displayed these characteristics in the past. (150 words)"

Innovation is fairly easy to understand, what do they mean by 'assurance' though?
Original post by Tom_Hagen
No, it just submits it to the firm and they eventually get back to you saying whether they will progress your application to the next stage or not. I would just send a quick polite email asking if they received the results ok or if they need you to take it again etc. :smile:

"Assurance and innovation are important to Cobbetts and our clients. Provide examples of how you have displayed these characteristics in the past. (150 words)"

Innovation is fairly easy to understand, what do they mean by 'assurance' though?

I took it to mean self-confidence.
Original post by Tom_Hagen

I thought it might be quicker to call them and apparently they haven't received it so I had to call SHL who said it's been completed and then I called Osborne Clarke and the lady said she'll let me know on Monday if it still hasn't been received.

I'm also going go to go with self-confidence.
Reply 963
To play it safe, I would answer about both "assurance" and "self-assurance". They're probably expecting more on the latter, but "assurance" by itself refers to when your 'self-confidence' has inspired confidence in others, which opens up the chance to discuss leadership experience, etc.
There's a massive 400 word count that asks if there's any additional information that is relevant to my application.

I would have left it blank if it was only about 200 words but 400 words seems like a lot to just leave blank.
Original post by Clip
If they seriously cared about what it is you have to say, they'd be making the answers shorter - not longer. It would be "Why us? (50 words)" or "Why do you want to be a solicitor? (25 words)" You'd have to be able to get your message across in two sentences without any fluff.

The questions could be "What did you do in the holidays?" or "Describe your favourite pet?" They want you to give a fairly long piece of prose narrative to judge your ability to write coherently.
Original post by midlandsman
Yeah, I wouldn't leave any boxes blank even if they are just 200 words. Just doesn't look good in my opinion.

What I do with these now is copy and paste any skills/achievements/activities I've done, which I haven't had chance to talk about elsewhere on the application. Wouldn't have thought you could lose points for banging everything in.

I've already talked about everything else so I just ended up copying my awards into it.
Does anyone know how many applications Farrer tends to receive? One of my top choice firms, and I'm finishing up my application now, so just curious :smile:
Original post by London2013
Does anyone know how many applications Farrer tends to receive? One of my top choice firms, and I'm finishing up my application now, so just curious :smile:

Original post by Tortious

Thanks! Do you, by chance, also happen to know how many they interview? :colondollar:

After getting to a final interview at my favourite firm, making number 5 out of 15 final candidates, and they only take 4 trainees, I feel like I should shore up my chances a bit.
Original post by Wildcard
To play it safe, I would answer about both "assurance" and "self-assurance". They're probably expecting more on the latter, but "assurance" by itself refers to when your 'self-confidence' has inspired confidence in others, which opens up the chance to discuss leadership experience, etc.

I agree that both definitions should be covered. Assurance to me in the context of a TC application implies your ability to deal with other people, as in (and always essential to a firm), how well you could come across with and handle clients.

Good luck! :smile:
Original post by London2013
Thanks! Do you, by chance, also happen to know how many they interview? :colondollar:

After getting to a final interview at my favourite firm, making number 5 out of 15 final candidates, and they only take 4 trainees, I feel like I should shore up my chances a bit.

About 45-50, I think. :yes:
I just failed the Eversheds numerical test.
Reply 973
Original post by sleekchic
I just failed the Eversheds numerical test.

How do you know? Did they send you an email saying so?
Reply 974
Original post by rainbowsolero
Just realised that I sent my SNR Denton and Latham & Watkins applications over a month ago. Has anyone heard anything from either firm?

Nope.
Original post by VacS
How do you know? Did they send you an email saying so?

Yeah they did.
Original post by ihra24
Has anyone heard from A&O, Linklaters, Clifford Chance or Norton Rose?

Interview with A & O, nothing from Links yet, very nicely worded PFO from CC immediately post the verbal reasoning test.
Reply 977
Original post by alibaba03
Interview with A & O, nothing from Links yet, very nicely worded PFO from CC immediately post the verbal reasoning test.

Top work getting an interview at A&O. When did you submit your application? Hard luck with CC - these verbal reasoning tests can be cruel.
Reply 978
Original post by alibaba03

Got one with A&O too :smile: btw with CC were u invited to complete the verbal reasoning test immediately after submitting your app? I submitted mine early july and have still not been asked to complete the test yet :s-smilie:
Reply 979
How do I convince a friend/relative to pull some strings for me... argh...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending