The Student Room Group

Training Contracts 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nulli tertius

Original post by nulli tertius
I accept your point about firms not having actually started to accept applications.

I think one of the problems is that people on TSR tend to see a split between the magic/silver circle firms and High Street without seeing that there are a lot of firms that are neither.

One can look at a firm such as Freeths in Nottingham and apart from a bit of private client for HNW individuals, they are exclusively doing corporate and commercial work

Andrew Jacksons in Hull have a slightly wider client base but what they are known for is fishing/shipping/transport and logistics.

Finers Stephens Innocent is a media law firm.

Howard Kennedy is a London commercial property firm.

Kennedys are a commercial litigation firm with an international practice.

Devonshires are known for property finance,

This is all a long way from doing Mr & Mrs Smith's conveyancing.

Even amongst the firms which are doing a significant amount of something else, commercial work of one sort or another is usually their bedrock. Perhaps 30 years ago it would have domestic conveyancing but no longer.

Oh, I totally agree.

The firm I recently did some work experience with were very similar. They had a department of about 20 - 30 people concentrating on high volume conveyancing, usually acting for lenders I think (i didn't do any work there) - but besides that they did 80% commercial/corporate work. Its hardly the magic circle, but high quality work nonetheless. The kind of cases I looked at included high value prof neg cases, shareholders/board member disputes, disputes in relation to huge developments. Many of the clients were from all around the UK, rather than just our city. As for the private clients, they were usually HNW individuals who already had/did instruct the firm in relation to business matters.

I would have no objection to training with a firm like that. In fact, I would probably prefer it - the trainees get home before 7pm on most days I think.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by cocacola2
Most of those '201' are automatically listed there. A lot have not started actually accepting applications.

Some have if you look at cvmail and a few have that use apply4law.

A lot of the 79 won't suit tge people on here either.

Personally, I plan on applying to some of the smaller firms because I'm interested in a broad range of work. Worst case scenario, I'd even do criminal work because it was what initially interested me in legal practise. I'd say my interest for commercial work now is much greater than my interest ever was in crime, but nonetheless I'm still willing to apply to those kind of firms as a last resort.

If I knew though with 100% certainty that I wouldn't be able to obtain a TC with a commercial firm, probably like many other individuals on TSR I'd be more likely to turn to one of the accountancy firms and see what interesting work could be done there rather than look at high street law firms.

I'd think there is more chance of doing some finance/tax/company related work for an accountancy and then finding a commercial TC than doing high street work then moving to commercial. Am I wrong in thinking this?

On the accountancy thing, it depends. If you knew you were still gunning for a TC, I would strongly advise against joining any grad schemes in tax or finance. Each will require you to complete exams e.g. ACA over 3 or more years and if you leave part-way through the scheme to go for a TC, you will have to pay back the fees for those exams which the firm paid on your behalf. Plus the exams are hardly easy. And yes, they really do chase you for the cash - E&Y successfuly sued my friend for £7k. Only way out is to fail twice, and then you've got that explanation to cover in future interviews.

On the other hand, if you can find something commercial that doesn't tie you into a contract for a few years with linked exams, then you might be on to something. There are plenty of ways to work in the City that would give you relevant experience without entering a grad scheme. Business development is one such area.

Hope that helps.
I've been having a crap day.

This lightened the mood though and its (slightly) relevant:

Reply 163
helloooo is there any1 on here who could help me on my contract law essay will be much appriciated...
Reply 164
Original post by kaka786
helloooo is there any1 on here who could help me on my contract law essay will be much appriciated...

You've just brought a pork pie to a Bar Mitzvah.
Original post by kaka786

Try starting a new thread, here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=225

State all the material facts clearly and I'm sure someone will help you. It probably helps to state whether its for college or university too.

Original post by Clip
You've just brought a pork pie to a Bar Mitzvah.

:rofl:
Reply 166
Hi all. This year I've decided to apply for vac shemes and training contracts. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

My qeustion is whether a magic cirlce, US, or top siver circle firm will offer a vac scheme or training contract to one who has 240 ucas points BUT took a 2 year gap before starting uni to do some commercial property work. I am predicted a 2:1 and currently in 3rd yr Law. I also have about 8 weeks worth of legal work experience in small regional firms. Will my work experience be taken into account or will I get rejected on my ucas points???
Original post by buddie
Hi all. This year I've decided to apply for vac shemes and training contracts. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

My qeustion is whether a magic cirlce, US, or top siver circle firm will offer a vac scheme or training contract to one who has 240 ucas points BUT took a 2 year gap before starting uni to do some commercial property work. I am predicted a 2:1 and currently in 3rd yr Law. I also have about 8 weeks worth of legal work experience in small regional firms. Will my work experience be taken into account or will I get rejected on my ucas points???

I think some firms might have automatic screening where you have to answer yes to a certain amount of UCAS points. Some definately don't (I think I was reading White & Case yesterday make a big deal they don't).
Original post by new_romantic

Original post by new_romantic
I think some firms might have automatic screening where you have to answer yes to a certain amount of UCAS points. Some definately don't (I think I was reading White & Case yesterday make a big deal they don't).

Where did you read this? if you do not mind sharing please. :colondollar:

...and you guess it, I have a ridiculously low amount of UCAS points.
Original post by cocacola2
Where did you read this? if you do not mind sharing please. :colondollar:

...and you guess it, I have a ridiculously low amount of UCAS points.

Right I definately remember reading this but I just looked and can't see it anywhere :s however, I had a look at my application and theres no where it asks you about UCAS points that I saw. Sorry I can't be more help!
Hi all.

Bit of an odd question - one of the apps I have been doing has a question with a part a) and a part b) - but the question isn't split up.

How do I answer this - just in the order provided? can I mix it up? do I put a) and b) before each part?
Reply 171
Original post by allornothing
Hi all.

Bit of an odd question - one of the apps I have been doing has a question with a part a) and a part b) - but the question isn't split up.

How do I answer this - just in the order provided? can I mix it up? do I put a) and b) before each part?

That sounds interesting. Which firm is that?
Original post by Clip
That sounds interesting. Which firm is that?

It's SNR Denton.

The Q is something like

a) Why do you want to be a commercial solicitor
b) Why are you particularly interested in applying to SNR Denton and why at this location

If they wanted to split it why wouldn't they just have it in separate boxes?

It's SNR Denton.

The Q is something like

b) Why are you particularly interested in applying to SNR Denton and why at this location

I would answer it as one question, making sure I cover both points. Preferably in that order.

I wouldn't mark it as 'a' and 'b'. Separate paragraphs should be enough.
Reply 174
It's SNR Denton.

The Q is something like

Had a look. I'd definitely do one integrated answer.

They're about triple the size of any other firm I've applied to (except BLP), but I might apply for an Open Day, just to see what happens.
Original post by Clip
Had a look. I'd definitely do one integrated answer.

They're about triple the size of any other firm I've applied to (except BLP), but I might apply for an Open Day, just to see what happens.

Yeh I think integrated is best but in a clear order with equal weighting for each. I think they have made the distinction to establish genuine career motivation i.e. they don't just want an entire answer dedicated to why you want to work for SNR Denton.
Original post by hmaus
I got an interview at SNR Denton last year and I didn't write separate answers to a) and b). I think the word limit was very tight from what I remember, so you can't go into much detail on any of the points anyway.

Ah ok thanks for that. Did you stick to the order given or just completely mix it up. I'm worried that they will think I've misread the question if I mix it up too much.
Another fairly silly question but I agonise over these type of things:

One of the questions on an app is 'What makes a good commercial lawyer? - What skills do you need? Why do you need these skills? How have you developed these skills? How do you believe you can demonstrate the skills required?'

I can't decide whether to break the skills up with sub-headings or write in continuous prose...
I apologise for my ignorance, but do we have to pass the LPC before we can apply for the training contract? I am currently in my second year studying Law at university so how would all this TC and LPC business affect me and when should I start applying for both?
Original post by TheSurgeon345

Original post by TheSurgeon345
I apologise for my ignorance, but do we have to pass the LPC before we can apply for the training contract? I am currently in my second year studying Law at university so how would all this TC and LPC business affect me and when should I start applying for both?

Start applying for vacation schemes and TCs as soon as possible, you don't have to worry about the LPC yet. That can be arranged in the year prior to starting.

There is no student finance available for the LPC course (approx £10k fees + living cost need to be factored in), so ideally you need to secure a TC prior to arranging the LPC.

You will be applying this year for TCs that commence in 2014. Next year I presume is your final year. If you have a TC in the bag by Sept 2012, you can then arrange to start your LPC Sept 2013.

With respect though, it seems like you haven't researched what you want to do and how you want to go about it. I hope this post gives you a basic gist of the timeline and many law firms have 'timelines' on their graduate websites, vut you need to ask yourself, what kind of law firm you would like to work for in terms of practice areas, size, location and so on. Then start short listing firms you actually want to apply to, research them, make sure you fit their requirements etc.

Start reading/researching.. and remember competition is fierce, try to be flexible and adaptable in your approach. Studying law is completely different to practising law, so you probably really don't know what you like until you have experienced it. Try to arrange informal work experience if possible as well. You will need lots of different experiences from work, study, hobbies/interests that you can rely on to demonstrate your qualities as a candidate.

good luck..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending