The Student Room Group

Training Contracts 2014

Let the hunt begain all over again... eugh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Come off it, the corpses of the last lot aren't cold yet.
Did you apply last year Med2Ky? I think re-applicants should give some stats for the new people this year, just to give them an idea of what they might be going through.

Good luck to you all anyway.
Reply 3
wooo 2014! i have stalked around these boards a little bit but now i feel my time is right to join in...
Reply 4
I'm very likely to be an active member in this thread from the look of things.

What a shame....

Please everybody pray that I'm not - I still have a little chance left.
Count me in! With the relentless optimism of a first-timer, yet the cynical attitude of a would-be lawyer...

In the nicest possible way, I hope that those of us in this thread who are not, shall we say, TC virgins, find out soon that they have no place in this thread :p:
Reply 6
Original post by scribble_girl
Count me in! With the relentless optimism of a first-timer, yet the cynical attitude of a would-be lawyer...

In the nicest possible way, I hope that those of us in this thread who are not, shall we say, TC virgins, find out soon that they have no place in this thread :p:

Is TC2014 like a rival gang? Are we like the Montagues and Capulets? The Bloods and the Crips?
Original post by Clip
Is TC2014 like a rival gang? Are we like the Montagues and Capulets? The Bloods and the Crips?

Nah, more like Hercules and Diogenes :wink: we all fail, but TC2014 is just following in the footsteps of TC2013....

As you can see, I'm going into this with an awfully strong positive mental attitude.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Nah, more like Hercules and Diogenes :wink: we all fail, but TC2014 is just following in the footsteps of TC2013....

As you can see, I'm going into this with an awfully strong positive mental attitude.

So are we not as one with Bellerophon, riding up to feast with the gods? Who shall be admitted, and who shall fall to earth to live out their lives in misery?
Reply 9
Good luck!

I'm a veteran of the 2013 thread, having obtained a training contract at a competitive regional firm in July. I mostly applied for City firms but things just seemed to slot in place at the firm I'm going to so I accepted their offer. I was interviewed at, or invited to interview at, Baker & McKenzie, Dewey & LeBoeuf, Hogan Lovells, Mayer Brown, SJ Berwin, Slaughter & May, and Travers Smith. I did not attend all of those interviews as some requests arrived after I had accepted my training contract offer (which was not with any of those firms listed). I am happy to proofread applications/share with you the structure of my forms but please bear in mind my own success rate and that I can only speak from personal experience.

If anyone is specifically considering applying to regional firms I can do my best to offer my experiences too.
Original post by Clip
So are we not as one with Bellerophon, riding up to feast with the gods? Who shall be admitted, and who shall fall to earth to live out their lives in misery?

Depends what your Pegasus is like - if it's a stack of ECs and a 1st from Oxbridge you've got a better chance of making it :redface:

(side note - WOOH g(r)eeky mythology analogies!)

Back on topic...

Thanks for the offer, Frances :smile: I'm glad this thread popped up, I was toying with putting one together but worried that I might get backlash for it being too early! I'm currently putting together my shortlist for firms to apply to - bring on October! Are most people using the LawCareers.Net portal thing? I can't decide whether I find it invaluable or rubbish ^_^
Finally my time to contribute! Has everyone got a shortlist (and I use the term shortlist very loosely) of their chosen firms? Done any sort of preparation?

! Are most people using the LawCareers.Net portal thing? I can't decide whether I find it invaluable or rubbish ^_^

Same! I've had an account on there for ages but I don't really remember finding it to be the gem that I was told it would be. Might go give it a visit again now that I have my shortlist of firms.
Original post by polaroid13
Finally my time to contribute! Has everyone got a shortlist (and I use the term shortlist very loosely) of their chosen firms? Done any sort of preparation?

Same! I've had an account on there for ages but I don't really remember finding it to be the gem that I was told it would be. Might go give it a visit again now that I have my shortlist of firms.

I think if you go in for the graphs and interactivity and all that jazz then it's great, but I can't help but think it's just adding another layer to get through - after all, the firms that update their details on it are most likely the ones who have it all easily available on the website and vice versa.

I am using it, but it's all backed up by my old-school notebook and pen :wink:
Original post by hmaus
Do you mean the locker on lawcareers that saves all your info e.g. module results and copies it straight into the apply4law application forms? I found this really useful and a big time saver. It is definitely worth using.

Anyway good luck guys. Hope it won't be a sisyphean task for any of you :wink:

Ah no - I signed up for that the other day but still haven't got around to investigating! I mean the LCN "My Firms" thing where you pull a shortlist together with deadlines and the links...

Will definitely look into the 'locker' thing though!

And thanks - nice theme we have here! :wink:
Original post by hmaus
Do you mean the locker on lawcareers that saves all your info e.g. module results and copies it straight into the apply4law application forms? I found this really useful and a big time saver. It is definitely worth using.

Anyway good luck guys. Hope it won't be a sisyphean task for any of you :wink:

Clearly I need to have more of an explore! I'm just adding all the firms atm - it is pretty useful to have all the deadlines listed in one place.
Reply 15
So is this thread for those who were unfortunate enough to not manage to secure a training contract after their first attempt at apps? i.e. people like me :colondollar:
Reply 16
Original post by shadow SJ
So is this thread for those who were unfortunate enough to not manage to secure a training contract after their first attempt at apps? i.e. people like me :colondollar:

preetty much...haha

to be fair, i didn't really try as hard as i should last year/left everything way too late. HOW do you guys manage to apply for/obtain TCs in your final year?! i found it basically impossible with dissertation/all the other crap i had to do.
Reply 17
I did not apply for TC's last year, kinda- I randomly applied for a TC with FBD back in March, but was unsucessful after interview. So am am kind of in the same position of those who tried but were unable to secure a TC last year.

But...this round I intend to apply for many TC's, so at the same time it is like my first real attempt to pin down a TC
Reply 18
*Subscribes* :ninja:
Original post by Clip
So are we not as one with Bellerophon, riding up to feast with the gods?

You obviously haven't attended any of those buffets firms put on for future trainees yet...

Quick Reply

Latest