The Student Room Group

The Official "Oxford or Cambridge?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mclovin123
what do you mean 98 does not cut it? And I am fully aware of what Oxford is like, its not as isolated at cambridge, that was the point I was trying to make.

Straight up rejection.
Original post by Sam Walters
Just so you know. Cambridge arnt lax on GCSE`s. Despite what their web site says.

"Your GCSE results were very low compared with our other applicants. In order to be a competitive applicant, you need to demonstrate that you have made up this difference. Your application does not have enough information to demonstrate this. If you were also able to study for A-level further maths, and were able to show excellent UMS marks for the completed modules, this would help even more. "

Apparently 98 average at AS just doesn't cut it.

Also when I posed the question about doing very well at a top 3 university for my discipline for the first year then re applying. Sheffield is an excellent institution. If you have an offer from them and a degree in engineering is your goal, I suggest you do a degree at Sheffield. We do not usually accept applications from students who are studying at other UK universities.

Also, Oxford is not a great night out. Cambridge is worse.

You should really evaluate if Oxford or Cambridge is really the best for you. Or are you going there for the fact its a household name? Hell, I had one slot empty on UCAS and chucked Cambridge in there for that reason alone.

But for me the reality is. Sheffield is a better university, the course, the place. Ranked third in the country. Cambridge is up there for its employment prospects, Imperial for its slightly higher research budget.

But Cambridge is only up there because its a household name.
Imperial because its a household name partially and its budget.

Sheffield is not a household name. Get someone to say what are the top 5 uni`s in the UK. Sheffield wont be one of them. Its research budget is lower then Imperials. Yet its employment prospects beat Imperials and just fall short of Cambridge.

For these reasons, Sheffield is the best university for my discipline in the UK. So is Cambridge the best choice for you?

Oh and also. Actually visit Oxford, vibrant is not a word i would use!

You're putting a very silly amount of emphasis on league tables.

I think the thread would benefit from more context for your GCSE quote. It only suggests to me that a person with terrible GCSEs will have more work to do at AS level to prove themselves, which is pretty much self evident.

I would be very happy at Cambridge, except the "cambridge bubble" worrys me lol

What's the worry about exactly? The bubble's fun.

Though admittedly I know literally nothing of current affairs October- the end of November.. (first term)
Original post by TimmonaPortella
You're putting a very silly amount of emphasis on league tables.

Actually my first choice on UCAS was Sheffield after a conversation with my old employer going on a night out there. (Been to Cambridge too, its worse that Oxford!). Hes employed graduates from Sheffield, Cambridge, Imperial, UWE and Loughborough. He said if he was forced to make a choice out of graduates from all Sheffield would come first and Cambridge would come last.

He said, they are very intelligent people but they lack the practical skills that are required.
Ok but im doing Biomedical sciences at Oxford or Nat (biological) sciences at cambridge.

As you've stated, if you had offers for both Oxford would be hands down.

I think the choice has been made here really?
Just go for Oxford, chances are you wont get either anyway.

When I spoke to Cambridge about the Access type-scheme they werent interested; none of the colleges were and in the end I just had to forget about it. Universities as a whole dont really care about the whole extenuating circumstances stuff, why would they when they have enough people to fill the course who have got all As at GCSE, all As at AS level and predicted all As at A2?
Thanks for the vota of confidence :frown:

From Oxford: 'To make a competitive application you will need a strong academic background with top grades (mostly A*s or As) at GCSE (or equivalent qualifications)'

From Cambridge: 'The typical A Level offer is A*AA. To make full use of the flexibility of the Natural Sciences course you’ll find it helpful to have a strong knowledge base across a wide range of science and mathematics subjects.'

Sorry OP, but either one would be a bit of a punt. Oxford will have lots of students applying with amazing grades already, which puts you on the back foot from the offset and since you're not expected to get at least 1 A* at A-Level, your chances look quite slim at Cambridge too. My advice would be to see how your AS year goes, then re-evaluate over the summer as to how realistic Oxbridge is for you. Also, you have to remember that when you send off your application early for Oxbridge, the other unis you apply to figure out that this Oxbridge is the reason for your early app and a friend of mine was rejected by her 4 other options because of this (I'm guessing that the unis assumed that they'd be wasting offers if she was applying to Oxbridge too).

Good luck in whatever you end up choosing :smile:
How do you know they love GCSEs so much? Probably because people have said it on TSR.
I think people get too hung up on that, or they decide that just because they don't seem to care about UMS scores, they must then care about GCSEs. You said yourself you'll get a doctor's note, so...

And you're not that awkward/rare!
(edited 12 years ago)
Why not actually email the colleges individually and ask them if you'd have a chance of getting in? That way you can hear it from someone actually at the institution, rather than a load of students (and possibly a rogue admissions tutor, though you don't seem to have attracted one yet)
If the Biomedical Sciences course is the one that you really want to do then Oxford, Oxford, Oxford all the way. Whatever the status of the University in question or your supposed chances of getting in you will be spending three years there and you definitely want to do doing a course you really enjoy.

However, Oxford also wants an A* at A level for science courses now. If you do well at the BMAT and the interview you might get an offer but it would still be most likely to be an A*AA one, do you think you can achieve that? That is the crucial factor in all of this.
Original post by confused dot com
From Oxford: 'To make a competitive application you will need a strong academic background with top grades (mostly A*s or As) at GCSE (or equivalent qualifications)'

From Cambridge: 'The typical A Level offer is A*AA. To make full use of the flexibility of the Natural Sciences course you’ll find it helpful to have a strong knowledge base across a wide range of science and mathematics subjects.'

Sorry OP, but either one would be a bit of a punt. Oxford will have lots of students applying with amazing grades already, which puts you on the back foot from the offset and since you're not expected to get at least 1 A* at A-Level, your chances look quite slim at Cambridge too. My advice would be to see how your AS year goes, then re-evaluate over the summer as to how realistic Oxbridge is for you. Also, you have to remember that when you send off your application early for Oxbridge, the other unis you apply to figure out that this Oxbridge is the reason for your early app and a friend of mine was rejected by her 4 other options because of this (I'm guessing that the unis assumed that they'd be wasting offers if she was applying to Oxbridge too).

Good luck in whatever you end up choosing :smile:

I have recently started my AS levels, Im expected AAAAA becuase thats all you can get at AS. I will probs be expected A*A*A next year.
My GCSEs were A*ABBBBBBBC (A* In maths retaken from a C grade)

I did AS levels and got CDE

My GP has confirmed I had extenuating circumstances for both of the above and will put it in writing.

I am now retaking my AS level year and expected AAAAA in Biology, chemistry, maths, psychology, and English Literature. I want to study Biomedical sciences at Oxford or Natural Sciences at Cambridge but I cannot decide. If i got two offers I would choose Oxford hand down, it's closer to home which would be god due to family problems ect, It's a nicer bigger more vibrant town, it's a biomed course which is what i want, I know people there. It's just the better option by a country mile. But they LOVE gcses and Mine are terrible! they just seem to be more demanding on applicants and unforgiving of people who have redeemed themselves. Cambridge seem to be a tad more lax with gcses and more understanding of these kinds of issues. The also have a special entry programme for people in my exact situation with extenuating circumstances, but then again oxford want the BMAT which if i do well in it would give me a chance at getting an interview. Im stuck, thoughts?

Worry about this when you get the grades. You won't be applying till next year and for all you know you could mess up again.

You seem really butthurt about not recieving an offer from Cambridge :/
I have recently started my AS levels, Im expected AAAAA becuase thats all you can get at AS. I will probs be expected A*A*A next year.

I genuinely hope you fail, assuming you're not just trolling.
Original post by confused dot com

Also, you have to remember that when you send off your application early for Oxbridge, the other unis you apply to figure out that this Oxbridge is the reason for your early app and a friend of mine was rejected by her 4 other options because of this (I'm guessing that the unis assumed that they'd be wasting offers if she was applying to Oxbridge too).

lol this is complete myth.

Anyway, if you're worried about it you can just submit your Oxbridge app before the deadline and add your other choices later.
Reply 334
look, go for it, its worth a char wari
You have a better chance with Cambridge tbh. I hear that Oxford rank heavily on GCSE's , especially A*s etc....,

Cambridge has more relaxed GCSE requirements and the Special Access Scheme.

Stick with Cambridge if I were you! :h:

Original post by tufc
You can't apply to both Oxford and Cambridge in the same year.

Unless you have an Organ Scolarship or are a graduate. :smartass:
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
You have a better chance with Cambridge tbh. I hear that Oxford rank heavily on GCSE's , especially A*s etc....,

Cambridge has more relaxed GCSE requirements and the Special Access Scheme.

Stick with Cambridge if I were you! :h:

The thing about the GCSE's is an Urban myth. People assume Oxford must be more hard on GCSE's as the aren't as strict on AS results as Cambridge are but I've never found any evidence of this.

They pay more attention to things like the aptitude tests to gauge a candidates true skills (in OP's case this would be the BMAT) and the interviews.

In fact, due to the aptitude tests, the OP's academic background is tricksy they are probably better off applying to Oxford as it is a real chance to show true academic worth beyond just your grades. In fact the reason why Oxford does the tests is because they don't think that your grades give them a true picture of you as a candidate.

And while they don't have the special access scheme like Cambridge they do take any special circumstances you have seriously.
Original post by A level Az
You seem really butthurt about not recieving an offer from Cambridge :/

Hardly, the reality is i had one choice left over, thought sod it. Its a nice place, night life's a bit boring, but Iv`e got friends who study there so should would have been alright.

I`m just baffled that they've come out with the statement that a further maths A-level is more creditable then a the first year of a mechanical engineering degree.

Does that make any sense to you?
Original post by A level Az
I genuinely hope you fail, assuming you're not just trolling.

Why exactly?
Hardly, the reality is i had one choice left over, thought sod it. Its a nice place, night life's a bit boring, but Iv`e got friends who study there so should would have been alright.

I`m just baffled that they've come out with the statement that a further maths A-level is more creditable then a the first year of a mechanical engineering degree.

Does that make any sense to you?

lol the guy is obv a troll, you seem correct. That prick is just trying to piss people off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending