The Student Room Group

The Official "Oxford or Cambridge?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ginger_biscuits
Ok, I face a massive dilemma.
I love English and Classics, equally. However, I got lower A-Level results than predicted - English A*, History A, Latin A, Greek A. I've been told that, with my module marks (which are not all over 90, as Cambridge apparently likes them to be, and with a few re-takes) I shouldn't apply to Cambridge, but apply to Oxford instead, particularly if I want to study Classics, seeing as at Cambridge they would probably expect an A* in either Latin or Greek. I'm a little disappointed - I had my heart set on Cambridge, though Oxford will do.

But, if I were to apply to Cambridge to read English, would I still stand a good chance of getting a place with fairly low marks (albeit As) in my other A-levels? Or should I realistically stick with Oxford?

Does the A* in Eng Lit mean I should really be aiming to read English?

Any help? This is plaguing me!:eek4:

Just to let you know I replied to your post earlier in the thread but didn't quote you - thought you might not have seen it.
Reply 101
Original post by ginger_biscuits
Ok, I face a massive dilemma.
I love English and Classics, equally. However, I got lower A-Level results than predicted - English A*, History A, Latin A, Greek A. I've been told that, with my module marks (which are not all over 90, as Cambridge apparently likes them to be, and with a few re-takes) I shouldn't apply to Cambridge, but apply to Oxford instead, particularly if I want to study Classics, seeing as at Cambridge they would probably expect an A* in either Latin or Greek. I'm a little disappointed - I had my heart set on Cambridge, though Oxford will do.

But, if I were to apply to Cambridge to read English, would I still stand a good chance of getting a place with fairly low marks (albeit As) in my other A-levels? Or should I realistically stick with Oxford?

Does the A* in Eng Lit mean I should really be aiming to read English?

Any help? This is plaguing me!:eek4:

Bolded bit has left my mouth hanging so wide that a bird could make a nest in it.

To answer your question, no. Apply for the subject you have a real passion for; a passion for a subject should stand you in good stead for an interview.
Original post by bramz19
Bolded bit has left my mouth hanging so wide that a bird could make a nest in it.

To answer your question, no. Apply for the subject you have a real passion for; a passion for a subject should stand you in good stead for an interview.

LOL. I didn't apply for English but from what I knew Oxford was always considered superior/prestigious to Cambridge for English and Classics especially. I guess the person is going on the basis that Cambridge must be better since they ask for UMS.
Original post by bramz19

Original post by rohitronaldo
LOL. I didn't apply for English but from what I knew Oxford was always considered superior/prestigious to Cambridge for English and Classics especially. I guess the person is going on the basis that Cambridge must be better since they ask for UMS.

Giving the poster the benefit of the doubt, isn't it possible that (s)he meant that (s)he prefers the feel of Cambridge but would be willing to go to either university? :smile:
Reply 104
Original post by Tortious
Giving the poster the benefit of the doubt, isn't it possible that (s)he meant that (s)he prefers the feel of Cambridge but would be willing to go to either university? :smile:

That's almost certainly what they meant, I felt the exact same way. But for the OP to say they'd 'settle' for Oxford, that 'it'd do', was what elicited my reaction.

Why on earth would they prefer Cambridge though? :confused:

:biggrin:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Why on earth would they prefer Cambridge though? :confused:

:biggrin:

City for students > city with students. :wink:
Reply 107
City for students > city with students. :wink:

You're saying that like it's a good thing :tongue:
Original post by shoshin
You're saying that like it's a good thing :tongue:

Trust you two to gang up on me when I'm the only Cantabrigian in here... :rolleyes:

Anyway, at least we won the race that really matters. :haughty: :p:
Reply 109
Trust you two to gang up on me when I'm the only Cantabrigian in here... :rolleyes:

Anyway, at least we won the race that really matters. :haughty: :p:

Ahem, thread starter here :p: I feel like my duty as Oxbridge mod is to provide a balanced view though :sigh:
Original post by Zoedotdot
Ahem, thread starter here :p: I feel like my duty as Oxbridge mod is to provide a balanced view though :sigh:

Aren't you supposed to be on holiday? :hmmm:
Reply 111
Aren't you supposed to be on holiday? :hmmm:

We don't get holidays, only 'vacations' :p: I'm not even joking, I actually have my dissertation out here with me too.

Universal to Oxford and Cambridge, in case anyone was considering factoring that into their decision making process :p:
Reply 112
Original post by Mellete
[*]On average three mathematics offers will be made for every place that Cambridge intends to fill, on the basis of statistical data from past years showing that two thirds will fail STEP.

remember that cambridge write, mark and set the boundaries for the STEP papers so it isnt statistical data that allows them to over-offer - your STEP marl will probably have to be in the top 1/2 of offer holders to get in.
Reply 113
I'm just starting A2 and looking at Oxbridge.

In AS' I got an A (190/200) in History, an A (186/200) in English and an A in Philosophy and an A in Biology. Do Oxford see UMS grades?

GCSE's were A*AAAAAAAB, which I'm aware are not the best grades for Oxford, so would these totally put me out of the race?

Should I look at Cambridge instead, even though they don't do History/Politics which is what I want to do, so I'd have to change my choices and PS to accomodate a single honours course in History, as this is all that Cambridge offer.

I'd be grateful of any advice.
Oxford do not see your UMS.

I don't think your GCSEs would put you totally out of the race for Oxford.
Reply 115
Do Cambridge see UMS? Also when you say 'I don't think your GCSEs would put you totally out of the race for Oxford.' do you think they would severely disadvantage me?
Out of interest, why haven't you also provided the UMS mark of Philosophy and Biology?
Original post by kjb2112
Do Cambridge see UMS? Also when you say 'I don't think your GCSEs would put you totally out of the race for Oxford.' do you think they would severely disadvantage me?

Yeah, Cambridge see UMS.

Tbh, I don't know much about Oxford's use of GCSEs for History&Politics, but I just think it's pretty unlikely they'd auto-reject you for those GCSEs.
Reply 118
Original post by A level Az
Out of interest, why haven't you also provided the UMS mark of Philosophy and Biology?

They're not in the A* range, and I thought people may question whether I had the required A* for Cambridge.

Original post by Chief Wiggum
Yeah, Cambridge see UMS.

Tbh, I don't know much about Oxford's use of GCSEs for History&Politics, but I just think it's pretty unlikely they'd auto-reject you for those GCSEs.

Ok, thanks. If I've got the possibility of Oxbridge I don't want to lose the chance of a place by applying to Oxford if they pay closer attention to GCSE's. Thanks for your advice.
Original post by kjb2112
They're not in the A* range, and I thought people may question whether I had the required A* for Cambridge.

How far off are they?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending