The Student Room Group

I'm on Job Seekers and have to pay for an access course, it's BS!!..What the hell?

Okay, so basically I did a level 3 BTEC National Diploma 2 1/2 years ago and because of that, I can't study this access course for free. I managed to find out if the course still had places, which it did, so I applied and now I'm having trouble with the financial support side of it. I am on Job seekers allowance, but they won't allow me to study the course for free or even reduce the price because they say that the course doesn't lead to work. It's absolute BS!! I mean yeah, I studied a level 3 course 2+ years ago, but now they're saying I can't study this access course without even a little financial help. I am jobless at the moment, so It's impossible to afford the monthly payment, unless I ask my dad if he can help me out for the first few months and then I try hard to look for work (even though there isn't much work about in my area). Education is meant to be free, but now they won't even allow some leeway on funding. My tutor of the course said I can start tomorrow, but how can I now? Especially when the college is saying they can't enrol me until the funding is sorted out! I'm so annoyed right now.

I'm unemployed and trying to better myself by doing this access course, but job centre can't even help me out with the funding. The course is £1400 spread over 10 months, so it's not a huge amount a month, but it's a lot with no job! What can I do? I can't start tomorrow as nothing has been sorted out at all. My friend's mum said I should go ask the doctor if I can go onto "Disability Living allowance" as I'm on medication for my anxiety, but I'm not sure If I can. If I went onto that, I most probably wouldn't have to pay for the course. I'm getting depressed because I really want to do this access course for Uni next year. Any advice?
Reply 1
Going to see if I can reply to this bit by bit because there are several different issues.

Original post by TheEnigmaUK
Okay, so basically I did a level 3 BTEC National Diploma 2 1/2 years ago and because of that, I can't study this access course for free. I managed to find out if the course still had places, which it did, so I applied and now I'm having trouble with the financial support side of it.

OK. You need to be talking to the finance office at your college.
I am on Job seekers allowance, but they won't allow me to study the course for free or even reduce the price because they say that the course doesn't lead to work.

This isn't clear - did you ask the college or the Jobcentre?
It's absolute BS!! I mean yeah, I studied a level 3 course 2+ years ago, but now they're saying I can't study this access course without even a little financial help. I am jobless at the moment, so It's impossible to afford the monthly payment, unless I ask my dad if he can help me out for the first few months and then I try hard to look for work (even though there isn't much work about in my area).

Agree that it's BS.
Education is meant to be free, but now they won't even allow some leeway on funding.

If you do believe that education is meant to be free, by the way - you're in something of a minority and when you've got some spare time please please get involved with some of the work for free education!
My tutor of the course said I can start tomorrow, but how can I now? Especially when the college is saying they can't enrol me until the funding is sorted out! I'm so annoyed right now.

USE THIS. Start straight away regardless of what the finance office says. Don't let yourself out of their sight. You'll be making your place and getting the education you deserve at the same time. Fight for it. If nothing else, just attend the classes and pretend you don't know anything - it will save having to catch up later.

I'm unemployed and trying to better myself by doing this access course, but job centre can't even help me out with the funding.

OK. Funding for education is not what Jobcentre provides. I'm glad you tried asking them, but I'm sorry you were disillusioned. Again - the people you need to be talking to are the finance office at your college, and I wish you the best of luck.
The course is £1400 spread over 10 months, so it's not a huge amount a month, but it's a lot with no job! What can I do? I can't start tomorrow as nothing has been sorted out at all.

I'm sending you a lot of spare cojones in order for you to be able to go in tomorrow and just take your seat in that classroom. Be strong!
My friend's mum said I should go ask the doctor if I can go onto "Disability Living allowance" as I'm on medication for my anxiety, but I'm not sure If I can. If I went onto that, I most probably wouldn't have to pay for the course. I'm getting depressed because I really want to do this access course for Uni next year. Any advice?

Your friend's mum is misinformed - what she is suggesting you apply for is Employment and Support Allowance (DLA is a different benefit). It's also not true that ESA would exempt you from fees for the Access course - in terms of fee exemptions it's no different to JSA. I need to give you another post on ESA because it's a different issue, but it might be able to help you out financially.

Do you know if you're claiming contributions-based or income-based JSA?

I don't know what your family situation is like, but is there any way you could arrange to pay back the Access fee as a long-term family loan? If your dad can pay, even if it's a stretch and a financial burden right now, it could be possible to put forward a case that this is very important to you, an absolutely worthwhile investment, and can be paid back in full to him either once you graduate or before then if you have enough disposable income.

Enormous virtual hugs to you for this massive stress. I promise there's a way through it, whatever form that takes.
Original post by chai wallah
Going to see if I can reply to this bit by bit because there are several different issues.

Agree that it's BS.

If you do believe that education is meant to be free, by the way - you're in something of a minority and when you've got some spare time please please get involved with some of the work for free education!

USE THIS. Start straight away regardless of what the finance office says. Don't let yourself out of their sight. You'll be making your place and getting the education you deserve at the same time. Fight for it. If nothing else, just attend the classes and pretend you don't know anything - it will save having to catch up later.

OK. Funding for education is not what Jobcentre provides. I'm glad you tried asking them, but I'm sorry you were disillusioned. Again - the people you need to be talking to are the finance office at your college, and I wish you the best of luck.

I'm sending you a lot of spare cojones in order for you to be able to go in tomorrow and just take your seat in that classroom. Be strong!

Your friend's mum is misinformed - what she is suggesting you apply for is Employment and Support Allowance (DLA is a different benefit). It's also not true that ESA would exempt you from fees for the Access course - in terms of fee exemptions it's no different to JSA. I need to give you another post on ESA because it's a different issue, but it might be able to help you out financially.

I don't know what your family situation is like, but is there any way you could arrange to pay back the Access fee as a long-term family loan? If your dad can pay, even if it's a stretch and a financial burden right now, it could be possible to put forward a case that this is very important to you, an absolutely worthwhile investment, and can be paid back in full to him either once you graduate or before then if you have enough disposable income.

Enormous virtual hugs to you for this massive stress. I promise there's a way through it, whatever form that takes.

rep rep rep rep rep rep rep rep

I'm not even the OP but you are a god.
Reply 3

Agree that it's BS.

Hey, thanks for your answer. I'm just a bit lost/confused at the moment with the whole financial situation. I mean the college says I can't enrol without the financial issue sorted out. I didn't know about the ESA and being able to claim that instead, because I would have to quit JSA if I attend this course. Also, my dad would be okay with paying for now, but I don't particularly like borrowing from people, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind until I got a part time job some place. I have been looking hard for work, but it's just so hard right now. It feels like no one is bothered with my applications for jobs, so I end up becoming down about it. By the way, I asked the college about the financial help, but she was unhelpful to be honest. She basically told me that I either need to quit the JSA or not bother with this course, as I wouldn't have any income if I quit JSA (which I knew anyway). She told me to speak to Job centre, but I know damn well that Job centre will take me off JSA once they find out I'm planning to attend college. Do you think I can get employment and support allowance if I went to college?
Its not really BS, once you've studied at level 3 without paying you're expected to pay. You've already studied at level 3 therefore have to pay, not the tax payers fault you didn't achieve quite what you would have liked or chose the correct subject. (Why don't you contact unis regarding the level 3 course you've already completed?) Also you can't claim JSA if you are attending an access course, same with ESA, it would be benefit fraud if you did that. Yes that part sucks, but kids at college don't get benfits whilst they study at college, why should you? Some parents do but the government look onto it that its the same as being 16 when in theory its not, but thousands of people starting access courses now will be experiencing the same thing as you, losing benefits and some having to pay for their courses despite being on benefits (Those who have already completed level 3, such as yourself). Speak to the colleges finance department and see if theres any bursary's you can receive (Pretty sure you would be eligible for Discretionary Learner Support), there might be one or two other things what the individual college offers.

Just be lucky your dad is in a position to pay for it, yes it sucks for your morals, but I know loads of people who are in no position to come off benefits or quit their full time jobs to go back to college.
Reply 5
Original post by And then...

Its not really BS, once you've studied at level 3 without paying you're expected to pay. You've already studied at level 3 therefore have to pay, not the tax payers fault you didn't achieve quite what you would have liked or chose the correct subject. (Why don't you contact unis regarding the level 3 course you've already completed?) Also you can't claim JSA if you are attending an access course, same with ESA, it would be benefit fraud if you did that. Yes that part sucks, but kids at college don't get benfits whilst they study at college, why should you? Some parents do but the government look onto it that its the same as being 16 when in theory its not, but thousands of people starting access courses now will be experiencing the same thing as you, losing benefits and some having to pay for their courses despite being on benefits (Those who have already completed level 3, such as yourself). Speak to the colleges finance department and see if theres any bursary's you can receive (Pretty sure you would be eligible for Discretionary Learner Support), there might be one or two other things what the individual college offers.

Just be lucky your dad is in a position to pay for it, yes it sucks for your morals, but I know loads of people who are in no position to come off benefits or quit their full time jobs to go back to college.

He's not really in a position to pay for it, and to be honest, he doesn't want to pay for it. If he can't help me out, I don't know what I will do. There's nothing much else I can do regarding jobs, as I've been applying to loads of places! When I did the Sport course a few years back, I wanted to go to college and study something I was interested in, but now I realise that sport is a big waste of time because it's limited and you can't get many jobs from that area of study.

I just want to study for a career that I'll enjoy studying, not something that I don't want to wake up for in the morning. I've done the full time job thing when I was 16, getting up at 6am and then getting into work for 8am, working until 5:30pm everyday for a whole year. I dread being stuck in a dead end job with no prospects until I'm 30! I want to study for a career now, while I'm still young.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'd recommend contacting the unis you're interested in attending in your chosen subject, telling them about your circumstances and asking if they offer any foundation degrees (Then you'd be eligible for a student loan), remember you don't have to do your foundation degree at the same uni you do your undergrad at.

Theres no funding for your course at the moment, but thousands of people are in the same position, you just have to fund it anyway you can. It would be the same as people funding postgrad really.
Reply 7
Its not really BS, once you've studied at level 3 without paying you're expected to pay. You've already studied at level 3 therefore have to pay, not the tax payers fault you didn't achieve quite what you would have liked or chose the correct subject.
Look, the conditions for funding at my colleges for Access and FE courses were EITHER it has to be your first Level 3 course OR you're on an eligible benefit. The only way to find out - because funding conditions change and I think it might be different geographically too - is to ask the college themselves.
Also you can't claim JSA if you are attending an access course, same with ESA, it would be benefit fraud if you did that.
Not true, if the course is part time. There are threads about this elsewhere on TSR and again, you should check your facts.

Sorry for being arsey about it - the rest of your post is sound so I feel bad for picking harshly on those two points. Your advice really is sound, it's just these two points that aren't quite up to scratch. Sorry again.
Reply 8
To be honest what might work out better - I don't know - financially, socially and educationally might be going straight on to OU study, depending on whether your prospective unis are non-thick enough to accept that this is valid preparation.

(Do you have good GCSEs by the way, or at least Cs in Maths and English?)

As you're looking at a social studies Access and you're interested in International Relations (right?) I can 100% recommend the specific OU module I took:

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/course/dd101.htm

There are other courses you could combine with this, if you have the time and can handle the workload (I couldn't!) - it's worth searching the course database to see what would suit you.

You need to find out whether you're on income-based or contributions-based JSA in order to find out whether you qualify for funding, same as regarding Access (income-based qualifies, contributions-based doesn't). Studying with OU impacts even less on your ability to work than Access, both literally (as in you can get a job while studying) and in terms of bureaucracy (as in it doesn't diminish the hours you're available for work). If you qualify, you'd get FULL funding PLUS a course grant of about £200-300. This is OU-specific funding by the way - you can't apply to them for Access funding.

OU could be better for you in terms of not having to deal with college stress going in 2-5 days a week, depending on your anxiety level and triggers. The standard of work required is also much closer to uni work than Access is, so personally speaking I consider it more worthwhile, but it's what suits you that matters. If Access is going to meet your needs, you need to chase it and grab it.

Logistical problem with OU: you'd be starting a course in January, so it wouldn't be feasible to start uni in 2012 as you'd still be finishing the OU module when you were enrolling at uni. You'd have to take an extra year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending