The Student Room Group

Computer Science Degree Preparation

Hi,

I'm not sure whether this topic should be in this section of the forum or in the Computer Science section. But seeing as I'm a 25 year old I opted for here for some advice. :smile:

What I am wondering is, what sort of preparation is required to apply for and to study affectively a Computer Science degree? I never studied any sort of computer or ICT courses at school, but have worked on programming and networking as part of my job. Enjoying this work I am wondering whether it would be possible to study this area as a degree and study it well.

I'm just worried because a lot of younger students leaving school and applying to do these types of degrees will have a lot of experience at programming and the maths involved etc. So I would hate to feel like I was totally out of my depth and struggle.

I'm starting an Access Course soon doing Maths and Physics at Glasgow University, so hopefully my maths would not be so bad. However I would still have hardly any experience with the programming languages etc that would be used on a Computer Science degree.

Has anyone on here done a similar degree? What is the learning curve like etc?

Thanks for any replies.
Well first of all what programming languages have you used at work? Moving on it is really maths they want anyways. You could be utter crap at programming but as long as you know your Maths you're in.
Reply 2
I wouldn't worry too much. Most college leavers will only have a basic knowledge of VB which won't be used much anyway. I've not seen any colleges that delve further than that.
most likely need an A in A-level math or equivalent though they also consider your life and work experiences if you are a mature student ... best to get in touch with the uni you want to enrol in and find out.
Reply 4
You're not required to know any programming (although this always confuses me - surely you can't commit to a 3 year course of CS without even trying programming before-hand to see if you like it? Anyway, you have experience with it and like it so it's all good) at all so it'll be fine.

A CS degree isn't about learning a specific language and churning out lines of Java so don't think that you have to learn a specific one before you go. They're more interested in the skills that are used. Make sure your Maths is up to scratch though.
(edited 12 years ago)
our university computer science course is mainly java and c# in yr 1, moving in to sql, and C i think in 2 and 3,theres also script and some other stuff to learn
Reply 6
It's not all about programming. Programming's not hard, it's what you program that's hard. A strong mathematical background is preferable over a programming one.
Reply 7
It would probably be a good idea to contact the universities you want to apply to and ask them whether the modules covered on your Access course will be sufficient preparation for their course. Most universities want maths and physics and don't much care about computing/ICT so that's not an issue.

As for learning programming languages, I wouldn't worry too much. If you read the course info for Computer Science, you will likely find that most courses assume no knowledge of programming going in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending