The Student Room Group

To People That Have Dropped Out .....

How did you break the news to your parents and how did they take it?

Im seriously considering it, my course is boring me to no end and im not doing particulary well either.

If i told my parents i wanted to drop out the would probably go mental :/

I dont know what i would do if i dropped out either :redface: The idea of having a full time job isnt particulary inspiring but neither is the thought of another 2 1/2 years of a boring course :rolleyes:

Decisions, decisions ...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I told my parents that I wanted to change course and that I needed to reapply. I told them that I was sure I was doing the right thing and told them that, and they took it quite well and accepted it. You have to tell them that you want to do something else and that you made a misstake, basically. Should work, good luck.
Reply 2
what did you read in sweden before you went to UK?
Reply 3
Yes, use the words "changing course and so need to reapply" as another poster mentioned... do not use the words "drop out" or any other words that suggest moving away from education!!

Explain maturely and clearly and emphasise that you have done your research and its the right decision for you - ultimately this is what your parents want too, although dont expect them to agree instantly and shake your hand for being so brave for wanting to change! :rolleyes:

They will come around - my dad told me I could have a gap year "over his dead body" but hey, I had a gap year and he's still alive and well and still annoying me :wink:

Working full time is not fab, but choose something that suits you and you might as well enjoy the cash - save a substantial amount to have fun with when you do go back to uni, and/or work for a few months then do a bit of travelling or have an amazing holiday.
I waitress full time in the holidays because the hours and days I work are ultra-flexible, the tips are amazing and the people are generally fun and there is always someone to go for lunch / coffee/ a shop / get drunk with. :smile:

Good luck with the parental chat!! Do whats best for you xx
Reply 4
I dont want to change to another course though so i would be dropping out.
I'm thinking of dropping out as I really hate the course and I don't really enjoy being here, plus I'm depressed and finding it hard to cope :frown: I talked to my parents and basically they said theres no way I can start again next year and if I come home I will be a failure to the family and have less right to live at home than anyone plus my mum said she wouldn't acknowledge me as her daughter anymore. I would have to get a full time job in 2 weeks and pay £70 per week rent if not they would kick me out!

See why I can't really quit :rolleyes:
Reply 6
Cortez
I dont want to change to another course though so i would be dropping out.

Ah, that kind of scuppers my post.... :rolleyes:

Well in that case I would say have a good think and do your research, and make up your mind definately, stay at uni until you have made this decision to hedge your bets.

Then tell your parents firmly with conviction.

Good luck!!

--------------

Monkey_Maiden
I'm thinking of dropping out as I really hate the course and I don't really enjoy being here, plus I'm depressed and finding it hard to cope :frown: I talked to my parents and basically they said theres no way I can start again next year and if I come home I will be a failure to the family and have less right to live at home than anyone plus my mum said she wouldn't acknowledge me as her daughter anymore. I would have to get a full time job in 2 weeks and pay £70 per week rent if not they would kick me out!

That is so harsh :frown: I feel sorry for you xx

Do you think they mean it or are trying bully-boy tactics to try and keep you in education ie "they only want whats best for you" :rolleyes:

You wouldnt be a failure. You would be a failure if you stayed doing something you were unhappy with just to keep your parents happy / were too scared to make a decision.

IMO they should be proud that you have had the balls to admit uni isnt all its cracked up to be and you want to do something different with your life.
Reply 7
_EMMA_
what did you read in sweden before you went to UK?

Are you talking about high school?
That is so harsh :frown: I feel sorry for you xx

Do you think they mean it or are trying bully-boy tactics to try and keep you in education ie "they only want whats best for you" :rolleyes:

You wouldnt be a failure. You would be a failure if you stayed doing something you were unhappy with just to keep your parents happy / were too scared to make a decision.

IMO they should be proud that you have had the balls to admit uni isnt all its cracked up to be and you want to do something different with your life.

Thanks :smile: I think it's partly bully tactics but they will go through with it :frown: I just really want to drop out as this isn't the thing for me right now, but I don't want to let my parents down :frown: plus they don't believe I'm depressed, think I'm making it up :frown:
Reply 9
Cortez, make sure that its what you really want to do before you tell them.

Just remember that if you drop out of education now then your earning power later in life is greatly reduced. Its sometimes worth being putting up with being bored for 2 years to make sure you learn a skill which people will pay you for.

If 'dropping out' is really what you want then i'm sure your parents will understand, sure they wont really be happy but i'm sure tey will understand if you have a serious reason.

When I started Uni my dad said that he doesn't mind if I drop out, as long as its for a good reason i.e. I'm struggling with the work. He won't be happy if I drop out because I can't be **** to go to lectures cos i'm too hungover.

I'm sure they will understand, also why don't you tell them what your thinking? they may be able to help you make a decission..
Reply 10
ellewoods
Yes, use the words "changing course and so need to reapply" as another poster mentioned... do not use the words "drop out" or any other words that suggest moving away from education!!

Explain maturely and clearly and emphasise that you have done your research and its the right decision for you - ultimately this is what your parents want too, although dont expect them to agree instantly and shake your hand for being so brave for wanting to change! :rolleyes:

They will come around - my dad told me I could have a gap year "over his dead body" but hey, I had a gap year and he's still alive and well and still annoying me :wink:

Working full time is not fab, but choose something that suits you and you might as well enjoy the cash - save a substantial amount to have fun with when you do go back to uni, and/or work for a few months then do a bit of travelling or have an amazing holiday.
I waitress full time in the holidays because the hours and days I work are ultra-flexible, the tips are amazing and the people are generally fun and there is always someone to go for lunch / coffee/ a shop / get drunk with. :smile:

Good luck with the parental chat!! Do whats best for you xx

Where do you work?
Reply 11
evilheat
Are you talking about high school?

yeah something like that.was just curious about what kind of education you had before you applied.
Reply 12
Ive come to the decision that i will give it a few more weeks. Semester two starts next week and i think a change of modules is in order which will hopefully be more interesting. At the moment im only enjoying 1 of the 4 modules, 2 of them are basicaly A level computer (v. boring) and the other is just too difficult :frown:
louise28k
Where do you work?

TGI Fridays.... :rolleyes:
Monkey_Maiden

Thats mad, my parents i guess they would be disappointed if i full on dropped out but they wouldnt disown me or chuck me out. Of course they would like me to get a job, but it would take as long as it takes. As far as my parents are concerned its my choice where i take my life from here and they will support me.
Reply 15
I dropped out recently, but im going back in September to start afresh.

My advice is, just stick it out. Im not going to tell you how i know this, but the world is very close to a major change, you just have to ride it out, and being at uni for 3 years beats working a job for 3 years! It just passes some time.

Whether you take that advice or not is up to you, but just look at the way the world is heading, you should have as MUCH fun as possible now. Screw working, there really is no future for the materialistic world, that will die, along with people like Bush.

Trust me, go back to uni and have some fun to pass the time :smile:

If you want to know more, PM me and i will explain all :smile:
I texted my mum asking her what she thought(was too scared to say it over the phone) and I apologised lots because I know she paid a lot of money for me to be at uni etc....

I think I said something like 'What would you say if I were to leave and reapply next year?'

I then followed this up with a crying phone call,lol.

She was cool with it and I came home,took me about a month to sort out a job and during that time I was a little bit depressed but now I have 2 jobs and work 6-7 days a week so I'm never bored.I'm really enjoying it and I've booked two amazing holidays and I'm going back to uni next year(and can't wait...)...

I've even managed to dodge the rent my mother is attempting to charge me,lol.
I sent my dad a text when I was drunk. Heheh. I was absolutely wasted, it was like "Dad I've not been going to Uni for about a month I dropped out. I'm pissed!". But with really bad spelling.

I was away with some friends for the weekend, I got back on the Sunday and had completely forgotten about sending the text. Luckily, my dad appreciates drunken things like that or he might have been a bit annoyed about finding out that way. I did make it quite clear that I would be reapplying elsewhere though. If I hadn't he'd have gone on at me about getting a full time job, rather than letting me doss about doing a few part time jobs here and there for almost 18 months :p:.
Originally Posted by Monkey_Maiden
"I'm thinking of dropping out as I really hate the course and I don't really enjoy being here, plus I'm depressed and finding it hard to cope I talked to my parents and basically they said theres no way I can start again next year and if I come home I will be a failure to the family and have less right to live at home than anyone plus my mum said she wouldn't acknowledge me as her daughter anymore. I would have to get a full time job in 2 weeks and pay £70 per week rent if not they would kick me out!

See why I can't really quit."

If you are going to quit then you need to plan ahead. Personally I didn't enjoy education much, but after 3 years of dull mind-numbing work I am really looking foward to starting my course tomorrow because at least at the end of the day you have something to show for it whereas after a day working in the shop all you can say is I made my employer x amount of money which doesn't have the same affect! Anyway if you do drop-out then from the sound of things you need to secure a job, this can be done while you are at uni. Then when you have started work you can leave uni. However I WOULD SERIOUSLY RECOMMEND TRYING A PART-TIME JOB FOR A FEW MONTHS FIRST BECAUSE ONCE YOU REALISE WHAT IT IS LIKE YOU MAY CHANGE YOUR MIND ABOUT IT. If you don't then you'll have some experience to help you get a full time job. Plus either way the money can't hurt and the hours can be fitted around your studies.
Reply 19
Cortez
How did you break the news to your parents and how did they take it?

Im seriously considering it, my course is boring me to no end and im not doing particulary well either.

If i told my parents i wanted to drop out the would probably go mental :/

I dont know what i would do if i dropped out either :redface: The idea of having a full time job isnt particulary inspiring but neither is the thought of another 2 1/2 years of a boring course :rolleyes:

Decisions, decisions ...

I dropped out last year and came back the next year but when i told my parents the first time my dad took it well but my mum didnt speak to me for a week.

Latest

Trending

Trending