The Student Room Group

Anybody know what psychology is like at these universities?

Hello, I'm currently about to start the second year of my A Levels and am hoping to study psychology at university next year.
Does anybody know anything about psychology at the universities I've shortlisted, and what they're like in general please?

Surrey
Loughborough
Essex
Exeter
Sussex
Oxford Brookes
Reading
Warwick

Thank you in advance for any help :smile:
Reply 1
In terms of reputation... (as far as I know) (top 3 are definitely correct)

Exeter
Sussex
Warwick
Surrey
Essex
Reading
Brookes
L'boro

Apparently a third of sussex students study some form of psychology... take that as you will.
Exeter has a good department and Warwick and Surrey's are alright. No idea about the others...
Reply 2
Thank you very much :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by skotch
In terms of reputation... (as far as I know) (top 3 are definitely correct)

Sussex
Warwick
Surrey
Exeter
Essex
Reading
L'Boro
Brookes

Edited according to CUG.
Overall in rep Warwick is clearly the most 'prestigious'.
Reply 4
Surrey is apparently very good :smile:
Reply 5
Thank you everyone. I really like surrey but that's the only one i've been to visit so may be biased! But I think Surrey, Exeter, Sussex and then Loughborough (as it does a placement year) but i'm undecided between Essex and Oxford Brookes.
Reply 6
Original post by xloren
Thank you everyone. I really like surrey but that's the only one i've been to visit so may be biased! But I think Surrey, Exeter, Sussex and then Loughborough (as it does a placement year) but i'm undecided between Essex and Oxford Brookes.

Choose Essex!:biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by bruce_t89
Choose Essex!:biggrin:

Do you go to Essex? :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by xloren
Do you go to Essex? :smile:

Yah! We have a decent department so it would be a good 5th choice for you.:smile:
Reply 9
What areas of psychology interest you the most? Different departments have slightly different strengths (and weaknesses)
Reply 10
Original post by bruce_t89
Yah! We have a decent department so it would be a good 5th choice for you.:smile:

Okay thank you! What's Essex like as a whole? Like the uni in general, nightlife etc :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Bluth.
What areas of psychology interest you the most? Different departments have slightly different strengths (and weaknesses)

I very much enjoy mental health aspects of psychology/ clinical. Thank you, okay I'll take that into consideration :smile:
Psychological....

It's best you go and visit them and read the course information on the university's website/university profiles on TSR.
Reply 13
Original post by xloren
Okay thank you! What's Essex like as a whole? Like the uni in general, nightlife etc :smile:

The uni's atmosphere is very lively. We have two nightclubs and a restaurant that turns into a club. There are also 2 bars on campus. If you join societies, go to flat parties, go out for pub crawls and go clubbing you'll have a great student experience. The buildings aren't aesthetically the nicest but the Lecture Theatre Building is very good and the library is pretty big.
Reply 14
Thanks that's very helpful :smile:
Reply 15
I'm a Psychology graduate from Reading uni - the university itself is great, no problems with the nightlife etc.

In regards to the course, I've always felt it was overpriced - and I only paid £3k a year tuition. I had on average 4 hours of lectures a week and one 2 hour practical workshop for stats. In my final year, it was just 6 hours of lectures a week. However, I think they are trying introducing a placement module for undergraduates, so you get experience. The most important piece of advice I can give you is to get experience whilst your at uni, regardless of which uni you go to.

Quick Reply

Latest