The Student Room Group

2012 Uni Applicants for Photography

Hi everyone!
I know it's early, but I thought I'd start a new thread for those of us applying to do Photography at Uni in 2012, as the 2011 one looked really useful for discussing applications, choices, portfolios, interviews etc.!

I'm Laura and I've just finished my A levels in Photography, Graphic Design and Psychology. I've just began my art and design foundation class and I want to do a BA photography course in 2012.

I'm undecided about which Unis, I've only chose Nottingham Trent so far.

So, who else is applying for photography 2012?
What are you doing at the moment?
Where are you thinking of applying?
etc..
:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LauraG1992
Hi everyone!
I know it's early, but I thought I'd start a new thread for those of us applying to do Photography at Uni in 2012, as the 2011 one looked really useful for discussing applications, choices, portfolios, interviews etc.!

I'm Laura and I've just finished my A levels in Photography, Graphic Design and Psychology. I've just began my art and design foundation class and I want to do a BA photography course in 2012.

I'm undecided about which Unis, I've only chose Nottingham Trent so far.

So, who else is applying for photography 2012?
What are you doing at the moment?
Where are you thinking of applying?
etc..
:smile:

Yay Photography!! :biggrin: I'm currently doing AS and A2 together as my college wouldn't let me jump straight on to AS without doing GCSE :/. However I got an A* in GCSE so that gives me hope!! :P I want to go to uni in 2012 hopefully so I don't have to wait around for a year to do an art foundation when I don't really need to do one. I like the look of Falmouth and Camberwell at the moment, thinking about Bournemouth and Brighton too. How are you doing with your personal statement? That's what is getting me at the moment, I just don't know how to write it and looking at what I've got so far it's so cheesy!
Reply 2
Original post by procrastination...
Yay Photography!! :biggrin: I'm currently doing AS and A2 together as my college wouldn't let me jump straight on to AS without doing GCSE :/. However I got an A* in GCSE so that gives me hope!! :P I want to go to uni in 2012 hopefully so I don't have to wait around for a year to do an art foundation when I don't really need to do one. I like the look of Falmouth and Camberwell at the moment, thinking about Bournemouth and Brighton too. How are you doing with your personal statement? That's what is getting me at the moment, I just don't know how to write it and looking at what I've got so far it's so cheesy!

Yess another photography applicant!:smile: Ah right, yeh the A* is good! I kind of wish I had just applied last year when doing my A levels, but went for art foundation as I was unsure what I wanted to do, I'm enjoying it but it's gutting knowing that I could have been at uni now! I've considered all of those unis you mentioned, having trouble deciding which ones to go for, especially as I live quite far away from all those down south it's hard to go to open days.
To be honest I've only started working on my personal statement this week, I wrote one for BA photography last year (my college made me go through the personal statement writing etc. even though I wasn't applying, which I hated at the time but I suppose it helps now) so I just need to improve that (quite a lot) and add things to that. I need to get my act together and try and go to some exhibitions/ get some sort of experience because I need things to write about haha. It's really hard figuring out how to write it isn't it!
Reply 3
ooo yay other photography applicants,

I'm Rayanne doing A Levels in Fine Art, History and French
I'm applying to LCC and Glasgow School of Art for photography and then foundation and fine art courses at Kent, UCL and Lincoln- though no matter where I go I'm going to be doing photography. Sent off on monday and so far, just acknowledgements. :smile:
Reply 4
Sent off nine days ago, only one acknowledgement from the ECA. Should I be worried? :/
Reply 5

Contrary to your belief you would hugely benefit from doing an art foundation course. I somehow happened to end up in one after finishing my A levels a few years back and It was the best year of education I ever had.

I'm applying for entry this year onto BA photography at LCC, Westminster, Edinburgh and Newport for Doc Photography, but I have friends on many courses around the country who still rate art foundation over their degree courses (and these are well established institutions). Plus you may find that having a foundation is pretty much a prerequisite for all those courses you list.

Anyway all the best and please don't dismiss the foundation!

Louie
Original post by louiegy
Contrary to your belief you would hugely benefit from doing an art foundation course. I somehow happened to end up in one after finishing my A levels a few years back and It was the best year of education I ever had.

I'm applying for entry this year onto BA photography at LCC, Westminster, Edinburgh and Newport for Doc Photography, but I have friends on many courses around the country who still rate art foundation over their degree courses (and these are well established institutions). Plus you may find that having a foundation is pretty much a prerequisite for all those courses you list.

Anyway all the best and please don't dismiss the foundation!

Louie

Yeah a lot of them recommend doing a foundation, I'll definitely do it if I'm not successful in getting to uni this time around. :smile:
Have only been acknowledged by Falmouth at the moment, they want me to send them a mini online portfolio for 20-30 images!! So nervous as I don't feel like I have enough/decent work for that! Anyone else in this situation?!
Reply 8
Have only been acknowledged by Falmouth at the moment, they want me to send them a mini online portfolio for 20-30 images!! So nervous as I don't feel like I have enough/decent work for that! Anyone else in this situation?!

sent of my digital portfolio to kingston yesterday (so stressful) but they only wanted 10, but I have to send one to the Glasgow School of Art and they want 25, so kind of feeling the same thing, but GSA want development images and stuff like that from my sketchbook included in the 25 which means less pressure for final images. Maybe falmouth want developments to? :smile:
Reply 9

I got my email from Falmouth and I'm in the same situation! I feel as though my work isn't good enough or that I don't have enough work! I'm also nervous about writing 300 words on my work - I feel as though I won't be able to explain who I am or about my work in only 300 words!
I'm Carl, and I'm applying to Edinburgh College of Art, Glasgow School of Art, Hereford College of Arts, Bath School of Art and Design and Brighton University. So far I've sent in portfolio's for everyone, except Bath, I haven't even gotten an acknowledgement from them yet so I don't know.
Reply 11
Original post by madrassnuff
I'm Carl, and I'm applying to Edinburgh College of Art, Glasgow School of Art, Hereford College of Arts, Bath School of Art and Design and Brighton University. So far I've sent in portfolio's for everyone, except Bath, I haven't even gotten an acknowledgement from them yet so I don't know.

Nice! I'm applying to ECA and GSA as well. :smile:
Hi, I'm Megan, And I've just applied for Ba photography, at. Nottingham Trent, Sheffield Hallam, Manchester Met, Durham and Huddersfield, has any one else applied for these Uni, and had any replied back ?
Original post by Senika
Nice! I'm applying to ECA and GSA as well. :smile:

Ahh, cool. Have you sent in any of the mini-portfolio's for the GSA or ECA yet, and if so have you gotten any news yet?
Reply 14
Original post by madrassnuff
Ahh, cool. Have you sent in any of the mini-portfolio's for the GSA or ECA yet, and if so have you gotten any news yet?

Yes, I sent my mini-portfolio to ECA a month ago. GSA had some technical problems so I uploaded my images just recently. No news yet.
What about you? What's your first choice? I visited ECA in October, seems like a great place. :smile:
Original post by soph6
I got my email from Falmouth and I'm in the same situation! I feel as though my work isn't good enough or that I don't have enough work! I'm also nervous about writing 300 words on my work - I feel as though I won't be able to explain who I am or about my work in only 300 words!

Ugh yes!! What platform are you using to create your portfolio? I have no idea what to write though! They didn't really go into much detail on the email. :/
Original post by MeganRBlackwell
Hi, I'm Megan, And I've just applied for Ba photography, at. Nottingham Trent, Sheffield Hallam, Manchester Met, Durham and Huddersfield, has any one else applied for these Uni, and had any replied back ?

I've applied to Nottingham Trent, haven't heard anything from them as of yet. I reckon they'll wait until the new year or the deadline to send out replies.
Reply 17
Hello, i'm Zoe and I've just applied for Photography at Manchester metropoliton, Sheffield hallam, Coventry, Falmouth and Plymouth. I've got a conditional from Coventry, sent my portfolio for Manchester but not yet Falmouth, i'm in the same boat about writing 300 words!!
I'm using tumblr for it!, it's really easy to use :smile:
Original post by zoealice
Hello, i'm Zoe and I've just applied for Photography at Manchester metropoliton, Sheffield hallam, Coventry, Falmouth and Plymouth. I've got a conditional from Coventry, sent my portfolio for Manchester but not yet Falmouth, i'm in the same boat about writing 300 words!!
I'm using tumblr for it!, it's really easy to use :smile:

Ahh! Yeah I was thinking of using tumblr as I already use it for a blog but I fancied doing a website style thing instead. Really have no idea with the 300 words!
Original post by Senika
Yes, I sent my mini-portfolio to ECA a month ago. GSA had some technical problems so I uploaded my images just recently. No news yet.
What about you? What's your first choice? I visited ECA in October, seems like a great place. :smile:

Yeah, my first choice is probably ECA, but I haven't visited any of the schools I've applied to just yet, so I'm not quite 100% sure. Seems really good though. Yeh, I've uploaded everything and no news. :frown:, but i hear that ECA and GSA are really slow in replying, so it's probably gonna be a while before anything happens.

Quick Reply

Latest