The Student Room Group

2012 Uni Applicants for Photography

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GHSGREED
Hey, I'm George from Somerset....

I'm so happy that I found this thread, nice to be able to get advice and share experiences with people in exactly the same boat as you!

I'm applying to do BA Photography/Photographic Art at Falmouth, Glamorgan, Newport, Brighton and London College of Communication. I'm currently sorting my online portfolio for Falmouth, who want it by Friday. Image-wise I'm happy but am a little stuck with the whole 300 words part... any advice? Thanks :smile:

Hello! I did that for Falmouth not too long ago, they want to interview me now so I must've done something right! Just talk about your influences and what your photography is all about really. Like photographers you like and what you like about them. What kinds of photographs you take and explain them a bit. Hopefully this helps!
Original post by :)fee
what cameras are you lot using, just out of interest :smile:?

Olympus OM10, Mamiya 645 and Nikon D5000 :smile:

Canon 1000D. Had it for a few years now. Going to get a 5DMKII before I go to uni hopefully, as that'll last another fair few years.

Nikon D90 with a 55-20mm VR because I mainly shoot wildlife also have a D60 that just hangs around as a spare plus a ton of old film gear .
Original post by procrastination...
Bournemouth want to interview me! Have you had an interview with them? How was it? Ahhh!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sophie_gray/ this is me, not a portfolio as such, just a collection of photos

I didn't get an interview at Bournemouth, just had to send off my portfolio maybe because i live a long way from Bournemouth. Your photos are sick so you'll get in and i especillay like the ones of the baby cat.
Original post by markosparko1994
I didn't get an interview at Bournemouth, just had to send off my portfolio maybe because i live a long way from Bournemouth. Your photos are sick so you'll get in and i especillay like the ones of the baby cat.

Ahh that's lucky then, I don't really live that close either but fortunately I'll be down country for my Falmouth interview and the Bournemouth one is the day after! Aw thank you that means a lot :smile: It's just being able to talk about them is what gets me, I don't know the kinds of things you need to be saying and stuff. Or maybe I'm over thinking it I'm not sure. :P
Reply 86
I've heard back from Falmouth I have two weeks to send a fashion based e-portfolio..
I haven't had the chance to take any fashion type images at my current course! We've just been taugh landscape and still life, only in this term are we even learning a bit about studio.. got less than 2 weeks to plan and find models eek. Anybody know what a portfolio for fashion photog should be like? do they have high expectations?
Reply 87
Original post by markosparko1994
I didn't get an interview at Bournemouth, just had to send off my portfolio maybe because i live a long way from Bournemouth.

How far away do you live from Bournemouth if you dont mind me asking?
Im applying there n im around a 4 hour train journey away so it is a bit of a hike.
I was just wondering if maybe I come under the people who dont get asked for interview?:s-smilie:

Thanks
Original post by roxxyx
I've heard back from Falmouth I have two weeks to send a fashion based e-portfolio..
I haven't had the chance to take any fashion type images at my current course! We've just been taugh landscape and still life, only in this term are we even learning a bit about studio.. got less than 2 weeks to plan and find models eek. Anybody know what a portfolio for fashion photog should be like? do they have high expectations?

Hi Roxxyx! I've applied for fashion photography too. I have the same problem like you, this is my portfolio: www.flickr.com/damianmalicki
I haven't sent my folio yet, because I'm still not shure which photos choose.
Reply 89
Hey guys!
I am Evie from LT.
I've applied for:
1.University College Falmouth - Fashion Photography(I also received a letter from them and they want to see my portfolio including 12 images.)
2.University of Gloucestershire - Photography-Editorial and Advertising
3.University of Wales,Newport - Photography for Fashion and Advertisement
4.Nottingham Trent University - Photography
5.Middlesex University - Photography
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by roxxyx

I've applied for the Photography course there so I don't know about the fashion one. However, I'd show them a range of what you can do, so use some of your best shots as they'll want to know your skills as well as what you want to shoot. Do they want 20-30 photos? If so then you could easily bulk it up with the work you currently have. Try and get some fashion style shots as soon as you can as they obviously want to see that too! Perhaps concentrate on that this week and then compile all your work next week?
Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by jessyrks
How far away do you live from Bournemouth if you dont mind me asking?
Im applying there n im around a 4 hour train journey away so it is a bit of a hike.
I was just wondering if maybe I come under the people who dont get asked for interview?:s-smilie:

Thanks

well, i am not sure that it is al about location as to weather you have an interview or not, it could be categorised in some other way but I live about a 4 hour train ride away too. Ask them when you go, i'd be interested.
Ahh that's lucky then, I don't really live that close either but fortunately I'll be down country for my Falmouth interview and the Bournemouth one is the day after! Aw thank you that means a lot :smile: It's just being able to talk about them is what gets me, I don't know the kinds of things you need to be saying and stuff. Or maybe I'm over thinking it I'm not sure. :P

Yeah, have a little think about it but be honest and its all good! but I am not very good at putting words together so I did have a bit of a think. maybe see you next year even!
Reply 93
Original post by damianpoland
Hi Roxxyx! I've applied for fashion photography too. I have the same problem like you, this is my portfolio: www.flickr.com/damianmalicki
I haven't sent my folio yet, because I'm still not shure which photos choose.

You have 12 brilliant photos there :smile: they all shout fashion to me!
Reply 94
I've applied for the Photography course there so I don't know about the fashion one. However, I'd show them a range of what you can do, so use some of your best shots as they'll want to know your skills as well as what you want to shoot. Do they want 20-30 photos? If so then you could easily bulk it up with the work you currently have. Try and get some fashion style shots as soon as you can as they obviously want to see that too! Perhaps concentrate on that this week and then compile all your work next week?
Hope this helps :smile:

I took some monday and going to again this week and monday, just it's hard when your rushed to get together models etc!
I have loads of other photos I love but theyre mostly landscapes etc, so don't think they'd be any good haha :smile:
Original post by roxxyx
I took some monday and going to again this week and monday, just it's hard when your rushed to get together models etc!
I have loads of other photos I love but theyre mostly landscapes etc, so don't think they'd be any good haha :smile:

Just as long as you're prepared you'll be fine I'm sure!
Reply 96
Just as long as you're prepared you'll be fine I'm sure!

Oh and it's 12 images :smile: e-porfolio just gotta get crakin'
Original post by roxxyx
You have 12 brilliant photos there :smile: they all shout fashion to me!

Thank You! :wink: I'm still afraid about my portfolio :frown:
Reply 98
Hey I'm Tommy,
applying to:
LCF - BA and Fda
Camberwell
Brighton
Westminster

I've had acknowledgement for all but BA at LCF, and sent Westminster a e-portfolio of 15 images with a few answered questioned they asked.

anyone else heard from this lot?
Original post by roxxyx

I have to do this too! I'm not sure about how high their expectations are, i just keep taking lots of photographs until the deadline for sending it off! I think as long as your happy with your work, don't worry about it :smile: im just gonna try be as confident as possible

Quick Reply

Latest