The Student Room Group

The leg press. Good or Bad?

So ive tried trading squats for this excercise (i know alot less effective) but i want to mix up my leg routine.
Im currently doing 10 reps of 150kg. (Light i know)

My question is, does this excercise build good mass and strenghth?
Ive seen many articles all either in favour or against it. Looking for some clarification on the subject.

some people also seem to suggest its a machine which you can get injured on rather easily, thoughts?
I do both, squats first then leg press later
Reply 2
It'll build leg muscle well, but obviously it's not nearly as good as a squat - you don't engage nearly as many muscles, so get far less gains. I don't squat because I want good legs, I squat because there is nothing better for good abs...
Original post by JLB
It'll build leg muscle well, but obviously it's not nearly as good as a squat - you don't engage nearly as many muscles, so get far less gains. I don't squat because I want good legs, I squat because there is nothing better for good abs...

:confused:
Leg press is a good exercise but unless you suffer from any lower back problems then it is no replacement for squats. Leg Press severely neglects the posterior chain if used in isolation, it should ideally be used as an assistance exercise (I do this) but it will provide some very good mass gains for your quads.

Like I said however, there are more than one muscle in the leg that needs training, don't wimp out from squatting, it will do you no favours in the long run.
Original post by JLB

You squat for good abs? That's like saying you bench press for good shoulders.
Reply 6
Original post by woody55
So ive tried trading squats for this excercise (i know alot less effective) but i want to mix up my leg routine.

Ive seen many articles all either in favour or against it. Looking for some clarification on the subject.

some people also seem to suggest its a machine which you can get injured on rather easily, thoughts?

If you claim to be squatting 150 X 10 and you're asking basic questions about the leg press then I would put money on it that you're not squatting deep.
Reply 7
Original post by Cast.Iron
If you claim to be squatting 150 X 10 and you're asking basic questions about the leg press then I would put money on it that you're not squatting deep.

Thats my leg press stats, not squats. I wish they were my Squat stats. :smile:
Original post by Cast.Iron

I've thought this reading these boards.

Guys claiming they 6 or 7 rep 140 but have never tested their 1RM? Get out of here. I know for a fact that once you've squatted 100+ to depth you get curious about what your 1RM is all the time.
Reply 9
150 for 10 reps ? Strong stuff man...

Let me add this: Squat is one of the other lifts which is easy to cheat to ... often not intentionally.

I could do half squat of maybe 120... my best has been 100 and few reps (deep) ... speaking of that in few hours I will be doing squats will post videos on my form xD

EDIT: Right someone with 4 rep gem has just negged me...
hmm

Why may I ask ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by woody55
Thats my leg press stats, not squats. I wish they were my Squat stats. :smile:

My mistake buddy. The leg press is a useful tool but it should never act as a substitute for squats.

Original post by Break To Build

Guys claiming they 6 or 7 rep 140 but have never tested their 1RM? Get out of here. I know for a fact that once you've squatted 100+ to depth you get curious about what your 1RM is all the time.

Amen to that.
Novice linear progression on starting strength can get you to 150 in as soon as 12 weeks. That's assuming the starting point is 3x5x60kg, and you really, really want it.
Reply 12
Original post by woody55

It has its place. Wouldn't have thought it'd get you much stronger at squats though.
I like leg press. 'specially after heavy squats for high reps.

It needs to be done properly though, knees to chest.
Original post by Break To Build

I dont.

If I am doing maximum strength front squats I do one rep then rest 30ish seconds before doing another. I know how strong I am based on that and it works for me.
To be fair, most gym goers (however strong) never bother with 1rm, nor seem interested with it.
Reply 16
Original post by Old School
I like leg press. 'specially after heavy squats for high reps.

It needs to be done properly though, knees to chest.

Cheers for the response. with regards to knees to chest, alot of websites I looked at suggested not to do this as it can cause injurys very easily, especially in the lower back.
I've been going just beyond a right angle at the knee.
Original post by woody55
Cheers for the response. with regards to knees to chest, alot of websites I looked at suggested not to do this as it can cause injurys very easily, especially in the lower back.
I've been going just beyond a right angle at the knee.

Also acceptable. Just don't do what 90% of people do when they go on a vertical leg press (or squat for that matter) and move your legs a few inches. RoM is key.

Quick Reply

Latest