The Student Room Group

Anybody else not getting a Grant this year?

For my student finance, i only got the tuition loan and maintenance fee.
Will that be enough for me to live on or will i have to get a job? I will not be going out as much in my second year as i really want to get a First.
The maintenance loan is about £3500 or so. Will that last me for the whole year?

Scroll to see replies

You got rent to pay? Food, transport, resources?
you're gunna need to get a job it seems.. it shouldn't be too bad, i too plan on getting one, just hope you get flexible hours
Depends if you're living at home. If not, that likely won't even cover the rent. Also, what are the travel costs like? And are you getting any from your parents?
Reply 4
I'm not getting a grant and I'm going to be spending 80 pounds upwards a week on petrol to get to uni.
If you're living at home you'll be fine.

If you're living at uni that won't cover your accomodation in most places.
Reply 6
If you're not getting any grant then it seems your parents are earning a lot, and in these cases Student Finance expect your parents to pick up the slack.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by -honeybee-
If you're living at home you'll be fine.

If you're living at uni that won't cover your accomodation in most places.

I'm living on Campus. It's £3564 that will be paid to me and £3375 to my uni. The £3564 is the MAXIMUM that i'm entitled to apparently.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Muffinz
If you're not getting any grant then it seems you parents are earning a lot, and in these cases Student Finance expect your parents to pick up the slack.

It seems my mother did not fill out the form that i sent to her which would allow me my grant. What can i do now? If i contact them, will i still be able to fill it in and get it sent to them?
Reply 9
Original post by Silver Arrow
It seems my mother did not fill out the form that i sent to her which would allow me my grant. What can i do now? If i contact them, will i still be able to fill it in and get it sent to them?

She didn't? Why not? She didn't want to disclose her earnings?
For my student finance, i only got the tuition loan and maintenance fee.
Will that be enough for me to live on or will i have to get a job? I will not be going out as much in my second year as i really want to get a First.
The maintenance loan is about £3500 or so. Will that last me for the whole year?

Depends how much your accommodation is obviously. The point of not getting a grant is that the government expect your parents to give you some money for university if they earn that much (bit silly really because not all parents can, and not all parents whose children have the full grant can't afford to).

Anybody like to explain that neg rep? :dontknow:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11

Do you have to cover Halls of Residence fees/Rent with that? Ring the loans Company Re. Grant info perhaps
Good Luck
Original post by Muffinz
She didn't? Why not? She didn't want to disclose her earnings?

She was on holiday and must've not seen the letter. I definetly sent it to her.
Original post by Rascacielos
Depends how much your accommodation is obviously. The point of not getting a grant is that the government expect your parents to give you some money for university if they earn that much (bit silly really because not all parents can, and not all parents whose children have the full grant can't afford to).

Accom for the whole year is £4120. I'm in halls unfortunately :frown:
My mum cannot give me any money, she earns very little.
Reply 14

Well call up student finance, tell them the situation, tell them your parent's income is deffo below the threshold and that there's been some miscommunication and errors, and find out what the quickest way is that you can repair the issue.

In the meantime, look for a job and the cheapest accom, food and coursebooks...

I took the cheapest accom available and its about £3.2k for the whole year, shared kitchen and bathroom.
If your maintenence loan is approx £3500 and your accomodation is £4120 then you definetely will have to find some money from somewhere. Surely you must have realised that makes you about 600 quid out of pocket to start with even before you eat/etc.

You will have to either get a job, or ask your parents if they can do anything.
Reply 16

Wait, so you don't live with her? Who do you live with?
Reply 17
It doesn't matter when you do it but if you send off the forms with BOTH of your parents' income by post, a maintenance grant will automatically be adjusted. Not sure how it works if your parents are divorced/seperated though.
Reply 18
I think if you don't live with your parents, you're not entitled to a grant.
Original post by Xyls
I'm not getting a grant and I'm going to be spending 80 pounds upwards a week on petrol to get to uni.

Same :frown: I'm already sick of driving, don't really fancy the 40 minute drive there and back almost every day!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending