The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 1
not sure, but you might get a better response in a more frequently viewed forum like general discussion - i'd guess that it's a national company.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
www.clecomsoftware.com

It's a local birmingham company that does this specifically for selly oak/harborne students, the thing on there is the "no hassle solution" that you want. There are 3 of us in my house, we pay £41 each for:

1mbit telewest internet
telewest phone (free evening and weekend calls)
all the water we can use
all the electricity we can use
all the gas we can use

It's just less hassle than setting it up yourself, lots of people use them.

As for networking to each rooms, wirelessly is an option if the house isn't pre-wired, or you can pay clecom about £400 to do it, or you can pay people like me the price of beer and parts to do it :wink: (5 houses to date professionally installed by dave :p: )
Reply 3
davesstones
www.clecomsoftware.com

It's a local birmingham company that does this specifically for selly oak/harborne students, the thing on there is the "no hassle solution" that you want. There are 3 of us in my house, we pay £41 each for:

1mbit telewest internet
all the water we can use
all the gas we can use

As for networking to each rooms, wirelessly is an option if the house isn't pre-wired, or you can pay clecom about £400 to do it, or you can pay people like me the price of beer and parts to do it :wink: (5 houses to date professionally installed by dave :p: )

ok...whats the catch? that almost sounds too good to be true...
Reply 4
I haven't found one. The telewest prices are exactly the same as if you went straight to telewest, and i can't believe that the company makes money from electricity and gas as it is unlimited-use. I am thinking they must be on some kind of commission for the amount of signups for each utility supplier they get.
Reply 5
hahahha, sounds like an advert
Reply 6
Thanks Dave:P shoulda guessed you'd come up with my answer lolol

One last question

We'd be renting the house July-June as you seem to almost have to.. grr.. (PS does anyone get half price rent through summer? we don't but my bro in manchester does :frown: )

Do we have to have it set up for electricity etc through July-September even though we won't be there?
Reply 7
Daveid
Thanks Dave:P shoulda guessed you'd come up with my answer lolol

One last question

We'd be renting the house July-June as you seem to almost have to.. grr.. (PS does anyone get half price rent through summer? we don't but my bro in manchester does :frown: )

Do we have to have it set up for electricity etc through July-September even though we won't be there?

Look at that "summer saver" thing on there :wink: it doesn't affect me as I live down here through summer but you can get everything installed and set up, and pay "cost only" so you wouldnt have telephone or internet except for incoming calls, and you would pay as you use for elec and gas, so if everything is turned off you would have a bill of pence :smile:

You have to have suppliers set up or agree to pay the bills for those months, else the previous tenants would get a bit pissed off if they get the bills for months when they are no longer tenants... :p:

I rent 1st august-31st july, that is much much better :biggrin:
Reply 8
"You have to have suppliers set up or agree to pay the bills for those months, else the previous tenants would get a bit pissed off if they get the bills for months when they are no longer tenants..."

huh? What's that bit mean?

The situation on our house we're getting is the landlord just bought it the other day and is doing it up in time for July... if we do the summer saver does it make it a little more hassle? And also how do we get gas readings on 1st of July, I won't be here lol or does someone have to be :frown: :confused: ? Thanks for the answers :smile:
Reply 9
You just take a reading when you move in, and then they estimate backwards. The bit i meant about tenants getting pissed of is thus:

You are tenant 1, you have lived in a house for a year and are moving away, all the bills and stuff have been set up in your name. Tenant 2 moves into the house, and starts whoring electricity and gas like it is going out of fashion. They haven't notified the companies that they are moving in. Tenant 1 gets a bill from electricity and gas board and thinks "hmm that's a nuisance, i don't live there anymore" and throws it away. They then get 2nd, 3rd and final reminders, and then the bailiffs turn up. Tenant 1 is understandably pissed off by tenant 2's actions.

I've seen this happen before :smile:
Reply 10
eep lol and with www.clecomsoftware.com we specify how long we'll be there right so it stops going to us after our contract ends yea? or do we have to inform all the companies when we leave :confused:
no, they do it all for you
i just sorted out my house of 6, and we were given a little info pack about this clecom group, and for the 28inch widescreen tv it was 70p each week, for (as near as i could tell) a full year - 52 weeks. now work that out it comes to £220, to borrow a tv for one year. You could just as well buy the same tv and keep it, for roughly the same price. have a look at kelkoo.co.uk and you'll see yourself. I advise people do research about the alternatives before handing over money to those busters!

p.s does anyone else dislike their landlord? i just dont trust ours atall! i get the impression he'll try and bugger us out of our deposits at the end of the year, but i'll be on the ball and see to it he doesn't have any reasons to!
marinemike
i just sorted out my house of 6, and we were given a little info pack about this clecom group, and for the 28inch widescreen tv it was 70p each week, for (as near as i could tell) a full year - 52 weeks. now work that out it comes to £220, to borrow a tv for one year. You could just as well buy the same tv and keep it, for roughly the same price. have a look at kelkoo.co.uk and you'll see yourself. I advise people do research about the alternatives before handing over money to those busters!

p.s does anyone else dislike their landlord? i just dont trust ours atall! i get the impression he'll try and bugger us out of our deposits at the end of the year, but i'll be on the ball and see to it he doesn't have any reasons to!

Yeah, it's the same as boxclever, granada rentals etc if you are going to throw your money away on a tv etc :wink: However, if you compare the prices for telephone, gas, internet, electricity, at least when we signed up, the prices and packages were *identical* (severn trent for utilities, telewest for bb/phone) as for the independent companies, hence my pondering that theymust get commission.

We just have a small 17" LCD tv in the living room and a 14" portable in the dining room :smile: They are both big rooms too, but hey, we don't really need more. 28" tv and i would never get any work done, and i dont get enough done as it is... :biggrin:
davesstones
www.clecomsoftware.com

1mbit telewest internet
all the water we can use
all the gas we can use

DOes it work out cheeper than paying them all separate? We're already paying £63 a week rent :s-smilie:
pixiepeep
DOes it work out cheeper than paying them all separate? We're already paying £63 a week rent :s-smilie:

£63? best be a damn nice house, we pay £52 a week here...

It works out almost identical i think, the one main advantage is that we pay bulk for electricity and gas, so can basically whore its use (environmentalists can go suck a lemon). If we went straight to npower or wahtever it would be different...
davesstones

It works out almost identical i think, the one main advantage is that we pay bulk for electricity and gas, so can basically whore its use (environmentalists can go suck a lemon). If we went straight to npower or wahtever it would be different...
All the houses seem to have gone up in rent this year! it's hard to find any below £55.. grrrr... :mad:
Reply 17
Thanks dave, just can't rep you enough these days.
davesstones

It's a beaut of a house :biggrin: All just done up, 5 gorgeous bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, garden, and a fab landlord too :smile: He dropped the price down from £70 too :p: We thought he might have been kidding to push us into getting it, but the agency we had to sign with thought it was still going for £70 :p: All wi-fi set up as well :biggrin: It rocks :biggrin:

We're seriously looking at clemcom atm. Is there any way to get the prices for the last few months? On the site it only goes up to 9 months, and we're trying to figure out an average price.

Bex x
go to http://clecomsoftware.com/nhsprices/default.asp

it has a dropdown for monthly/weekly prices, and how many months you want to use them for.