The Student Room Group

Wokingham: Muslim Taxi Driver Refuses to take Woman with Terminal Cancer to Pub

A woman with terminal cancer was refused a taxi ride to a Wokingham pub on her birthday because the driver said it was against his religion to take her somewhere that sells alcohol.

Sarah McNaughton, 63, and her husband William, booked a taxi with local firm Prestige Cars to take them to The Gig House in The Plaza on Tuesday August 30.

But when the car arrived the driver informed them he would not be able to take them because the venue serves alcohol and it contradicts his Islamic faith.

Mr McNaughton said: “I’m not a racist man by any means. But it means that guy is driving a taxi and he cannot pick anyone up from supermarkets, restaurants and shops because they all sell alcohol. I have never heard of this before. It’s not as if I asked him in for a drink.”

http://www.getwokingham.co.uk/news/s/2099700_woman_is_refused_taxi_ride_over_drivers_religion

If its against your religion then why did you become a taxi driver.
This Taxi driver should have lost his job, this is Britain not a middle eastern bazaar

Scroll to see replies

A bit strange, most of the Muslims I know will go to places that serve alcohol, they just don't drink it.

Of course, he can do what he likes, he loses the money, he doesn't have to take passengers...but an odd interpretation IMO.

Although if the firm decide to take action against him, I think that's valid for them to do.
Seems like internal mismanagement. It looks like the firm was aware of the particular cab drivers refusal to drive people to locations like that but sent him anyway and the confusion wasn't discovered until he got to the door.

If they hired him on the terms he wouldn't take people to pubs then it's hardly his fault they sent him to a fare involving one.
Reply 3
If this man takes his religion that seriously, he is going to have a lot of problems working as a taxi driver.

Oh and a dislike how the article needs too inform us that the women has terminal cancer, it seems rather irrelevant.
(edited 12 years ago)
That is a bit silly but I wonder why people keep picking these one off incidents and putting them here on TSR. Yes I agree that he did the wrong thing as at the end of the day what people do right or wrong is their business and he should have done his job: Drop them off from A to B, I wouldn't stop donating blood just on the basis that 'that person may then go onto to do blah blah bad stuff'.

But 'OOH LOOK HE'S A MUSLIM AND THEY'RE ALL AS MENTAL' is all I see when I read these.
What a muppet. Why is he even working as a taxi driver? Especially outside of London, taxis just seem to be for two things - getting to/from station/airport and getting to/from booze-filled nights out. The taxi drivers in Leicester (huge number of Muslims included in that figure) especially seem to rely on the latter.
(edited 12 years ago)
I don't see what the fact she has 'terminal cancer' has to do with it, it just detracts from the core of the problem unnecessarily and attempts to drum up some sympathy for this issue when it context it doesn't really have much to do with it.

With that aside, what a stupid driver. He has no business (unless illegal I suppose) monitoring where people go and judging them for it. I fail to see how he can justify not taking these people to the pub when he has no idea whether he's taken others to places that may be even more repellent to him.

Unless he's planning on CRB checking all his passengers and asking for a detailed background of their life story I don't see how he's going to make sure every trip he makes complies with his morals.

I agree he has a right to refuse to provide a service ( why offer it then?!) but then he should take his moral superiority and apply it to all aspects of his work, which would probably mean he'd end up jobless as you'd never really know someone's true intention.

Also why is he only targeting alcohol?! Are there not other vices that Islam doesn't agree with...? Seems a bit like a pick and mix.

Edit: If the company knew about it before hand, then they should have asked for the customer's destination in advance and not sent out this specific man!

End rant. ( I feel like I should add I'm a Muslim before I'm accused of being ignorant or something)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
The problem with multiculturalism and the religious. Why can't he just not drink and leave it at that? Why does he have to be so absurd that he won't drive someone else to a pub? He's a taxi driver ffs. Total encapsulation of the failure of multiculturalism. You are in Britian now, get us.
Reply 8
and? I'm sure he wasn't like, "mwahahaha you have cancer and you shan't go to the pub, I truly am the antichrist". He probably politely refused and gave his reason(s). Unless the woman was going to die in the time it took for another cab to come, she has no reason to be peeved.
Title's a bit misleading because you make it sound as if he refused due to her cancer. And what does it matter that she has cancer? Because she has it - it makes the fact that he refused to take her to the pub a whole load worse? No - not really.

Anyways, I agree that if your a taxi driver it's your job to take people places. Regardless where they are going, even if it is to the pub. It might be against your religion - but it's not like he was gonna go inside. Instead he's trying to push his religious beliefs on others.

I hate it when people do that.
Reply 10
I don't really see how the cancer part is relevant, but the fact he wouldn't take them there at all is simply ridiculous. you don't get a job taking people places if there are places you can't go
what a stupid man.
what a sicko.

whats it to you! where in the Quran does it say something along the lines of "it's not right for you to drive people to places that sell alcohol"
if something like this does exist i really would like some kind of explanation to clear me up.

where does this confidence come from? i hope he got sacked.
Reply 12
Why does the cancer matter? Victimising the driver even more tbh.
Original post by Organised=Chaos
A bit strange, most of the Muslims I know will go to places that serve alcohol, they just don't drink it.

Of course, he can do what he likes, he loses the money, he doesn't have to take passengers...but an odd interpretation IMO.

Although if the firm decide to take action against him, I think that's valid for them to do.

He doesn't loose money, the firm does, he gets paid a fixed salary. It's bang out of order imo, the fact the woman has terminal cancer is irrelevant. He can be against alcohol if he wants, but why press his views on others? He works for a taxi company, not a forum for religious views.
Original post by ratrabbit
and? I'm sure he wasn't like, "mwahahaha you have cancer and you shan't go to the pub, I truly am the antichrist". He probably politely refused and gave his reason(s). Unless the woman was going to die in the time it took for another cab to come, she has no reason to be peeved.

If I arranged for a taxi to pick me up and take me somewhere on my birthday then the taxi driver turned up and refused to take me then I would be pretty peeved.
The taxi company wasted her time :colonhash:
Reply 15
Original post by bombdatumbi
Title's a bit misleading because you make it sound as if he refused due to her cancer. And what does it matter that she has cancer? Because she has it - it makes the fact that he refused to take her to the pub a whole load worse? No - not really.

Anyways, I agree that if your a taxi driver it's your job to take people places. Regardless where they are going, even if it is to the pub. It might be against your religion - but it's not like he was gonna go inside. Instead he's trying to push his religious beliefs on others.

I hate it when people do that.

How on earth did he "try and push his beliefs on her"? He didn't initiate a sermon, nor did he reprimand what he perceived as her amorality.

It might be against his religion

What do you think is more important to this man? Saving his customer's feelings or saving his soul and may other things besides?
It's not hard to understand.
Original post by rugbyladosc
He doesn't loose money, the firm does, he gets paid a fixed salary. It's bang out of order imo, the fact the woman has terminal cancer is irrelevant. He can be against alcohol if he wants, but why press his views on others? He works for a taxi company, not a forum for religious views.

Its for the firm to deal with him, if they knew and accepted his "special needs" then its their fault for sending him out, if they didn't then they can take whatever action against him they want.
Reply 17
Original post by Darkphilosopher
If I arranged for a taxi to pick me up and take me somewhere on my birthday then the taxi driver turned up and refused to take me then I would be pretty peeved.
The taxi company wasted her time :colonhash:

Clearly an unreasonable person would be peeved, but if you apply a of context to the situation you can see why he refused. There's a case for it even being a benign act on his part, tough love and less hellfire and whatnot...
Original post by Moh.1
He did the right thing, May Allah bless him and guide those who are dealing in anyway with the abomination of alcohol (for drinking of course, scientific purposes are fine)

It's for idiots like you that other, open-minded, conscious, tolerant and tolerable Muslims are being persecuted. If your opinion is that your way is infallible and correct with any variations being wrong and evil then please: keep them to your f-ing self!
Reply 19
I am baffled as to what this Taxi Driver is doing here in Britain ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending