The Student Room Group

Quiet guys - how to approach you?!

Yeah so basically there's a guy in my art class (this is in high school, btw) who isn't particularly cute - more than one girl has described him as "generic" or "okay" - but he has a thoughtful manner about him and long story short I have a crush on him.

How on earth do I approach him? He talks to ONE boy in art class, he sits by himself at lunch, and he's only said two words to me, when I asked him about an assignment.

Obviously all "quiet"/antisocial/introverted boys aren't the same, but would you be alarmed if a girl tried to approach you? I've tried to make eye contact with him or smile at him in the hallways, but he's like...in his own world or something. Totally uninterested :frown:

So...if you're quiet or shy in school, would you think it creepy for a girl to try and talk to you? :smile:

(Oh and a few boys have told me I'm pretty, if that changes anything)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous

(Oh and a few boys have told me I'm pretty, if that changes anything)

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool ok,im going to sleeep now.
Have a short conversation then ask him for his number. No one will have probably done this before to him. If you have his number you can text him and he'll be more confident and will have more time to think about his answer. He sounds EXACTLY like me when i was his age.
Reply 3
Original post by RoadRap
looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool ok,im going to sleeep now.

I think you should.
Keep smiling at him, whenever you see him just don't stop smiling and don't lose eye contact.

On a serious note, approach him. If he's an introvert he's probably uncomfortable with being too close to a girl but if you persist, he should open up to you. Best of luck.

BAYYYYUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!
Reply 5
Original post by deltabomber
Have a short conversation then ask him for his number. No one will have probably done this before to him. If you have his number you can text him and he'll be more confident and will have more time to think about his answer. He sounds EXACTLY like me when i was his age.

But were you bordering on anti-social? I'd be a bit more confident if he was just, you know, shy, but he doesn't even seem interested. I've talked to people at lunch who apparently asked them to sit with them because they felt bad for him sitting all alone - he either said "No" coldly or entirely ignored them.

Think he'd still be open to my approaches? Perhaps he just waved off those other kids out of pride, I'd understand that. And thanks for any advice, I know you don't know me or this boy but I appreciate it.
This lad sounds almost exactly like me a few years ago. If you just go up to him and ask for his number having never spoken before, he may think you're taking the piss or just feel sorry for him. Hence being rejected out of pride rather than simply being antisocial.

I'll repeat the advice of the dude a few posts up. Smile if you walk past him or see him looking at you and keep persisting. Just start by talking about the subject or something. He'll struggle to make eye contact and give one word answers but once he's comfortable around you, you can go from there, get his number etc. Don't expect this to happen quickly as you're probably the first girl to show any interest in him :rolleyes:

One girl did exactly that with me, at first i'd barely make eye contact with her never mind talk! Yet she persisted, i finally realised she liked me and soon enough she was my first girlfriend. She completely brought me out of my shell.
Look at it this way...if it doesnt work out, whos he gonna tell? I'd say i was bordering on anti-social. He probably feels unloved most of the time or has some reason he doesnt want to get close to people at school. For instance i didnt want people to know about my homelife so i kept friendships to within school boundaries...not the best idea i've ever had.
Reply 8
Why don't you add him on facebook and chat to him when he's online?
Reply 9
Original post by HJV
Why don't you add him on facebook and chat to him when he's online?

He doesn't appear to exist on Facebook :tongue:
Reply 10
This lad sounds almost exactly like me a few years ago. If you just go up to him and ask for his number having never spoken before, he may think you're taking the piss or just feel sorry for him. Hence being rejected out of pride rather than simply being antisocial.

I'll repeat the advice of the dude a few posts up. Smile if you walk past him or see him looking at you and keep persisting. Just start by talking about the subject or something. He'll struggle to make eye contact and give one word answers but once he's comfortable around you, you can go from there, get his number etc. Don't expect this to happen quickly as you're probably the first girl to show any interest in him :rolleyes:

One girl did exactly that with me, at first i'd barely make eye contact with her never mind talk! Yet she persisted, i finally realised she liked me and soon enough she was my first girlfriend. She completely brought me out of my shell.

Alright, I'll do that. Thanks for sharing!
You slipped up there with the anon. Simply put, just sit down and have a chat, chances are he will be quiet, not have half a clue about what to say. Just keep chatting even if for a few mins, stay churpy. Give him your number on a bit of paper.

The worse that can happen is that nothing happens. Nothing lost, nothing gained.

By involving texting it may add that level of detachment he needs. Then take it from there.
Reply 12
Original post by Sam Walters
You slipped up there with the anon. Simply put, just sit down and have a chat, chances are he will be quiet, not have half a clue about what to say. Just keep chatting even if for a few mins, stay churpy. Give him your number on a bit of paper.

The worse that can happen is that nothing happens. Nothing lost, nothing gained.

By involving texting it may add that level of detachment he needs. Then take it from there.

Haha I know. It's alright though, not too bothered.

This is the bit I'm lost on - can you really just give someone your number like that? It always happens naturally, like saying "We should hang out," and "Yeah, give me your number". Am I supposed to just say a few words to him and then say "Here's my number, btw."??
lol ...hes the one whos supposed to be shy
Reply 14
lol ...hes the one whos supposed to be shy

Good point, but I can't help being nervous around someone I've got a crush on. And no, I've never approached a guy before :redface:
First of all...be prepared to be rejected. Lifes full of risks and not taking any of them is the biggest risk of all. Think about what your going to say to start the conversation, compliment him about something...maybe his hair or shoes, maybe touch his arm briefly and just say,
" Hey listen, do you want my mobile number, i dont think i have it..."
EDIT; and dont mess it up like i have above
(edited 12 years ago)
Haha I know. It's alright though, not too bothered.

This is the bit I'm lost on - can you really just give someone your number like that? It always happens naturally, like saying "We should hang out," and "Yeah, give me your number". Am I supposed to just say a few words to him and then say "Here's my number, btw."??

This is for you. Ive written down my number on napkins in restaurants and given it to waitresses. 3/4 of the time it works.
Reply 17
Yeah so basically there's a guy in my art class (this is in high school, btw) who isn't particularly cute - more than one girl has described him as "generic" or "okay" - but he has a thoughtful manner about him and long story short I have a crush on him.
)

You have a crush on a guy that is known as ''Okay or generic.'' Oh come on, no wonder hes quiet - he has no confidence. It doesn't matter if he LOOKS okay. I know some fat fugly dudes that get beach babes and sexy models simply because of good communication and confidence. So if he sits alone at lunch, go chat to him.

EASYYY
Reply 18
Original post by Sam Walters
This is for you. Ive written down my number on napkins in restaurants and given it to waitresses. 3/4 of the time it works.

First of all...be prepared to be rejected. Lifes full of risks and not taking any of them is the biggest risk of all. Think about what your going to say to start the conversation, compliment him about something...maybe his hair or shoes, maybe touch his arm briefly and just say,
" Hey listen, do you want my mobile number, i dont think i have it..."
EDIT; and dont mess it up like i have above

Alright, well I'm going to go for it tomorrow. Not sure how, but I'm going to approach him somehow.
Reply 19
Best way to 'break the ice' is by chatting about something you have in common. In your case it's your art. Just ask about the homework or along those lines. I'm sure he'll reply to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending