The Student Room Group

M1 and S1......

difference between M1 and S1 for a level maths?
which is easier, if so..how much easier?
S1 is easier to pick up but boring. M1 is slightly more challenging but interesting.
Reply 2
M1 is a lot like alevel/gcse physics. Lot of formula to learn. If you do physics I would advise doing m1 :smile:
Reply 3
Wha other subjects are you doing? If you are doing physics then definitely M1. It varies per person, I personally found S1 way harder and M1 pretty easy, but practically everyone else I spoke to found it the other way round.
Reply 4
M1 is good for people who like physics and S1 is all statistics. Everyone says M1 is easier but i found S1 easier (S1 year 12 got a C - M1 in year 13 got an E) although I didn't really turn up to maths lessons in year 13 and I had a much better teacher in year 12 which may have impacted my grade...

M1 seemed like a piece of piss at the start but when push came to shove the questions confused the hell out of me!
S1 is incredibly easy - just a few formulae you need to rote learn and that's pretty much your grade sorted. It is incredibly dull though.
M1 is more tricky and can be a real pain at times, as it requires actual problem solving - but you can engage with it a lot more and its far more interesting than S1
Reply 6
I would say that for most students, S1 is easier than M1 because the concepts are easier to understand. However, if you're the type of student expecting to get 90+ UMS on your Maths modules, M1 is probably easier to get a consistently higher score in because at that level it's about minimising silly mistakes, and S1 (and D1 for that matter) is very 'fiddly' - lots of lists of numbers where you can mess up.
Reply 7
For me, M1 was a lot more interesting, and a bit harder in terms of getting into the right routine and answering the questions.
Reply 8
It totally depends on person's interest. I find physics more interesting so I prefer M1.
Reply 9
Original post by hazal
difference between M1 and S1 for a level maths?
which is easier, if so..how much easier?

Hi
Your question has no answer to the first part and certainly doesnt have one for the second.
The post above this is about as accurate as you will get. The "I think" anecdotal accounts are not going to confirm how you will do in either exam.

Its how you dial into the module.
Easy is subjective and asking how much easier is even more foggy.
Pick up both books, look at the topics and have a google for which ones may interest you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending