The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5700
Congrats Dancersmum, great news.

Hope everyone had a good long weekend. For me it was a nice chance not to be obsessively checking my e-mails (thought that said I was still keeping an eye on here just in case!). Surely Para offers have to start soon?

Meanwhile I have heard nothing about props and could hear any day now about my funding for work (the decision was made last Tuesday but they haven't told us yet). I have a pseudo interview in Cambridge on Thursday so I'm madly preparing for that at the moment.
Reply 5701
Good luck Rafiki with your interview on Thursday and hope that funding allows you stay employed for a little longer!
Its been a long while for many so here's hoping its soon :smile:
Original post by 42RAFIKI

Hope everyone had a good long weekend. For me it was a nice chance not to be obsessively checking my e-mails (thought that said I was still keeping an eye on here just in case!). Surely Para offers have to start soon?

Meanwhile I have heard nothing about props and could hear any day now about my funding for work (the decision was made last Tuesday but they haven't told us yet). I have a pseudo interview in Cambridge on Thursday so I'm madly preparing for that at the moment.

Fingers crossed for your funding Rafiki and for your interview - and of course for props and paras! Have you checked on the props situation as I think Adelie's email went astray? Good luck with everything so you can get your life sorted!

Thanks Rafiki! I do agree with Pinnerite that it might be worth phoning them about the props if you haven't heard. The first meeting is on Thursday early evening ... It would be so good if you were there too!
Reply 5704
Original post by Dancersmum
Thanks Rafiki! I do agree with Pinnerite that it might be worth phoning them about the props if you haven't heard. The first meeting is on Thursday early evening ... It would be so good if you were there too!

Absolutely ! I was lost in the system so you might well be also, would be lovely to see you on Thursday.
Reply 5705
Have you received information about the Thursday meeting yet?

I've only had the first email congratulating me on getting into Staging with a mention of meeting on Thursday :/
Reply 5706
Original post by bluang3l

I've only had the first email congratulating me on getting into Staging with a mention of meeting on Thursday :/

No, as yet no details unless there is an e-mail waiting for me at home.
Original post by bluang3l

I've had one, it's 5 30 'til 9 00 Thurs. I think each department (staging, casting, props etc) is getting to things slightly differently but that is the meeting for all of us.

Good luck for Thursday and I hope they can find some more money to keep you in work. You should hear soon about paras and props - this week hopefully!
Cello008, Lara5, Fyrecracker, Galactica, Cinnamon ..... thinking of you during this impossible wait - anyone thought of 'phoning?
So envious of all you props people going to this Thursday's meeting - you'll get lots of tantalising inside info that you will have keep completely to yourselves! Oooo ..... :listen::listen::listen::listen::listen::listen::listen::listen::listen::listen::listen::listen::banned::banned::banned::banned:
I did about 3 weeks ago but they didn't talk to me specifically about my application just that as a RESERVE they would still like me on board for the time being, just in case something comes up/someone drops out or whatever. That's the best answer they could give me at the time so i doubt if the position has changed much for any RESERVES like me. They did assure me we'd still be in the system in the meantime, not forgotten about etc.

Can't believe that no-one who auditioned for paras. has heard yet either and that there are still a few folks from the November 2011 original round of auditions who still do not have any sort of feedback on their application although i'm guessing by now they have ended up on the RESERVES list with the rest of use (no proof of that of course but that's my honest "hunch" about it).

So props rehearsals/meetings start THIS THURSDAY day eh? (well exciting for those involved and I wish you good luck).
Well. My first rehearsal / orientation is exactly a fortnight today but no Cast Update email. I take it that those of us who haven't received any further updates can just "turn up" then?
Reply 5713
Thanks for the good wishes everyone. Regarding work I'm very conflicted because what's best for my career is different from what's best for husband's career and who knows what's best for our sanity. Plus there's all my other commitments and social life (husband doesn't have any of those!). It's a real mess. I suppose the silver lining is that either way one of us might be happy!

As for Olympic stuff, even if they let me I won't make that Thursday meeting because of my pseudo interview (no position available but there could be if they like me). I guess I'll try and figure out who to e-mail if I don't hear by the end of the week. I did leave it very late to apply so perhaps they have enough now or had a last minute surge and haven't got round to everyone yet.

Pleas hurry Para verdicts!
Reply 5714
Original post by Mum of Students
Cello008, Lara5, Fyrecracker, Galactica, Cinnamon ..... thinking of you during this impossible wait - anyone thought of 'phoning?

Aww thanks it means a lot!

I did phone a few days ago and was told not to give up hope as creative decisions were still being made and changed ....soooo who indeed knows...in the meantime dum de dum de dum..twiddle twiddle
Original post by Dancerwoman
Well. My first rehearsal / orientation is exactly a fortnight today but no Cast Update email. I take it that those of us who haven't received any further updates can just "turn up" then?

I think you'll probably hear something about a week before. I've got my first rehearsal in a few days and got a 'one week to go' email at the end of last week saying I'd receive a full instructional email after Easter - I'm presuming it'll arrive sometime soon....
Original post by Dancerwoman

I haven't heard a thing either, and think you're in 63A with me as far as I can remember?!! Glad we're both in the same boat! Wish they'd give us some more info about the first rehearsal though... I'm beginning to wonder what we need to take/wear etc!
Who would have thought back in November that some people would still be waiting to hear five months later! I really hope there will be good news very soon for all not-heards, reserves, stagers/proppers/etc.

A friend of mine pulled out of the rehearsal volunteer team recently, as the commitment was a bit too high, and she wouldn't even have had a role during the actual ceremonies. Plus, she already has a volunteer position at the Control Centre of TfL's Surface Transport Team or something along these lines. Amazing how many volunteer opportunities there are!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by aspire_dance
I haven't heard a thing either, and think you're in 63A with me as far as I can remember?!! Glad we're both in the same boat! Wish they'd give us some more info about the first rehearsal though... I'm beginning to wonder what we need to take/wear etc!

Yep. Trying to play it cool but as the date gets nearer and no email.....

In relation to attire, I believe that we'd need to wear the same as what we wore at the auditions. I think it will be:-

1. signing in and introduction from the Casting Team for the Segment.

2. further info as to WHAT we will be doing

3. wouldn't be surprised if we again are split into different groups within the same segment. These will most probably help them to determine who goes where on the night.

4. pictures / drawings of the costumes we'll be wearing (wouldn't be surprised if there are several different costumes within the same segment, depending on where and what we'll be doing.

5. a demo of the choreo we'd be doing

6. confirmation of all the venues we'll be rehearsing in

7. several "run throughs" of our dance / performance choreo (probably in stages)

8. issue of Oyster cards (with possible photocards to accompany them?)

9. reminder of future rehearsal dates and reiterating the importance of attendance

10. contact details of Casting Team

11. Sign out.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of what we are doing is incorporated in the Para Olympics closing.....I've literally been studying this YouTube vid several times to get some kind of indication as to what we'd be doing : The dance and character role, could be something like this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvS2WoQd1og

Fast forward to 7:00....
if you want to view the London 2012 montage)

Fast forward to 8.30....
for the view of the dancers and what they're wearing - OK, I believe they are a mixture of ballet, contemporary and hip hop dancers but wouldn't be surprised if what we're doing is not too far removed from this)

Fast forward to 11:05 onwards....
for the different styles of dance done by the dancers do

It sends me shivers of excitement to think that there's high chance we'll be performing to music played by the London Symphony Orchestra (who also provided the music in this clip!)

When I spoke to Casting on the phone recently, the lady was adamant that we will DEFINITELY get an email prior to the date, so let's see.
Oh yes, almost forgot. One thing they'll probably repeat again and again at the rehearsals would be the importance of keeping what goes on at rehearsals "under wraps". Wouldn't be surprised if we get to sign another confidentiality agreement (incorporating Facebook and twitter).

Latest