The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by timefortea
Ohhh! How much fun was that chatting to Passport Control? Normally its all very offocial and formal! We're going away the week after next, I'll hope for a similar welcome home!

He started off being chatty because of the couple in front of me. They didn't speak English, so he spent a bit of time explaining that they were in the wrong queue and had to fill out some form. When it was my turn he told me they had handed him a note (I will not say what was on the note, but it was very sweet!) and then he scanned my passport and............... He was very nice, as you say normally it is all very formal. I hope you have a lovely welcome home.
LOL!!!!

CEREMONIES SEGMENT 63A CLOSING CHECK YOUR EMAIL INBOX NOW!!!!

THE CAST UPDATES ARE BEING SENT OUT AND MINE'S JUST ARRIVED!!!

EITHER THEY WERE PSYCHIC OR MAY HAVE BEEN LURKING IN THE SHADOWS ON THIS FORUM AFTER I TYPED UP ABOVE POST BECAUSE THEY'VE ISSUED A CAST OFFER UPDATE.

Goes to show, that we have to be careful what we say on here
I recieved exactly 1 in two months. And that was the one two weeks ago saying it would be another two weeks.

Olympic Guys - If you are reading this. Its not too late....

It's pretty easy to do. A competent web developer could set up a decent drupal site in a couple of days

Start up a site for the Volunteers NOW. Rehearsals start mainly in May, so it would be a good way of building buzz and fostering a community spirit.
Original post by Flakeydom
Nope - you're in the other list as a November 'reserve'

Thank you! It's mainly audition dates, what type of audition it was and then what your outcome was and when you found out. It's useful for setting people's minds at ease when you panic that you are the only person on the planet who doesn't know yet. At least, that's why I started it way back around 20 Jan!

Someone mentioned going to Paris in late January and passport control saying something to them. No-one said anything when I came back from Austria in early Feb (although my offer had only come through a few days beforehand so might not have processed). I'm not sure whether that freaks me out privacy wise or not... :s-smilie:

I suspect they're not meant to actually say anything.
I know what you mean with regards to privacy, so much personal data is stored these days.
Original post by Ropey1
Mandy - hope to see you here. There are hundreds of girls and no sign of being let in! I think I'm half way along!

My experience at the weekend, as well, suggests the quest for 'men with rhythm' was only partially successful. But I think it's great we're going to have so many women taking part - a big girlie Olympics - and the men who are involved should have a fun time.
Original post by Pinnerite
Someone had posted the same so when I returned from holiday in February I deliberately asked at passport contro whether it said I was in the Olympics and they sai there was nothing to that effect so I was rather disappointed!:frown:

Maybe the security check hadn't been carried out yet. Also as I mentioned to Flakeydom, I'm not sure if they're really meant to say what they see on your passport.
Original post by granta
Hey there! This happened to me about 6 weeks ago coming home through Heathrow! It's been the friendliest welcome I've ever had at Passport Control (I couldn't stop grinning either!!). They said my passport showed that it had undergoing "extensive security checks" whatever that means. Quite scary to think how much information your passport holds....

Fab!! It was definitely my friendliest welcome home.
Original post by Caroline27
My experience at the weekend, as well, suggests the quest for 'men with rhythm' was only partially successful. But I think it's great we're going to have so many women taking part - a big girlie Olympics - and the men who are involved should have a fun time.

I have a feeling though that the men will be "quarantined" to a different part of the site to save distraction...

I reckon it could end up being like a US Summer Camp, where the guys have to sneak out of their training session to "break into" the girls section.

Mind you, us guys (myself included) are VERY deep and Olympic spirited. So I am sure I speak for all of us when I say that "meeting women" never crossed our sainted minds.

I for one LIVE for lifting stuff and picking up litter. That is why I am a proud 44-FOPPER.

Foppers Unite! Foppers Forever! etc
Reply 6368
Original post by Dancerwoman
LOL!!!!

EITHER THEY WERE PSYCHIC OR MAY HAVE BEEN LURKING IN THE SHADOWS ON THIS FORUM AFTER I TYPED UP ABOVE POST BECAUSE THEY'VE ISSUED A CAST OFFER UPDATE.

wow!!!! great news, at last!!!!!! wooohooooo :smile: :smile:
Original post by tinydancersmum
Hi.Yes we were sitting on the left.
I'm dark haired and definitely not ballet shaped,although the security guard at the gate did ask if we were both being fitted- bless him HeHe!!
We were sitting with two of the other under 18's that we know and their mums.All the under 18's we met or knew at the audition have places. We weren't surprised either that it's Freeds, but glad to hear they're giving everyone rehearsal shoes. Very exciting - can't wait to see it on the night (hopefully chaperones will be parked somewhere we can see a TV) or later, as tiny dancers dad will be taping it at home.

See u in May :biggrin:

Yeah I saw u lol , I was sitting oppersite, had a yellow jumper on

Yep see u in may xxx
Original post by abs0n
That was me :smile: Nice to know someone else is in the same situation! Is your friend on this forum?

I think there are probably quite a few people in the same situation, so you're in good company. No, she isn't on the forum...........at least I don't think she is.
Some interesting ceremony facts here

I love number 5

So if our reserves don't make it, it is obviously because you are too perfect!

Ramshackle idiosyncrasy's fine by me!
Original post by Pinnerite
Well it looks Mum of Students if you were right after all. :biggrin: Now you have to predict what the other codes mean (in confidence of course)! Feeling somewhat ordinary having just the A tag unlike lots of you guys, especially those in the paras - obviously destined to be part of the masses and not a starring role.....!

See we are predicted to get 27 gold medals - hmmm.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/17751399

Think I've pretty much cracked segment 44 Pinnerite!
:smartass:
Reply 6373
Really gutted that I didn't hear today. Would have been very poetic and appropriate to hear with 100 days to go. I guess tomorrow will be another rollercoaster of e-mail checking.
Original post by Caroline27

Funny you should say that. I decided yesterday that the piece of information missing on the monster spreadsheet™ was gender - so I did a quick :wink: search of the forum, added it where I could and I've just finished playing around with it

So... from the November auditions, we had 171 auditionees post here
119 were women (70%), 32 were men (19%) and 20 (12%) are unknown (on TSR at least!)
Of the 119 women, 63% got Olympic offers, 6% got Para ones, 18% are reserves and 12% we don't know about
Of the 32 men, 78% got Olympic offers, 3% are reserves, 4% we don't know about
Of the unknown, 55% got Olympics, 20% are reserves and 25% we don't know about

After the 'men with rhythm call' the proportions are different in February. We have 77 Feb auditionees post here. 36 are women (47%), 35 are men (45%) and 7 (8%) are unknown.
But the %'s really change when you look at results especially for women (bear in mind that we have no reserves yet for Feb so the 'don't knows' are bigger)
Of the 36 women, 19% got Olympic offers, 22% got Para ones and 58% we don't know about yet
Of the 35 men, 51% got Olympic offers, 6% got Paras and 43% we don't know about yet
Of the unknown, 3% got Olympics, 1% got Paras and 50% we don't know about
Funny you should say that. I decided yesterday that the piece of information missing on the monster spreadsheet™ was gender - so I did a quick :wink: search of the forum, added it where I could and I've just finished playing around with it

So... from the November auditions, we had 171 auditionees post here
119 were women (70%), 32 were men (19%) and 20 (12%) are unknown (on TSR at least!)
Of the 119 women, 63% got Olympic offers, 6% got Para ones, 18% are reserves and 12% we don't know about
Of the 32 men, 78% got Olympic offers, 3% are reserves, 4% we don't know about
Of the unknown, 55% got Olympics, 20% are reserves and 25% we don't know about

After the 'men with rhythm call' the proportions are different in February. We have 77 Feb auditionees post here. 36 are women (47%), 35 are men (45%) and 7 (8%) are unknown.
But the %'s really change when you look at results especially for women (bear in mind that we have no reserves yet for Feb so the 'don't knows' are bigger)
Of the 36 women, 19% got Olympic offers, 22% got Para ones and 58% we don't know about yet
Of the 35 men, 51% got Olympic offers, 6% got Paras and 43% we don't know about yet
Of the unknown, 3% got Olympics, 1% got Paras and 50% we don't know about

Wow fascinating figures Flakeydom/ Obviously you were bored with no offers coming in! Off to watch the Olympics programme now on BBC!!
Original post by Dancerwoman
LOL!!!!

Woo hoo at long last the update email arrived! (Was just about to start my gymnastics session and 'ping' goes my phone!) my heart still does a mini flip when I see who it's from even though I know I'm in etc!

Yet again I haven't got the damn attachment with the revised rehearsal schedule - either they keep forgetting to send it to me or it doesn't like macs and ipads!

Dancerwoman do we have any changes of rehearsals??
Reply 6377
Ah Danny Boyle on BBC documentary re ceremonies: "people really want to be involved, even if it's just carrying a stick". I wonder if that's what we will be doing
Original post by aspire_dance
Yet again I haven't got the damn attachment with the revised rehearsal schedule - either they keep forgetting to send it to me or it doesn't like macs and ipads!

I don't think it likes Macs and iPad/iPhones; I've always had to go to Gmail on the web to retrieve attachments from casting.
Original post by hutsulka
Ah Danny Boyle on BBC documentary re ceremonies: "people really want to be involved, even if it's just carrying a stick". I wonder if that's what we will be doing

Just remember not to wave at your Mum! :tongue: