The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6900
I'm interested in knowing whether anyone has actually received a straight "No" answer from the auditions? I've noticed that it has been mentioned but nobody on the forum has received that specific response.
Oh yes - searching for your segment number will show you others to meet up pre-rehearsal. Or follow previous bods in wearing a pink T and a team GB band and looking out for one another
Reply 6902
Original post by Mandy_Panda
to my knowledge we haven't stated anywhere public any details of dance routines and costumes, except there are dance routines and costumes, which i'm pretty sure everyone knows already? we know what we are and aren't allowed to say, we're pretty careful :smile:

agree - no one is giving any detail other than mention dance very loosely. The BBC documentary last week already detailed the 2 main dance sequences of the Opening ceremony so that is in the public domain. Costume wise - absolutely no detail given, the pineapple reference has been a standing joke on this site since the very early pages - is not a reference to anything 'actual'.

regarding identifying people - private messaging is one way to arrange meet up with others in your bit, that is what some of us did.:smile:
Original post by Flakeydom
I think we are all aware of that and since the penalty would be losing your place, I think everyone will be very very careful. Any information given so far is very very generic - that it will look spectacular, that there are several different routines (no detail to style, length or numbers) and there are costumes (not a surprise). The only specificity is on interesting footwear to dance in which could anything from flip-flops, platforms, stilettos, running spikes to banana boots so I don't think any details here will ruin the event.

flakey, I have to ask... What are banana boots?!

You missed wellies :wink:
Has the 1:1 rehearsal venue been confirmed yet? If so can someone give me a hint please as I need to book travel and accommodation!

Thanks
Original post by Flakeydom
Oh yes - searching for your segment number will show you others to meet up pre-rehearsal. Or follow previous bods in wearing a pink T and a team GB band and looking out for one another

For those newbies, the team GB band is a rather nice red and blue cord bracelet with a silver tag saying 'Team GB' sold by Links - about £20- which many of us have treated ourselves to on gaining a place. So if you have one - wear it to rehearsals with pride!

And as Flakeydom has said the Search this Thread tool top right is very useful in eking out info from this site - e.g those with same segment no., cast phone number etc etc.
Reply 6906
Original post by THRILLEDNURSE
do we actually get to stay on the stadium field throughout, or do you think once you have done your bit (87A) which is an opening sequence we will have to leave?

While we'd all hope that we get to stay throughout, I think we have to resign ourselves to expecting that most of us will be in there for only our segment - so possibly just a few minutes.
Original post by Norfolk 'n' Good
Has the 1:1 rehearsal venue been confirmed yet? If so can someone give me a hint please as I need to book travel and accommodation!

Thanks

Although some of us have sleuthed out where it it is we are not prepared to say anything on this forum as there are security issues involved. However it is a little way further east out of London from our audition venue and within reach of the district line.
(edited 11 years ago)
Thanks - all sorted via Concord!!
Reply 6909
Original post by THRILLEDNURSE
Hi,

Although still got the walking on air feeling, just posted my acceptance letter by recorded delivery, I also feel very humbled to be opening in the Para's when you think of the struggles those atheletes have gone through, feel very honoured to be involved with this. Do you think there will be any top music acts? and do we actually get to stay on the stadium field throughout, or do you think once you have done your bit (87A) which is an opening sequence we will have to leave?

Would be nice if fellow boarders could have a way of identifying themselves.

Only thing I do not like on this forum is people giving away little details of routines and costumes, really think that should stop, will spoil it and I would not wish to be associated with it. We have to remember this forum is being read by people not involved with the Olympics and could easily become viral.

Whilst I agree with you on not giving any details of the ceremonies away, I don't think anyone has apart from generic comments, ie I am dancing (which we expect at ceremonies), going to be awesome sequence, etc. We are all very aware of the confidentiality and it is reiterated to you to keep it secret. We lucky few who met on our Forum Meet Up a few weeks ago PM each other, especially if we are in the same segment but different rehearsal dates so far, to discuss/ask for help and hopefully would never divulge anything specific on a public/open forum.:shh:

Hasn't been divulged but hoping that once we've done our bit we can either watch from the wings, so to speak, or maybe on monitors in the holding/changing area. Who knows though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6910
Anyone looking for cheap accommodation, 10 min walk from Olympic park......

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/newsandevents/summer-2012-campsites/lee-valley-campsite/

Need a tent :wink:
Original post by MsIs
Whilst I agree with you on not giving any details of the ceremonies away, I don't think anyone has apart from generic comments, ie I am dancing (which we expect at ceremonies), going to be awesome sequence, etc. We are all very aware of the confidentiality and it is reiterated to you to keep it secret. We lucky few who met on our Forum Meet Up a few weeks ago PM each other, especially if we are in the same segment but different rehearsal dates so far, to discuss/ask for help and hopefully would never divulge anything specific on a public/open forum.:shh:

Hasn't been divulged but hoping that once we've done our bit we can either watch from the wings, so to speak, or maybe on monitors in the holding/changing area. Who knows though.

I'm pretty sure i'm safe to tell you all that you have to leave after your segment :smile: due to logistics and sheer amount of people, Danny Boyle confirmed on our first rehearsal
After both rehearsals I've left on a real high. It really is quite special to do something with such a huge number of people and on such a massive scale. I was talking to my dance teacher and she's a bit jealous because in her professional career, although she's been in a lot of big professional stage shows, she's never had the opportunity to dance with anywhere near that number of performers. In a big West End show there might be 15 or 20 dancers in a cast so dancing with hundreds is really unique and once in a lifetime. Similarly my sister, who's done professional performing, has never had the opportunity to perform in front of anywhere near the number of people that will be in the 80,000 stadium. So if you've not started rehearsals you have something amazing to look forward to.

The other thing I wanted to add is that since rehearsals my respect for anyone who's a parent has multiplied. I spotted a few people sitting to the side who looked like mums/chaperones. No doubt they're going to be sitting through the incredibly long hours at every single rehearsal every week, watching performers go through the same moves over and over and over again, and sharing the environment with a huge number of sweaty, hot, 'fragrant' performers - and just to watch over their little darlings with nothing in it for themselves.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Caroline27
After both rehearsals I've left on a real high. It really is quite special to do something with such a huge number of people and on such a massive scale. I was talking to my dance teacher and she's a bit jealous because in her professional career, although she's been in a lot of big professional stage shows, she's never had the opportunity to dance with anywhere near that number of performers. In a big West End show there might be 15 or 20 dancers in a cast so dancing with hundreds is really unique and once in a lifetime. Similarly my sister, who's done professional performing, has never had the opportunity to perform in front of anywhere near the number of people that will be in the 80,000 stadium. So if you've not started rehearsals you have something amazing to look forward to.

The other thing I wanted to add is that since rehearsals my respect for anyone who's a parent has multiplied. I spotted a few people sitting to the side who looked like mums/chaperones. No doubt they're going to be sitting through the incredibly long hours at every single rehearsal every week, watching performers go through the same moves over and over and over again, and sharing the environment with a huge number of sweaty, hot, 'fragrant' performers - and just to watch over their little darlings with nothing in it for themselves.

oh, bless. I'm sure they're spurred on by pride :smile:
Reply 6914
I'm pretty sure i'm safe to tell you all that you have to leave after your segment :smile: due to logistics and sheer amount of people, Danny Boyle confirmed on our first rehearsal

Right, it'll be round to yours then??? (or the nearest pub).:beer:

As a chaperone and mum of 3 performers, I am sure that they are as excited as their children about it. I got into the auditioning originally because I was searching for the auditions in the hope that my eldest (ballet dancer) daughter could be in it, but she is sadly slightly too young. Having sat through 10 years of all sorts of different shows as mum and chaperone, I have loved the thrill of the shows, being a small part of them, and the comaraderie. Yes, Mandy Pandy, I'm sure they're all extremely proud of their children, as they should be, but also as mums, they're just prepared to do whatever it takes for them. It's all part of the job spec, and this bit is probably one of the highlights.
Original post by MsIs
Right, it'll be round to yours then??? (or the nearest pub).:beer:

haha, I was going to post straight after and say we'll need to find a pub with a tv nearby, but I got distracted by work!

From school nativity plays to performing at the Royal Albert Hall and everything in between, I agree with Dancersmum, it's part of the job and we love it!
flakey, I have to ask... What are banana boots?!

Billy Connolly had a pair years ago. Suspect they are hard to walk in let alone dance!

Oooh - another scouting mission to find an appropriate venue for early segments to watch? Some sections will be there til the end though. Assuming there are fireworks, I want to see them!
Reply 6919
haha, I was going to post straight after and say we'll need to find a pub with a tv nearby, but I got distracted by work!

:tongue: can think of a lot of things to get distracted by, but work!! :work: You should be dancing, yeh.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest