The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Drumbeat
happy birthday Mandy today.
Hope all the reserves here soon, remember the 51s have not started yet so any reserves may have a chance to get involved.

Indeed there is !

Meanwhile, I've got a busy few days ahead to keep me occupied this week whilst "waiting for the call".

Playing brass in a 2-hour concert on Sunday pm (in Godstone) and again at a craft fair on Bank Holiday monday pm (Morden Hall Park) with rehearsals coming up on Wednesday and Friday evenings, the latter with Paul Lovatt-Cooper our guest soloist, in preparation for our BIGGIST CONCERT OF THE YEAR on Saturday. Accompaniment rehearsals are going well though so should be a roaring success as usual.

So, casting, in your own time if you will (but not necessarily this week if you're still busy on other stuff right now) ..................:biggrin:
Original post by Aber_Stokie
Funnily I noticed the difference between my friend and family responses to undertudying and the cast response. My F&Fs have all been thrilled for me while the cast mainly looked at me with sadness in their eyes and said "awwwww" everytime I explained what the U on my bib meant. But I'm so happy to be there.

As long as you are happy to be there, taking part, albeit under those circumstances then that is, at this stage, all that matters and their sympathy may just be better placed elsewhere for now !
Original post by MsIs
DB was also at ours for a time (he is really good at coming to all the rehearsals it seems) -

Exactly what else has he got to do with his time right now (other than maybe eat, have the odd planning meeting and sleep !) :biggrin:

Seriously though ......... It is great that he is making his presence to prominent at rehearsal, showing an interest in what you're all doing etc. and even taking the time to chat to a lucky few volunteer performers about the experience. Comes across in the media as a very down to earth straight-talking Northern guy too (I like that in someone in authority, none of this "how dare you presume I might want to speak directly to you socially and away from addressing the masses").

Keep up the good work DB - you're doing absolutely fine !!
Original post by rocks99
Bearing in mind rehearsals 'proper' dont start until June for some of us (i.e., us FOPers have had our introduction, but don't reconvene until early June) , and allowing for the 2 missed rehearsals before you are relegated to reserves, I think current reserves can hold reasonable expectations of getting a call up right up to mid/late June.

Once we get into July, however, I reckon the cast will be pretty established and wouldn't expect much movement from then on.

I would have to agree with that prediction, would become somewhat impractical thereafter (for everyone concerned) for sure !
Original post by AlecSp
First 44C rehearsal yesterday - brilliant!

Slight drama when I'd lost track of time and realised I had less than 30 mins to get from Westminster to 3 Mills. Thankfully the queues meant that it wasn't a problem...

You won't let THAT happen again will you !
Going to my first rehearsal tomorrow, 9am at 3 Mills. Excited, but nervous how I'll get on trying to pick up the routine since I've already missed 3 rehearsals. Anybody else here going to be there?
Original post by Flakeydom

At the moment, it is more fashionable to be doubting and mocking. As one of the comments on that article says, it happens at every Games, even Sydney. And then most people have a great time... We are all just ahead of the curve

Sad but true ............ most people I've tried to talk to about it are not particularly interested (some feel aggrieved that they don't have tickets despite having applied), grudge the £s being spent, the disruption to London, think that the London Ambassadors programme is a clever way of GLA getting free labour out of "mugs" prepared to wear a daft uniform and not even get free admission to any Olympic events, and most certainly cannot understand why anyone would want to attend over 20 rehearsals at the old Ford plant in Dagenham for 4 hours at a time to take part in that is likely to be a tiny segment of an Olympics ceremony, again for free, which in some other people's opinions are already convinced that the content of the ceremonies will not meet their expectations performance wise anyway and perhaps even ridicule the country and make a mockety of its citizens into the bargain !

One person couldn't even tell me where or when, in London, his own wife was going to be doing her London Ambassador volunteering when asked (he genuinely did not seem to know!). Thinks it "might be a Royal Park - Hyde Park or Greenwich was the best he could offer by way of a response. You'd think, by now, he would know that !

These, from people who are genuinely interested in sport too, unlike myself and the 8 fellow LAs on my table at Module 2 Training recently who, between us only managed a score of 5 out of 15 on Qs about "The Games" (am pleased to say we did considerably better on the quiz about London itself though !)

Glad to come on here and get away from them all and their ambivalence to be honest !!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Dancerwoman
I'm sure a couple (or so) of these dance styles will feature in the Ceremonies somewhere!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JxfgId3XTs

I'm sure they will - thanks for sharing !
Reply 7568
I'm sure a couple (or so) of these dance styles will feature in the Ceremonies somewhere!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JxfgId3XTs

I absolutely love this! Thanks for sharing it.

Original post by cornishscot
Sad but true ............ most people I've tried to talk to about it are not particularly interested (some feel aggrieved that they don't have tickets despite having applied)

Hehe yes I am always amused to read comments in the papers from people who state that they are anti-Olympics because they didn't get tickets. A blunt person might call them bitter

By the way I think the London Ambassador uniforms are quite nice (but I am known for my terrible fashion sense). It makes me think of summer fruits.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7570
Anyhow to give all the Feb bods an update, here's the news for the February second audition dates. Bear in mind that 'Not Heard' may mean 'have heard but haven't posted result on TSR'

16 Feb - 1 person. 1 Opening
18 Feb - 13 people. 3 Opening, 5 Closing, 5 Not Heard
19 Feb - 8 people. 5 Opening, 1 Both, 1 Reserve, 1 Not Heard
21 Feb - 11 people. 1 Closing, 1 Para, 1 Reserve, 8 Not Heard
22 Feb - 12 people. 2 Closing, 4 Reserves, 1 No (redonionmarmalade's pal), 5 Not Heard
23 Feb - 10 people. 3 Para Open, 1 Para Both, 1 No (another redonion pal), 5 Not Heard
25 Feb - 1 person. 1 Not Heard
26 Feb - 2 people. 1 Para Open, 1 Not heard
29 Feb - 1 person, 1 Para Open
3 March - 1 person 1 Not Heard
Unknown Feb date - 29 people. 10 Opening, 2 Both, 4 Closing, 4 Para Open, 1 Para Both, 1 reserve, 7 Not Heard

Total 89 people. 19 Opening, 3 Both, 12 Closing, 9 Para Open, 2 Para Both, 1 Para somewhere, 2 Rejects, 7 Reserves, 24 Not Heard.

There are no Para Closing bods as yet so definitely still hope...

So, Flakeydom, at the end of another long week for the Not Heards... when you have time, can you give us an update on responses to the recalls? Thanks - it's starting to feel lonely out here!
Reply 7571
People moaned about the Royal Wedding then got fully behind it as it drew near. It still seems a way off for some people, but in the last fortnight leading up to the Games it will really hot up and the excitement will no doubt get very buzzy!
Reply 7572
Yep totally agree. I went away at the Royal Wedding in a bit of a 'i don't care' way - but we ended up having a Blighty on the Beach party in our Union Jack garb (purchased hastily at the airport).

I wasn't that into the Olympics either until I auditioned and now I've got tickets, been to a London Prepares event and am driving everyone I know mad with my excitement about the Ceremonies.

When the Brits came on in last nights Water Polo the crowd went mad, and when they scored the first goal (although we lost unfortunately) it was brilliant. The catering people however let on that they ran out of hot food, didn't have enough water and allsorts of things didn't go to plan - so it is good that it is all getting tested out now!
Reply 7573
Original post by *Showgirl*
Anyone else recommend a regular street dance class/choreo in central london? used to go to Pineapple! or Danceworks too.

I go to Pineapple and highly recommend Mark James's Street Jazz Classes and Commercial Street with Debbie. if at times feeling a little less "Street" Jazz with Fleur is a good class too. If you want a laugh I recommend Andrew Stone's dance classes just to "feed off his energy" - an actual quote from him!!

xx

Thankyou so much you guys for all the recomms- so helpful! Yes Andrew Stone does a cracking class- did one at uni and he was certainly high energy and precise- I had no idea who he was then. Danceworks is cool. Am going to do various classes as I used to . I tried loads of split sole shoes on too in dance shops and I liked these best: Capezio Rockit DS26 high-tops split sole. Some cheaper on ebay and older versions that are in leather. Good to have a square toe box- handy! I like having ankle support too- hence high-tops- think we will really need it! Will put more on the private 87s group though.

Can anyone update on the flooring for the ballet groups rehearsing or they are later on? Surely they are in the smaller sprung floor studios at 3Mills? I checked and there are various dance studios there.

Daisy- Our audition was street-jazz and some other styles so add in high impact is what I'm prepping for. Ballet and contemporary for strength and precision too.

Ooh currently watching a glimpse of the olympic stadium test event on bbc news- excccccciting!
Original post by Pinnerite
Flakeydom - hope to see you perhaps at the stadium tomorrow - I am block 216 Row 47 near you!! ... I would love to see the updated spreadsheet if you should happen to have it secreted on your person!

Indeed - I am block 217, row 70. I think I still have your number from the last meetup so will text or call you. Do you have mine or shall I PM you it? My friend is working and probably won't get to Stratford much earlier than 6 so not sure how soon we'll get into the Park. I'll probably head over to Westfield around 4.30 though.

Updated spreadsheet - hmm, if I go past the office tomorrow morning (i.e. if I get out of bed in time to go to the gym), then I'll nip in and print one off. It has to be on A3 to be legible these days - and it's 60 more rows than last time!

Was the attachment taken from a 1970s website as there's something quite retro about it :confused::wink:

It was from a website that focuses on fonts. This one did have quite a retro feel from it. I tend to just put the number into Google and look for interesting images... some days are easier than others in terms of choice. The 88 butterfly was a fabulous surprise.

Original post by lanza101
Ooh currently watching a glimpse of the olympic stadium test event on bbc news- excccccciting!

That's what Pinnerite and I will be at tomorrow :biggrin: Anyone else going along?
Indeed - I am block 217, row 70. I think I still have your number from the last meetup so will text or call you. Do you have mine or shall I PM you it? My friend is working and probably won't get to Stratford much earlier than 6 so not sure how soon we'll get into the Park. I'll probably head over to Westfield around 4.30 though.

Updated spreadsheet - hmm, if I go past the office tomorrow morning (i.e. if I get out of bed in time to go to the gym), then I'll nip in and print one off. It has to be on A3 to be legible these days - and it's 60 more rows than last time!

That's what Pinnerite and I will be at tomorrow :biggrin: Anyone else going along?

Gosh I don't want you have to go in to the office just to get me a spreadsheet! We shall probably aim to get to the park late afternoon as it says you can wander round the Olympic park beforehand. Would like to get an extra ticket but I doubt if any will be available :frown: I will email you my phone number etc. Would be great to say Hi at least again!
Original post by Concord
So, Flakeydom, at the end of another long week for the Not Heards... when you have time, can you give us an update on responses to the recalls? Thanks - it's starting to feel lonely out here!

Of course - and things will have changed. Actually so much has changed, I'll go for the jumbo update with ALL the dates in it!

15 Nov - 3; 2 Opening, 1 Unknown
16 Nov - 2; 2 Opening
17 Nov - 6; 1 Opening, 5 Reserves (3 did Para auditions; 1 Para Open)
18 Nov - 5; 3 Opening, 1 Both, 1 Unknown
19 Nov - 10; 7 Opening, 2 Reserves, 1 Unknown
20 Nov - 8; 1 Opening, 4 Both, 3 Reserves
22 Nov - 7; 3 Both, 1 Closing, 2 Reserves (1 Para audition; 1 Para Both)
24 Nov - 2; 2 Both
25 Nov - 10; 1 Opening, 7 Both, 2 Reserves (2 Para auditions; 2 Para Both)
26 Nov - 8; 5 Opening (1 is US), 1 Closing, 2 Reserves (2 Para auditions; 1 Open US), 1 Unknown
27 Nov - 18; 2 Opening, 2 Both, 5 Closing, 2 Para Open, 4 Reserve (3 Para auditions), 1 Unknown
29 Nov - 5; 1 Both, 2 Closing, 1 Reserve, 1 Unknown
30 Nov - 12; 2 Opening, 2 Closing, 1 Para Open, 6 Reserves (1 Para audition, 1 Para Open), 1 Not Heard (ChickenLicken)
1 Dec - 8; 2 Opening, 2 Closing, 2 Reserves (1 Para audition, 1 Para Open), 2 Unknown
2 Dec - 6; 2 Opening, 1 Closing, 3 Unknown
3 Dec - 2; 1 Opening, 1 Both
Unknown dates - 65; 34 Opening, 12 Both, 5 Closing, 1 Reject (after 1st audition), 4 Reserves (1 Para audition, 1 Para Open), 9 Unknown

November Totals - 177; 65 Opening (1 is US), 33 Both, 19 Closing, 7 Para Open, 3 Para Both, 25 Reserves, 23 Unknown, 1 Not Heard, 1 Reject.

16 Feb - 1; 1 Opening
18 Feb - 14; 3 Opening, 8 Closing (3 are US), 1 Reserve, 2 Not Heard
19 Feb - 8; 5 Opening, 1 Both, 1 Reserve, 1 Not Heard
21 Feb - 11; 1 Closing, 1 Para ?, 2 Reserve, 7 Not Heard
22 Feb - 14; 4 Opening (4 are US), 4 Closing (1 is US), 2 Para Open, 1 Reserve, 1 Not Heard, 2 Reject (assumed date from hearsay)
23 Feb - 12; 4 Para Open, 5 Para Both, 3 Not Heard
25 Feb - 1, 1 Not Heard
26 Feb - 2, 1 Para Open, 1 Not Heard
29 Feb - 1; 1 Para Open
3 Mar - 1; 1 Not Heard
Unknown - 32; 10 Opening (1 is US), 2 Both, 4 Closing (1 is US), 7 Para Open, 1 Para Both, 1 Reserve, 7 Not Heard.

Total Feb - 97; 23 Opening (5 are US), 3 Both, 17 Closing (5 are US), 15 Para Open, 6 Para Both, 1 Para ?, 2 Rejects, 6 Reserves, 24 Not Heard

Total TSR - 274; 88 Opening (6 are US), 36 Both, 35 Closing (6 are US), 22 Para Open, 9 Para Both, 1 Para ?, 3 Rejects, 31 Reserves, 48 Unknown/Not Heard.

I've put Unknown for the Nov auditionees because I suspect most (aside Chicken Licken) have heard but just haven't posted here. For the Feb ones, I've called them Not Heard but for the most part they are interchangeable - some Feb auditionees will have heard but not posted.

The Nov reserves who did a Para audition have been included under their Nov date as reserves with Para results in brackets).

There are still no Para closing cast offers to any TSR posters.

Now... where's the wine! :cheers:
Reply 7577
Of course - and things will have changed. Actually so much has changed, I'll go for the jumbo update with ALL the dates in it!

16 Nov - 2; 2 Opening
24 Nov - 2; 2 Both
26 Nov - 8; 5 Opening (1 is US), 1 Closing, 2 Reserves (2 Para auditions; 1 Open US), 1 Unknown
27 Nov - 18; 2 Opening, 2 Both, 5 Closing, 2 Para Open, 4 Reserve (3 Para auditions), 1 Unknown
30 Nov - 12; 2 Opening, 2 Closing, 1 Para Open, 6 Reserves (1 Para audition, 1 Para Open), 1 Not Heard (ChickenLicken)
1 Dec - 8; 2 Opening, 2 Closing, 2 Reserves (1 Para audition, 1 Para Open), 2 Unknown
Unknown dates - 65; 34 Opening, 12 Both, 5 Closing, 1 Reject (after 1st audition), 4 Reserves (1 Para audition, 1 Para Open), 9 Unknown

November Totals - 177; 65 Opening (1 is US), 33 Both, 19 Closing, 7 Para Open, 3 Para Both, 25 Reserves, 23 Unknown, 1 Not Heard, 1 Reject.

16 Feb - 1; 1 Opening
22 Feb - 14; 4 Opening (4 are US), 4 Closing (1 is US), 2 Para Open, 1 Reserve, 1 Not Heard, 2 Reject (assumed date from hearsay)
25 Feb - 1, 1 Not Heard
29 Feb - 1; 1 Para Open
3 Mar - 1; 1 Not Heard
Unknown - 32; 10 Opening (1 is US), 2 Both, 4 Closing (1 is US), 7 Para Open, 1 Para Both, 1 Reserve, 7 Not Heard.

Total Feb - 97; 23 Opening (5 are US), 3 Both, 17 Closing (5 are US), 15 Para Open, 6 Para Both, 1 Para ?, 2 Rejects, 6 Reserves, 24 Not Heard

Total TSR - 274; 88 Opening (6 are US), 36 Both, 35 Closing (6 are US), 22 Para Open, 9 Para Both, 1 Para ?, 3 Rejects, 31 Reserves, 48 Unknown/Not Heard.

I've put Unknown for the Nov auditionees because I suspect most (aside Chicken Licken) have heard but just haven't posted here. For the Feb ones, I've called them Not Heard but for the most part they are interchangeable - some Feb auditionees will have heard but not posted.

The Nov reserves who did a Para audition have been included under their Nov date as reserves with Para results in brackets).

Cheers!!
Reply 7578

16 Nov - 2; 2 Opening
24 Nov - 2; 2 Both

16 Feb - 1; 1 Opening
25 Feb - 1, 1 Not Heard
29 Feb - 1; 1 Para Open
3 Mar - 1; 1 Not Heard

Wow! This is really impressive Flakeydom!
Original post by Lara5
Wow! This is really impressive Flakeydom!

Agreed, great data! Thanks for keeping track of it all and sharing it with us!!!:biggrin:

Latest