The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8540
Original post by bluang3l
If you can't get the numbers you could always drive past the underground station before the rehearsal and offer to take people to the venue with you :biggrin:

That would have been my serious suggestion!

I parked at the 1:1 today (the why is a slightly long story), there's space for probably 500 cars there, which is fine for a day like today but unmanageable on the busiest days. I thought the overall venue setup was good, although having seem some of the props and heard some of the things being setup, I'm suddenly worried it's all going to be terribly naff!

Come on Danny and Stephen, I still have faith...
Original post by icanshowyoutheworld
I had the same problem.. i managed to get accomodation for 2 nights at LSE High Holborn for £63 quid? didnt think this was bad considering the price everywhere else!

Could you not move further out i.e. Zone 3 / Zone 4? £63 for two nights is a bit steep.
Original post by Concord

I parked at the 1:1 today (the why is a slightly long story)

Y? :biggrin:
Original post by Dancerwoman
Could you not move further out i.e. Zone 3 / Zone 4? £63 for two nights is a bit steep.

yeh i know. I considered but that's just for the ceremony weekend... thought id give my somewhere a bit more central. I come down to London a fair bit but dont stop over & get to see many shows... thought id take the opportunity while i could.
when i get accommodation for the 9am Sunday starts ill be stopping further a field or in a hostel at least!
although slightly sceptical now people are saving they tell you not to leave valuables? Ill most likely have a large/small case... admittedly only clothes and towels but still :/
yeh i know. I considered but that's just for the ceremony weekend... thought id give my somewhere a bit more central. I come down to London a fair bit but dont stop over & get to see many shows... thought id take the opportunity while i could.
when i get accommodation for the 9am Sunday starts ill be stopping further a field or in a hostel at least!
although slightly sceptical now people are saving they tell you not to leave valuables? Ill most likely have a large/small case... admittedly only clothes and towels but still :/

Where abouts are you based? Maybe able to help you with a lift once we move to 1:1.
Reply 8545
Original post by Pinnerite

one guy is flying in from Italy each time (!)

Whaaaaat??? Wow!
That really is commitment. I'm guessing he's pretty loaded.
Reply 8546
I have seen the torch!!!! They finished today at Exeter, where the atmosphere was INCREDIBLE!! was seriously shocked at how many people down here are getting into the spirit of it as many of them I know feel like they weren't part of it - they do now! Got there over an hour early but almost impossible to get a good spot by that time, thousands turned up. I guess the next time I see that one will be on July 27th!!!
Original post by Redthunder
I too am struggling for accommodation, is this close to 1:1 and the Stadium or is this better for 3 Mills? Cheapest halls accommodation I can find for 3 nights end of August is £178!! I've got a hostel booked for the 3Mills rehearsals but haven't a clue what to do, where to stay or how to get to 1:1? Thanks :confused:

wow! Thats expensive. Since i live at East London, I shall scout around to see if i can find any cheap accomodation for you guys. Just for 3 days @ £178 is ridiculous. I shall give a shout if i find any cheap accomodation.
Original post by Concord

I parked at the 1:1 today (the why is a slightly long story), there's space for probably 500 cars there, which is fine for a day like today but unmanageable on the busiest days. I thought the overall venue setup was good, although having seem some of the props and heard some of the things being setup, I'm suddenly worried it's all going to be terribly naff!

Come on Danny and Stephen, I still have faith...

Presumably that is not for your para role - are you doing props form opening - if so you should identify yourself next time!
Where abouts are you based? Maybe able to help you with a lift once we move to 1:1.

Manchester / Sheffield, although occasionally Norwich.

The time it's gonna be in issue is when there are 9am Sunday rehearsals for which i'm looking for somewhere further a field but still accessible. A lift would be great but I cant really give a destination yet! lol
Manchester / Sheffield, although occasionally Norwich.

The time it's gonna be in issue is when there are 9am Sunday rehearsals for which i'm looking for somewhere further a field but still accessible. A lift would be great but I cant really give a destination yet! lol

No worries.
Original post by cinnamon
http://www.paralympic.org/news/coldplay-close-london-2012-paralympic-games

COLDPLAY TO BE IN THE PARALYMPIC CLOSING CEREMONY!

WOO HOO!!!

Awesome! I wish i know at which ceremony of paralympic i shall be getting. Fingers crossed:smile:
Reply 8552
Original post by Flakeydom
[video="youtube_share;5F1gKUDTwAw"]http://youtu.be/5F1gKUDTwAw[/video]

They laid the grass in between? Makes sense, but I'm surprised the javelins didn't bounce back off the concrete underneath!

The 44-FOPers are going to be busy for days.
Reply 8553
I know the original post of this blog was mentioned on here but not sure if the follow-up was. In case anyone didn't see and is interested

http://blogs.channel4.com/paralympics/2012/04/27/terrible-dancer-accepts-dancing-role-in-paralympic-opening-ceremony/

Gives more of an idea of what might be involved in para opening. Gavotte?!

That time-lapse video is insane! I thought they would have just thrown a tarpaulin over the field for the performances :redface:
Reply 8554
Thanks for that vid Flakeydom, very interesting and I'm regretting not taking your advice about the sound! Dismantling the Ceremony garb and preparing for athletics probably isn't something that can be completely practised ahead of time so it must be quite the logistical challenge.

Get well soon to everyone struck down with the TSR curse. I'm starting to wonder if I should give up trampolining between now and the Olympic just in case!

I had a very cultural weekend with my in-laws. Went to visit Darwin's home in Kent, attended a Falklands Merchant Navy exhibition and a photography exhibition in London. Science, history and art all in one weekend! I was sending good thoughts to all those auditioning this weekend, hope it went well and you hear sooner rather than later.

I'm probably going to stay in a hostel in central London. My rehearsals for the Para Ceremonies are all very close together and since I live in Nottingham it makes more sense to stay in London for a week and a half than keep heading home at silly hours and doing the odd day at work (not very productive in the science). I'd like to try for some more Paralympic tickets tomorrow but alas I'm in a lab meeting when they go on sale so we'll see if there's anything left later. Anyone else trying for something?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8555
Yes. That was my "Plan B". I do pass a couple of tube stations on the way. I've got a couple more rehearsals before my Segment goes over to 1:1 so still have time to speak to fellow Cast Members as to whether they'd want a lift. Although it's a baby car that I have but hoping to get 3 others willing to share to make the grand total of 4 - just to be on the safe side.

Having driven down this morning from Cambridgeshire as no trains leave early enough on a Sunday, I can honestly recommend Upminster station as a good place to park and tube it in. Plenty of parking at upminster and only £2.10 on a weekend, tube is literally 4 stops and 10 minutes to Dagenham east. Plus you get the bonus of it being quiet as the majority of people come from and head back west into central London from Dagenham East.

It is also probably a little easier to get to off the m25 than driving into Dagenham.
Original post by Kit-Yan
Chicky - any news for you yet?

Thanks for asking Kit Yan

No nothing yet - I'm positive it will happen - but hope it's soon
As it's great hearing about all the exciting auditions - but I feel like I'm missing out on all the fun stuff.

Flakeydom could you tell me how many have yet to hear on the magic spreadsheet- (not reserves or understudies) thanks

Ta for now

Chicky :hello:
(edited 11 years ago)
There are Android and iPhone apps available to help you plan your Olympic experience from the torch relay to going to events. Doesn't appear to be the most responsive app out there but might be useful!

London 2012 Join In

Original post by Chicken Licken
Flakeydom could you tell me how many have yet to hear on the magic spreadsheet- (not reserves or understudies)

41 of the 286 have no result against their name. 24 of them are from November (including you) and 17 from February. But the caveat on it is that some people have never come back to the forum or stopped visiting around one of the peak days for results (suggesting they got offered a place and didn't have to visit for info any longer).

And, of course, there are still no offers for Para closing - aside from Coldplay... and even that only came to light today! :tongue:
Original post by Chicken Licken
Thanks for asking Kit Yan

No nothing yet - I'm positive it will happen - but hope it's soon
As it's great hearing about all the exciting auditions - but I feel like I'm missing out on all the fun stuff.

Flakeydom could you tell me how many have yet to hear on the magic spreadsheet- (not reserves or understudies) thanks

Ta for now

Chicky :hello:

I do so hope you hear soon Chicky - you have been amazingly patient! Have you thought at all of applying for the Rio handover in the Olympic or Para closing ceremonies? They seem to want all skills and there are more auditions this weekend or for some roles they interview. They say all they want is for you to show enthusiasm which I am sure you would!
Original post by Criddy
Having driven down this morning from Cambridgeshire as no trains leave early enough on a Sunday, I can honestly recommend Upminster station as a good place to park and tube it in. Plenty of parking at upminster and only £2.10 on a weekend, tube is literally 4 stops and 10 minutes to Dagenham east. Plus you get the bonus of it being quiet as the majority of people come from and head back west into central London from Dagenham East.

It is also probably a little easier to get to off the m25 than driving into Dagenham.

Well, I have three possible routes to get there. M25, North Circ and Central London. Still weighing my options.:auto:

Latest