The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9120
I watched bits of the Jubilee concert last night and it was amazing. Very impressed with the projections on the palace and it looked like everyone was having a great time. We had a nice party at a friend's house with far too much food. We played pin the tail on the corgi and made some commemorative paper plates! I even tried to pretend I was domesticated and decorated some biscuits as Commonwealth flags.

Hope everyone had a good time at rehearsals. After seeing the party last night I hope the sceptics will start looking forward to the Olympics.
Original post by Pinnerite
Because of rushing to try to see the pageant and having to exit a couple of times because of crowding etc. and with no other card with me it appears I went to the daily off-peak cap limit of £8.50 so now I do not have enough to get back to 1:1 on that card.

Might be worth giving the Oyster helpline a ring and querying the multiple exits because of the Pageant - they may be able to 'wipe' a few of them off since in theory you should only have one exit from 1:1 to centre and then one from centre to home. Very curious re the guy with £80 on it!

The other weird thing about them switching them at rehearsals and only giving you enough for one other trip, is that they lose any benefit of hitting the cap limits and since I'm guessing that at least a few people will have a Tube/Bus combo trip, that feels a little peculiar!
I think the problem is that if they are going to regularly issue a £10 card each time on arrival than one needs to use it for 2 days - getting home that day and getting back for the next rehearsal so that could be two daily price caps of £8.50 each. So it means that if you need to use tube/bus combos there could be an issue and you cannot top up the card I believe. Also my quickest route home entails exiting a station and walking to one on an adjacent line. Clearly the card is understandably intended only for direct travel to and from rehearsals so if one wishes to divert for any reason on that same day you will need to carry a separate oyster card as queueing for tickets will be a nightmare with all the crowds.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hello one and all

Has anyone from 41B recieved an updated schedule ? Rehearsals start next week ..... I don't like being so in the dark.

The picnic sounds good sign me up :smile: I'll get the train down and find a hotel somewhere so we can have a night of catch up and experience sharing :-)

Xxxxx
Hey Samantha, 41A starts this week and we got an email on Friday evening with a few more details. I'm sure you'll get one towards the end of this week.

Rehearsal list for 41A hadn't changed since the one we got in late May - still lots of TBA but they have relented and will now allow you to miss the first rehearsal if you have to since it was added at relatively short notice.

And to everyone else, I see that Paul McCartney has now said he's playing the Opening.
Thank you Flankeydom .... I'm still trying to work out these darn trains .... The sooner I book them the cheaper they will be .... I'm thinking I might just get the earliest train down and the latest one back so I'm down there the whole day .... I'm sure I can entertain myself of they aren't full day rehearsals :-D

That's cool about Paul McCartney I can't wait to see the whole ceremonies they really are going to be awesome :-) xxxx
Reply 9126
Very much looking forward to some samba tomorrow! Anyone else on here auditioning for drumming?
Can't comment on the drumming aspect but I do know that quite a few people I know had already auditioned for drumming. Would be interesting to know how many auditioned for Rio though.

I take it that we should all start hearing something in relation to who are definitely in and who will be in which group by next week? :confused:
Reply 9128
Yeah it would be interesting to know how many people they need too! The dance auditions looked to be quite small from their facebook photos?
I'm not tracking Rio on the spreadsheet... should I be? :eek:
i think it's just the 51-ers have had tweaks to rehearsal times,

As for oyster cards, We get £10 to get us home and to the next rehearsal, i know some cards will go to -£'s but they don't mind as they know some people will have strange routes to get to and from rehearsals! =]
Original post by lauski22
Yeah it would be interesting to know how many people they need too! The dance auditions looked to be quite small from their facebook photos?

I'm in one of the Facebook photos :biggrin: From my understanding, they were only auditioning dancers in batches of 30 so as to enable them to see all of the dancers clearly. That's for the Samba dancers though, so not too sure if this was also the case for Gaffeira Dancers.

Original post by Flakeydom

It's up to you Flakjeydom but I personally don't think it's really necessary as I think they are at a much smaller scale than Olympic Ceremonies. Also, wouldn't the Rio Handover require a separate TSR thread to avoid confusion? :confused:
Following on from your post lauski22, the photos were from the first weekend of rehearsals and they haven't taken any additional photos since then.

You could do - they are an integral part of both closing ceremonies and quite a few people on here have auditioned for them - because of the smaller numbers involved you could just treat them as an extra section, which they basically are because I think they're around 10 minutes long. I don't think you need a separate thread - it's all part of the Olympic ceremonies in the same stadium at the same time.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Caroline27
You could do - they are an integral part of both closing ceremonies and quite a few people on here have auditioned for them - because of the smaller numbers involved you could just treat them as an extra section, which they basically are because I think they're around 10 minutes long. I don't think you need a separate thread - it's all part of the Olympic ceremonies in the same stadium at the same time.

Subsequent to my previous post and changed my thoughts in relation to this for I agree, considering that many of us who are either in the Ceremonies, Reserves and Not Heards who also auditioned for Rio, it would be great to have them all connected within this thread. (Especially as the Rio Handover segment will be within the two Closing Ceremonies anyway.)

Fingers crossed for everyone that auditioned in the hope that all of us get in :wink:
OOps. Sorry Caroline27, I basically repeated what you said. (Serves me right for not reading posts properly whilst watching the TV!)
Fine, I'll stick an extra column or three in then.

So... if you auditioned for Rio, let me know (to save me hiking back through 60 pages!) what for - date, drum or dance and when you hear, the result!

So... if you auditioned for Rio, let me know (to save me hiking back through 60 pages!) what for - date, drum or dance and when you hear, the result!

Hokey doke (gets diary out).........

I auditioned on Saturday 12th May and it was for Samba Dance. Audition was scheduled for 4pm but ended up being in the 3pm one.

I auditioned Sunday 13th May for samba dance (2pm audition).
Original post by Caroline27

I agree with Caroline. Although Rio Handover sounds small scale, but the whole world would be watching at how exciting we exhibit ourselves with handover along with 10 minutes of brazilian entertainment.

There are some fellow comrades who either are reserves or not heards had applied for Rio Handover in the hope of getting into ceremonies. I am still awaiting for my paralympic results while i did my 4th audition for Rio Handover. I am confident that i shall be hearing Rio Handover results earlier than paralympic ones.

May all reserves, not heards get their roles in place to rise and shine their glory:smile:

Latest