The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
that's an idiotic thing to say. Dyslexics such as Einstein achieved great things, as did many others. My sister for example, is dyslexic, although she's not stupid at all. In fact she's very intelligent, as are many others who happen to be dyslexic.

http://dyslexia.learninginfo.org/famous-people.htm
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Could it not be the case that some people just can't read very well?

I suppose; but is that not like saying people with dyspraxia are just clumsy? There must be a reason why some people can't read well and have similar problems to others, hence the diagnosis dyslexia.. It should only be a diagnosis though and not an excuse for leaving the child to misbehave or struggle - the child should be still be supported and encouraged in working towards being literate.
Original post by mevidek
that's an idiotic thing to say. Dyslexics such as Einstein achieved great things, as did many others. My sister for example, is dyslexic, although she's not stupid at all. In fact she's very intelligent.

Yeah, and look at Tom from the Apprentice and what he's achieved :france:
Reply 23
You can't really deny that a lot of people are simply poorly behaved and use it as a guise for their lack of care.

I am not denying it. That is why I just deleted my post, because i did not read the post i quoted correctly. some people definitely want to label their kids with a condition as an excuse.
In Romania we don't have 'dyslexia'.

Spoiler

I don't know. My sister who is atrocious at maths claims to have dyslexia concerning numbers, but I can't help but think that in the old days we'd have called it 'being **** at maths'. It's so now to eradicate anything as simple as not being good at something.
Reply 26
I think that reading conditions like that do certainly exist, my sisters have always struggled, but they achieved the same grades at GCSE compared to me, who was a pretty avid/fanatical reader at the time. It is being abused as an excuse though - stupid is stupid.
In my university Library, dyslexic students don't have to pay any fines because the library system is confusing to them.
As if other students are perfectly capable of using the system and never get confused?
And you're at university, surely at this level if you're fine with organic chemistry or Latin history you should be able to get your head around a library system?

I think there is an overlap. There are people who are genuinely dyslexic, but there are thousands of people who are just a bit poor at spelling and have grabbed the label to suit their needs.
My Dad is quite clearly dyslexic. Left school at 15. Our house is filled with hundreds of history books and a massive passion for British History, he makes fantastic analyses and recalls facts that even astound me as a university student. Yet he asks me how to spell words like 'indicate' or 'genuine'. He's obviously not stupid.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SamF1992
This makes no sense. You said above that all the dyslexic's at your school seemed to just be thick, so they're using it as a cover for that, but now the other poster has said about their brother being intelligent, but dyslexic, but in your eyes he's just illiterate? So you're saying neither intelligent, nor stupid people can be dyslexic?

I'm questioning the veracity of what they're saying.

How does that not make sense to you?
I think there probably are genuine cases, but then there are a lot of people who use it as an excuse as well. Where do you draw the line between someone who struggles with something and someone who has dyslexia? If extra help and time allows both people to improve, is there really any difference at all?
Original post by visa
Probably for the majority, like ADHD is an excuse for hyperactive brats.

ADHD is more often than not symptomatic of other problems. I knew a child who had "ADHD" - turned out she'd grown up with a mother who barely knew how to parent and a father who physically, emotionally and sexually abused both. More often than not, a child with ADHD has massive problems that are being displayed through "acting up" - it can be a way of getting attention and help (albeit, the wrong kind of attention), for a young child it can be far easier to swear, bully and scream than approach an adult and say "Hey - I'm struggling. and need help."

Children with ADHD behave wrongly but they aren't necessarily "brats".
Even if it is real, there's no way it affects 1 in 10 people
Reply 32
An awful lot of people from my college who were "disslecksic", as they would say, seemed to just be complete dolts.

There was not a single person who claimed to be dyslexic who got even half decent grades. I don't doubt that a great deal of people are simply pretending to have something medically wrong with them in order to cover up their lack of ability and laziness.

lol, thats what my m8 said when he got diagnosed. Personally I think he is just VERY lazy or VERY stupid, or most likely both:colone:
(edited 12 years ago)
I have noticed a lot of people on TSR seem to say in their sigs that they are dyslexic. Some people are probably just a bit dim because how can so many people have the same condition. Theses days more people claim to have it but I think they either can't be bothered to read or they just don't like reading so their reading has suffered.
Original post by screenager2004
In my university Library, dyslexic students don't have to pay any fines because the library system is confusing to them.
As if other students are perfectly capable of using the system and never get confused?
And you're at university, surely at this level if you're fine with organic chemistry or Latin history you should be able to get your head around a library system?

I think there is an overlap. There are people who are genuinely dyslexic, but there are thousands of people who are just a bit poor at spelling and have grabbed the label to suit their needs.
My Dad is quite clearly dyslexic. Left school at 15. Our house is filled with hundreds of history books and a massive passion for British History, he makes fantastic analyses and recalls facts that even astound me as a university student. Yet he asks me how to spell words like 'indicate' or 'genuine'. He's obviously not stupid.

:lolwut: are you kidding? That is not fair. How did these people get into university?
Reply 35
Original post by daisydaffodil
ADHD is more often than not symptomatic of other problems. I knew a child who had "ADHD" - turned out she'd grown up with a mother who barely knew how to parent and a father who physically, emotionally and sexually abused both. More often than not, a child with ADHD has massive problems that are being displayed through "acting up" - it can be a way of getting attention and help (albeit, the wrong kind of attention), for a young child it can be far easier to swear, bully and scream than approach an adult and say "Hey - I'm struggling. and need help."

Children with ADHD behave wrongly but they aren't necessarily "brats".

Child=You? Go on, tell me I'm right :biggrin: (I do my homework unlike these dyslexic brats)
Reply 36
If you were to proof read one of my essays, you would find that I do the following things quite a lot:

- Write words down which rhyme with the word I wanted to write
- Repeat the word twice
- Miss words out

I wouldn't say I'm stupid, because I'm pretty good at maths and science. I haven't really been to a doctor or anything about this, I'm guessing I might be slightly dyslexic, but I might not be...
Original post by chronic_fatigue
I have noticed a lot of people on TSR seem to say in their sigs that they are dyslexic. Some people are probably just a bit dim because how can so many people have the same condition. Theses days more people claim to have it but I think they either can't be bothered to read or they just don't like reading so their reading has suffered.

That seems to be the case with *a lot* of things on here though - dyslexia is just the tip of the iceberg. I sometimes wonder if people think it's somewhat "sexy" to have an illness or disability as most people on here seem to have something!

On the other hand - part of me hopes that it's simply the case that so many of us here have something as it's easier to discuss such stuff online with strangers and we're brought here by google etc..

Can't help but wonder though.
Original post by M.Duggan
Child=You? Go on, tell me I'm right :biggrin: (I do my homework unlike these dyslexic brats)

Definitely not me - sister's classmate. Knew all that happened as I walked in on her sexually abusing my sister when they were five; image I can never forget but it was after I caught her doing that, that there was a full medical/social investigation and her past was revealed.

No - I had a difficult childhood yes, but certainly not to that extent - I've only got dyspraxia!
Original post by chronic_fatigue
:lolwut: are you kidding? That is not fair. How did these people get into university?

No seriously they are exempt from fines. I found out at a disability awareness training seminar so I couldn't exactly protest about it, it might look odd!

Some of the suggestions were just stupid though "Let's have a colour co-ordinated system where all of the maths books have a red sticker, all sociology books have a green sticker" What about Mathematical Sociology books? What about the fact that all the Maths books are in the Maths section, and all books about sociology have the word 'Sociology' written on the cover?

Latest