The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Jacktri
Why do we give extra help to dyslexics but not dunces? surely we should take away extra help from all parties otherwise it gives employers the wrong idea. They go to hire someone with nice grades then they find out that they are dyslexic and worst than the other candidates with the same grades.

I completely understand what you're saying. It could be likened unto foreign students receiving extra time. The exams and the conditions within shouldn't change - I mean you aren't granted additional facilities or time in the work place.
Reply 81
To turn what others have said on its head:

I'm met a few dyslexics who appear to be pretty normal or above-average academically. For them though, it's more than just problems with words - they seem to have very specific intelligence, and seem to be absolutely dim in some ways too. They're an odd bunch.

However, I seem to recall that every thickie in my pretty middle-class primary school was more or less immediately diagnosed with dyslexia. So I suspect that overdiagnosis is a problem. That's not to say it doesn't exist or anything silly like that.
Reply 82
Original post by PendulumBoB
Did you not read the article which was based around Einstein's biographer as opposed to hear say? The guy aced school and could talk in full sentences from the age of 2-3. I have appalling handwriting, so what?

There were black people in europe by then, there had even been a Roman emperor of African ancestry.

Spoiler

He was what is known as a 'late-bloomer'
Original post by mevidek
No. Stupid people have a less-intelligent mind, and aren't capable of doing, or as well as others, some things in their mind, such as solving complex problems. Would you say that Thomas Edison was an idiot or dyslexic? Tell me, which is more likely?

He dropped out of school due to a hearing problem.
Reply 84
Original post by Cicerao
But it is. In SOME cases. Which is what people are saying.

No, people seem to be going towards "dyslexia doesn't exist, it's just a way to hide the fact that people are dumb".
Blacks were in China more than 100,000yrs ago.. Google "blacks in China". We have been around for a long time son!
(edited 12 years ago)
Bruno Bettelheim has written a book, "On Learning to Read", which kind of conveniently skims over the subject of dyslexia, but for dyslexia-like symptoms, he recommends psychoanalysis because he thinks that all or most mistakes are prompted by important unconcious thought. I wonder if this woman has tried anything like that. It would make a very good case for undermining the seriousness of dyslexia as a standalone thing.

There's got to be something in 30 years of research...there's a huge stigma around all these disorders and syndromes and everyone kind of knows what dyslexia is, but not much more than that...so I think it would be good if people took an open minded approach to this person.

I think ADD/ADHD is a completely different kettle of fish. Totally different, hardly comparing in this kind of context.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 87
Original post by Jacktri
Why do we give extra help to dyslexics but not dunces? surely we should take away extra help from all parties otherwise it gives employers the wrong idea. They go to hire someone with nice grades then they find out that they are dyslexic and worst than the other candidates with the same grades.

We do... Many schools do also help those who are stupid, or at least not as able/intelligent as other students...
Original post by mevidek
He was what is known as a 'late-bloomer'

Perhaps, (although I'm not sure that being top of his class, "again" at the age of six, teaching himself calculus by the age of eleven and speaking in full sentences at the age of three maximum, constitutes being a late bloomer) but I really don't see what blooming late has to do with dyslexia.
Reply 89
He dropped out of school due to a hearing problem.

But the fact remains he was showing all of the symptoms of Dyslexia, and also he had the typical 'late-bloomer' life that so many Dyslexics have. You may not agree that he was dyslexic, but at least you can agree that it's a real condition, and people who are dyslexic aren't necessarily stupid... Many great minds were dyslexic (http://dyslexia.learninginfo.org/famous-people.htm).
Reply 90
Perhaps, (although I'm not sure that being top of his class, "again" at the age of six, teaching himself calculus by the age of eleven and speaking in full sentences at the age of three maximum, constitutes being a late bloomer) but I really don't see what blooming late has to do with dyslexia.

Most dyslexics are late bloomers.
Reply 91
I think it's like ADHD. Yes there are legitimate cases, but the majority are just stupid people, or badly behaved people being diagnosed with a disorder to make it easier for schools and parents.
I completely agree, since coming though GSCE and A-Levels and now into Uni, I see how people who just don't spell every word they write correctly think themselves dyslexic. More often than not, they are more than capable to write a letter or read a book in a perfectly normal speed. To me, real dyslexia is being completely unable to read and completely unable to write, which would mean that your brain biologically cannot process and execute information. Quite frankly if an 16 year old still spells '-tion', '-shun' then they obviously either weren't taught right or didn't pay enough attention in primary school!
Reply 93
Original post by mevidek
We do... Many schools do also help those who are stupid, or at least not as able/intelligent as other students...

Well none of them should get help education is about seeing how well you perform alone.
Original post by Benevolence
'Title from article'

"Dyslexia is a social fig leaf used by middle-class parents who fear their children will be labelled as low achievers, a professor has claimed.
Julian Elliott, a leading educational psychologist at Durham University, says he has found no evidence to identify dyslexia as a medical condition after more than 30 years of research.
"There is a huge stigma attached to low intelligence," he said.
"After years of working with parents, I have seen how they don't want their child to be considered lazy, thick or stupid.
"If they get called this medically diagnosed term, dyslexic, then it is a signal to all that it's not to do with intelligence."
He added: "There are all sorts of reasons why people don't read well but we can't determine why that is. Dyslexia, as a term, is becoming meaningless."
One in ten people in the UK - including 375,000 schoolchildren - has been diagnosed with dyslexia.
The condition is said to impair short-term memory and the ability to read, write, spell and do maths.
Supporters of the condition argue that dyslexics are intelligent people who have difficulties processing information and need extra help and time than others who are poor readers.
But Professor Elliott has claimed that the symptoms of dyslexia - such as clumsiness and letter reversal - are similar to those seen in those who simply cannot read.
He argues that the condition should be rediagnosed as a reading difficulty.
His comments provoked fury among dyslexia campaigners.
John Rack, head of research and development at the charity Dyslexia Action, denied that the disability was a middle-class phenomenon.
He told The Times: "There is ample evidence that dyslexia exists across the spectrum and the argument that there is no consistent means of identifying it is one cited by people who don't know enough about the subject."
However, other experts have suggested that parents are putting their children forward for reading ability assessments to "get them off the hook".
Dr Michael Rice, a dyslexia and literacy expert at Cambridge University, said: "There is a sense of justification when children are diagnosed.
"It gets them off the hook of great embarrassment and personal inadequacy."
According to Professor Elliott, dyslexic university students are gaining an unfair advantage by getting extra time for their studies and many are getting diagnosed simply to get up to £10,000 worth of equipment including laptops and extra books.
University lecturers have complained about students "milking the system" by pretending they have the condition.
One lecturer who teaches in the South-East said:
"On one degree course I teach, about one quarter of the students get help with their coursework and other assistance because they have this label. You become quite cynical."
The number of students who receive disability allowances at university has risen to a record 35,500 at a cost of £78.4million a year."

What do you guys think? My girlfriend, for example, says that she is Dyslexic and that this is a load of nonsense.

Discuss

I have friends who are intelligent and brilliant at non-verbal exercises but just have so much trouble with spelling etc.
Reply 95
Original post by Jacktri
Well none of them should get help education is about seeing how well you perform alone.

There are so many things wrong with that statement that it's ridiculous that you could say such a thing. Education is a way of preparing students for their lives, and those with special educational needs are helped to reach their potential. It's not about performance, it's about your outlook on life, how well you do, and reaching your full potential, which is what teachers try with dyslexics and those with special needs. What an idiotic thing to say.
Reply 96
I must admit I was cynical of my housemate in first year who could spell and read really good as far as I was concerned, yet he called himself "dyslexic" and got a free mac book from our uni and extra time in exams! :eek:

I do believe that dyslexia exists and these people aren't stupid, they actually have a disability. But I also think others milk the disability to get stuff. I get pissed off with people who do have the disability who use it as an excuse to not bother though, that is something that really does annoy me! I know many dyslexics who have worked really really hard and tried to overcome it, and they have done well for themselves. So I can't tolerate it when some dyslexic people say "oh no, I can't do that!" when they didn't even try.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 97
Original post by Sazzy890
I must admit I was cynical of my housemate in first year who could spell and read really good as far as I was concerned, yet he called himself "dyslexic" and got a free mac book from our uni and extra time in exams! :eek:

Unfortunately you do have frauds like that, but Dyslexia is a very real and pretty serious condition.
I personally couldn't comment because I'm not in these peoples' position. I'm not commenting on whether it exists or not.

However -

1) I do believe that middle class people are in a better position to benefit from extra help and time in exams because they have the money to go for diagnosis at private clinics and pushy parents to ensure they get as much help as possible. In order to be entirely fair, as a society we either need to ensure that everybody gets high-quality support regardless of their socio-economic group - or do away with the whole thing altogether.

2) The English-speaking world is obsessed with these labels while many other countries don't even recognise them at all. I am concerned that this is just a slippery slope based on cultural subjectivities as to who deserves help and who doesn't. If you believe that people are born with different levels of intelligence, why not give people with lower IQs, or who have divorced parents or any other predictor of lower exam scores more time in exams? Surely everybody deserves high quality support to help them achieve despite their problems - not just people with a diagnosis?
Original post by mevidek
But the fact remains he was showing all of the symptoms of Dyslexia, and also he had the typical 'late-bloomer' life that so many Dyslexics have. You may not agree that he was dyslexic, but at least you can agree that it's a real condition, and people who are dyslexic aren't necessarily stupid... Many great minds were dyslexic (http://dyslexia.learninginfo.org/famous-people.htm).

I'm fairly certain (given the evidence) that Einstein was not dyslexic, and see no evidence that Edison was either. But yes I believe that the condition does exist (but has been over-diagnosed for selfish reasons), and see no reason why a dyslexic can't be a great mind. I guess the thing to remember is that if the statistic that one-in-ten are dyslexic is true, then nine-in-ten are not, so given the fact that most people (in general) are not great minds, the number of dyslexic people who are great minds will be low, for largely the same reason that there are very few great minds who have albinism.

Latest