The Student Room Group

No idea what to do or where to apply to - College

Iโ€™m in year 11.

My form tutor said that we need to start applying, researching colleges, sixth forms etc since the cut off point is November for most places.

But I have no idea what I want to do.
I have no idea what career I want.

I know that I want to go to college and then maybe University but I really hate the A-Level options.

My predicted grades are terrible which will look awful on the applications even though Iโ€™m getting higher than my predicted grades for the most part.

I know that I need to take A-levels to get into university but I just hate the options and I donโ€™t want to take anything that will lead to me dropping out of school.

Iโ€™d honestly prefer to take BTECโ€™s but I know that probably isnโ€™t the best decision since it probably wonโ€™t get me anywhere.

Also there is pretty much only two college that i want to go to, that's not enough to apply to though right?

I know for a fact that I donโ€™t want to go to the sixth form in my school because the place just depresses me.
Any help, please?

:confused:
Reply 1
Original post by lipslikemorphine
Iโ€™m in year 11.

My form tutor said that we need to start applying, researching colleges, sixth forms etc since the cut off point is November for most places.

I know that I want to go to college and then maybe University but I really hate the A-Level options.

My predicted grades are terrible which will look awful on the applications even though Iโ€™m getting higher than my predicted grades for the most part.

I know that I need to take A-levels to get into university but I just hate the options and I donโ€™t want to take anything that will lead to me dropping out of school.

Iโ€™d honestly prefer to take BTECโ€™s but I know that probably isnโ€™t the best decision since it probably wonโ€™t get me anywhere.

Also there is pretty much only two college that i want to go to, that's not enough to apply to though right?

I know for a fact that I donโ€™t want to go to the sixth form in my school because the place just depresses me.
Any help, please?

If you like A-levels or don't think you can cope with A-levels then it is unlikely that you will cope with a university course that will require A-levels.
There are vocational university courses, mainly at the newer universities. These tend to accept BTECs/OCR nationals.
Some traditional universities also accept BTECs but you will usually need at least a couple of A-levels as well.
Going to college/university isn't compulsory (yet). You could look for apprenticeships. Some colleges also run vocational training courses such as for the building trade,catering, etc.
Original post by sagederby

Original post by sagederby
If you like A-levels or don't think you can cope with A-levels then it is unlikely that you will cope with a university course that will require A-levels.
There are vocational university courses, mainly at the newer universities. These tend to accept BTECs/OCR nationals.
Some traditional universities also accept BTECs but you will usually need at least a couple of A-levels as well.
Going to college/university isn't compulsory (yet). You could look for apprenticeships. Some colleges also run vocational training courses such as for the building trade,catering, etc.

It's not that I don't think I can't cope I have no issue with that, I'm not lazy and I work my butt off.

Itโ€™s just that the A-level options donโ€™t appeal to me and Iโ€™m not really sure what else to do other than take the A-levels.
BTEC is fine, DDD in BTEC = AAA at A level.

and just shoose your nearest sixth form, doesn't matter where/reputation.
Reply 4
Iโ€™m in year 11.

Any help, please?

Hello :smile:

To do A-levels you only need 5 GCSE's A* - C (or equivalent) in most colleges which is really easy. You need to do courses which are your strengths and what you enjoy. Think of you're favourite subject at school, then research careers associated with it. You can do all a-levels, and sometimes more traditional ones (english, history, maths, languages) etc... do give you more options for uni. However, you need to get atleast a B in GCSE to do the a-level. If you're not thinking Uni is for you, more vocational courses are available and perfectly fine. If I were you, I would go to as many open evenings for colleges (usually october) as you possibly can, only then will you decide which one is for you. And don't worry toooo much about subjects yet, as you can usually change them the first month you start them anyway (just check)

Hope I helped, feel free to message me for any other questions :smile:
Reply 5
Speaking as someone who has a wealth of experience in lack of educational direction, it's better to take a bit of time out if you're really not sure, than just make a rushed decision and later regretting it. I started studying literature at KCL for a year, then I did a year of French and Spanish, now I'm starting Law at Sussex... :s-smilie:

If there's anything I got out of my initial non-commital approach to education, it's that it'll save you time and money in the long run if you take your time before committing to a course.
:wink:
Iโ€™m in year 11.

Any help, please?

You actually can get into uni with btec's, diplomas etc. Ive just done a diploma at college, and all the ones that applied to uni got in- one of the girls even got an unconditional offer to do social work at derby uni.
Find which colleges are near you and look at what courses are on offer and which ones might interest you. If you dont want to do a-levels, then dont do them, you will only regret it later.
Original post by Emma:-)

Original post by Emma:-)
You actually can get into uni with btec's, diplomas etc. Ive just done a diploma at college, and all the ones that applied to uni got in- one of the girls even got an unconditional offer to do social work at derby uni.
Find which colleges are near you and look at what courses are on offer and which ones might interest you. If you dont want to do a-levels, then dont do them, you will only regret it later.

Thanks so much.
You're response helped the most.

I'm going to take BTEC'S because that's the only way i see myself enjoying college and not dropping out.
Iโ€™m in year 11.

Any help, please?

Looking for help? Sorry, your predicted grades are terrible, there's nothing much that can be done. Not to be harsh, maybe the colleges just don't like you :/
Original post by Wroetoshaw
Looking for help? Sorry, your predicted grades are terrible, there's nothing much that can be done. Not to be harsh, maybe the colleges just don't like you :/

lol, you're so pathetic.
this was five years ago and i got great grades despite my teenage insecurities.

if you're hoping to upset me this isn't the place buddy.
lol, you're so pathetic.
this was five years ago and i got great grades despite my teenage insecurities.

if you're hoping to upset me this isn't the place buddy.

Hahahahaha teenage insecurities ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„. Feels like a long time ago eh? I ain't upsetting you dude, just trying to explore your past and find out the cause of your obnoxious and cocky replies on my thread.What comes around goes around ๐Ÿ˜‚
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Wroetoshaw
Hahahahaha teenage insecurities ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„. Feels like a long time ago eh? I ain't upsetting you dude, just trying to explore your past and find out the cause of your obnoxious and cocky replies on my thread ๐Ÿ˜

okay then.
bye.

Quick Reply

Latest