The Student Room Group

University Transfer FAQ

Scroll to see replies

they admire the lovely place at notingham i love the uni i think you should be of good level to get the offer. I applied in april. no iI.did not get the a level requirements the initial where A*AA I achieved A* BB they still allowed me I think because of my first class at my last uni. I hope you get in to bham :smile:
Original post by velvetbrain
I'm starting English at Nottingham this September, but I want to go to Birmingham haha.

60 in everything that could be tough. Did you meet the A level requirements for the course at Birmingham as well, or did they focus more on your first year at uni?

Also when did you apply?
Hi I'm currently at the university of Chester on the Warrington campus trying to transfer to Westminster straight into second year. I'm still waiting to hear back from the tutor which is taking forever as I'm assuming they're away for the summer.

When I called to find out if they accepted transfers they asked that I simply had the 120 credits from my first year but I'm still waiting to see whether my module results would be enough as I gained seperate module grades not an overall one for the year.

I just wanted to know how much hassle it was informing student finance that you were transferring uni in terms of redoing funding and changing information etc?
Original post by ilivingston
Hi I'm currently at the university of Chester on the Warrington campus trying to transfer to Westminster straight into second year. I'm still waiting to hear back from the tutor which is taking forever as I'm assuming they're away for the summer.

When I called to find out if they accepted transfers they asked that I simply had the 120 credits from my first year but I'm still waiting to see whether my module results would be enough as I gained seperate module grades not an overall one for the year.

I just wanted to know how much hassle it was informing student finance that you were transferring uni in terms of redoing funding and changing information etc?

It was super simple for me. Quick phone call to everyone and it was done. The unis pass info between them and everything is pretty much automatic once you change your info on the student finance website.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ParadoxSocks
It was super simple for me. Quick phone call to everyone and it was done. The unis pass info between them and everything is pretty much automatic once you change your info on the student finance website.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's fantastic thanks so much!
Hi everyone. I'm just writing about my transfer process so far :smile:

So got in touch with the uni I wanted to transfer to for 2nd year back in March, they said it would be fine as long as I achieve 120 Level 4 credits. I did this and in July they made my offer unconditional :smile:. In this time I have been emailing back and forth with the course leader and making sure I am doing everything they need me to do.
In terms of SF I have been asked to fill in a PN1 form, which is a new form stating that I am a new student transferring. I was sent a letter advising me to do this. The form is about 35 pages long.. my poor printer. Anyway, I have filled the form in and sent that off, as well as having my details, my mums and her partners online just in case.
I am now just waiting of my old course leaders from the university I attended to sign my withdrawal of programme form. I think its taking longer for them to sign it with it not being term time etc. But anyway I hope once thats signed and handed to my old university that I can get the ball properly rolling for my start at my new university :smile:

Does anyone know if I will need both universities to get in touch with SF, to let them know the tuition fees will change over or should I ring them up myself? I think they will know from the PN1 form I am sending but I don't want any hassle or anything. I'm a natural worrier too so wont stop worrying until this is over with :/

Thanks for reading, if someone could help that would be great. Any questions and I am more than willing to answer :smile:
I'm about to go into 2nd year at a uni I'm not happy at. Is it too late to transfer to first year of uni somewhere else (different course/different uni)?
I missed an exam (mental health problems) and have the retake next week. I passed all my other exams.
Definitely not too late. My advice is you call the uni you want to change to immediately, as places will be going fast.
Original post by RedinLizt
I'm about to go into 2nd year at a uni I'm not happy at. Is it too late to transfer to first year of uni somewhere else (different course/different uni)?

Original post by RedinLizt
I missed an exam (mental health problems) and have the retake next week. I passed all my other exams.

There is nothing to stop you from trying to organise a year two transfer at this stage, but it would not be sensible to distract yourself from the retake next week. I would also suggest you reflect on why you aren't happy at your present uni, and whether moving unis would actually resolve the issue for you.
Hi,

I just have a question regarding the transfer but due to a different circumstance. If you failed your second year, and you're not allowed to resit your exams and by so, you are withdrawn from the university. What are your options for transfers?
Does anyone know ?
Original post by leila_au
Hi,

I just have a question regarding the transfer but due to a different circumstance. If you failed your second year, and you're not allowed to resit your exams and by so, you are withdrawn from the university. What are your options for transfers?
Does anyone know ?
No university will take you as a transfer in these circumstances, I'm afraid :frown:. The best advice I can give you is to take some time out and re-consider your plans. In a few years' time, with some work experience on your CV, you may be successful in reapplying to start again. You would need to check out the funding situation though; as you've already used up two years you would not get full funding next time round.
Original post by Minerva
No university will take you as a transfer in these circumstances, I'm afraid :frown:. The best advice I can give you is to take some time out and re-consider your plans. In a few years' time, with some work experience on your CV, you may be successful in reapplying to start again. You would need to check out the funding situation though; as you've already used up two years you would not get full funding next time round.

Thanks for your reply -- And in reapplying to another university, what would you say, would the chances of getting back into uni be lowered, since you've be withdrawn?
Original post by leila_au
Thanks for your reply -- And in reapplying to another university, what would you say, would the chances of getting back into uni be lowered, since you've be withdrawn?
Yes, they would, if you re-applied straight away. If you've got a few years in the world of work on your CV, your chances would be improved. However, even then a uni would want evidence of recent successful study, so you might want to consider doing a relevant OU module or something of the sort when you have a clearer idea of what you'd like to do.

The issue for you now is that you have been asked to leave your uni for academic reasons. Any other uni is going to want to know that you have the potential to complete their course successfully, and this won't encourage them. It is also in your interests to take some time out to consider what went wrong, and - more importantly - what you'd need to do to put it right. Was it the wrong course for you? Why? What could you have done differently to ensure that you passed the year? What help could you have asked for but didn't? Thinking through these questions and others like it will put you in a much better position to plan another go - but not immediately.
Reply 2033
Can you possibly transfer from LSBU Accounting and Finance to either Bath/Cass after the first year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Senll
Can you possibly transfer from LSBU Accounting and Finance to either Bath/Cass after the first year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'd need to contact bath/cass to ask.

Generally a straight transfer without repeating the first year is rare. Don't take a place on a course based on a hope of switching to somewhere "better". You're better off taking a gap year than starting a course with no intention of completing it
Reply 2035
I have heard stories about how westminister students transfer after a year to UCL, and others..so on. When you want to transfer do they only look at your score for first year or A-levels too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Senll
I have heard stories about how westminister students transfer after a year to UCL, and others..so on. When you want to transfer do they only look at your score for first year or A-levels too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I suspect that 'stories' is exactly what they are, for the most part. Some unis do look at your A levels and expect the grades to match their standard entry requirements, as well as what you achieved in your first year.
Where did you hear this story im trying to do the same next year 😏 they look at your first year especially if you're doing a foundation year and then transfer to the first year of the course.

Original post by Senll

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2038
Original post by princessBG
Where did you hear this story im trying to do the same next year 😏 they look at your first year especially if you're doing a foundation year and then transfer to the first year of the course.

My friend's friend apperently did it like that but I was not filled in how he did it. I won't be doing foundation year but I do want to know what types of uni seek out for A-level grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2039
When is the right time to contact unis for transfer? January?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending