The Student Room Group

University Transfer FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by babarzk
I wish it was, but I've seen the model answers for Maths C4 (the last module). I only needed about 55-60UMS in it for the A overall, but I got no more than 35 raw marks :/ Which makes about 48-50UMS with very forgiving grade boundaries. I had a really bad exam day, aha.

Might just resit that one module in January and re-apply next year if transferring's harder, not sure how to go about it yet!

The only thing I would warn against that is, bare in mind the fee's go up.

What if you like QM? Why do you think you wont enjoy it?
Original post by Magic Dust
The only thing I would warn against that is, bare in mind the fee's go up.

What if you like QM? Why do you think you wont enjoy it?

I'm not too bothered about the fees, I'll find a way to cope. I'd do anything to study at the LSE, so yeah :/

I'd probably be okay with QM, I mean, sure, it'd be fine. But I'd much rather go to LSE, the difference in opportunities and the experience from both is just incomparable. To think I'd miss out on studying at the world's best social science university because of one messed up Maths module is really depressing :/ I'd rather just fix it and go next year, aha.
Reply 22
hi all...i wanted to ask you this.im greek and undergraduate student in the naval engineering faculty of the technical university of athens and i was wondering if there is in general a possibility of transfering to a uk university without starting the course from the beginning ,because i have already passed 40 classes here
Original post by lowrax
Ah, I see! Sorry to reply so late, I'd imagine you wouldn't find it too difficult to get a place in the second year.
I've just transferred, I finished my first year and I'm starting my second year somewhere else, so long as your grades are quite good, they allow you to transfer the credit across to your degree at the other uni.
What course are you studying and where would you like to go? The very top universities - Oxbridge and others usually wont accept transfers but you can still get a place at a good university.
Call them directly and ask them about transferring, they may ask why you want to move but explaining that you feel uncomfortable with the course/uni would be adequate.
Feel free to ask me anything! Good luck.

Thanks for the advice! I do plan to work my ass off and then get in touch with Birmingham and Aston about transferring, although I would have to transfer because of the situation i've explained above, it's more necessity than choice.
Reply 24
Right my offer for Oxford was AAA but i got A*AB the remark on my B did not increase my grade so i'm stuck. I have a place at Manchester however i really wanted to get to oxford. Due to the tuition fees rise i'm thinking that because i may not get into oxford if i reapply next year and dont want to have ended up wasting a year and ending up back at manchester.

Does anybody know about what would happen if i took my place at manchester and applied to start at oxford in 2012 not a transfer but i would drop out manc after the first year to take the place

I only had the one module that brought me down a huge way i dont know what happened my teacher said based on how i told him i wrote my essay for the module that i should have got an A and my friend who didnt finish got 90%.
Reply 25
What exactly is your question? If you reapply it's exactly the same as how you applied last time.
Reply 26
i would take Manchester and if you get into Oxford drop out.
Reply 27
Original post by Juno
What exactly is your question? If you reapply it's exactly the same as how you applied last time.

Basically would oxford know i was already at Manchester? Hold this against me? Would manchester stop me from dropping out to go to oxford? Chances of even getting into oxford with a retake?
Reply 28
Original post by jamie7wwfc

Original post by jamie7wwfc
Basically would oxford know i was already at Manchester? Hold this against me? Would manchester stop me from dropping out to go to oxford? Chances of even getting into oxford with a retake?

They would know because you tell them. Manchester can't stop you dropping out - will they tie you to a lecture chair or something?
Reply 29
I wan't to transfer my course from Chemistry to Optometry, but I was wondering if I could apply using my current university grades. Just finished first year with a 2:1

Original post by m77
I wan't to transfer my course from Chemistry to Optometry, but I was wondering if I could apply using my current university grades. Just finished first year with a 2:1

How well you are doing at uni will I'm sure play a part in whether they would accept you, but since you don't actually hold a qualification at the moment then it isn't a formal qualification and they will probably put more focus on your A-level grades. Are you planning on applying to the same uni or a different one?
Reply 31
Original post by Plasma
Hello,

Im considering applying for economics via clearing, I dont really want to wait until 2012 because I wont have anything to do and I also cannot live at home so id be pretty much ****ed. So im considering applying through clearing and then transferring after my first year into second year? Im only going through clearing because I failed my resits and have withdrawn from university so I dont have a choice; its either apply through clearing or, well I dont know aha.

Does this work/is it possible? Would decent universities consider you if you went to a poor university but still have decent A levels and passed first year with good results?

Thanks

Edit: Merged you in :smile:
Reply 32
Im hoping to transfer to a different university in my second yr (hopefully to continue the same/similar course). I would appreciate it if someone could tell me exactly how the process works.

Thanks in advance
Original post by theoneali

Im hoping to transfer to a different university in my second yr (hopefully to continue the same/similar course). I would appreciate it if someone could tell me exactly how the process works.

Thanks in advance

You apply through UCAS, but you apply for entry into year 2, rather than year 1. Not all universities will accept transfer students, so you would need to look on their website first, or maybe contact them, to find out if they would consider you. You'd then apply as with a UCAS application for entry into year 1, except you can usually apply later without it being damaging to your application (as late as June/July/August).

However, it is worth saying that you shouldn't rely on the transfer process, since its not all that common and the university you transfer to will need to accept the modules you have already done and you will probably still need to meet the A-level or equivalent entry requirements for the course you want to transfer to.
Reply 34

Thanks in advance

Original post by F1 fanatic
You apply through UCAS, but you apply for entry into year 2, rather than year 1. Not all universities will accept transfer students, so you would need to look on their website first, or maybe contact them, to find out if they would consider you. You'd then apply as with a UCAS application for entry into year 1, except you can usually apply later without it being damaging to your application (as late as June/July/August).

However, it is worth saying that you shouldn't rely on the transfer process, since its not all that common and the university you transfer to will need to accept the modules you have already done and you will probably still need to meet the A-level or equivalent entry requirements for the course you want to transfer to.

To add to this, you definitely want to contact them first or you may well well be wasting your time. Include your current course and academic history, the modules you are currently doing (formal names and descriptions) along with what marks you have received, and which would you wish to transfer to. This will save you time as it will be what they ask for in most cases.

Be aware that, while you may need to satisfy A Level prerequisites, any offer may also be contingent on you achieving X grade in year one/certain modules where you currently study and that your reference will need to come (usually) from somebody relevant at the university you currently attend and, as it can take time to get one, getting the ball rolling early on that one may well be important.

The application with regard to UCAS is indeed much the same though - you will put in a PS and such. You can also apply for year one and year two entry in the same form so if you didn't minding starting the new course from the beginning that option may also be open to you and is one people take when our prior study is not deemed to be sufficient for direct second year entry by the university you wish to apply to.

Hope this helped :smile:
Hi,

I'm due to start my Nurse training at my local training hospital via Nottingham Uni in Jan 2012, however, I'm not sure I want to go there anymore due to problems the hospital is having and one thing and another so I was wondering is it possible to start the course AND still apply for other universities, for Sept 2012, at the same time? with the hope of getting in elsewhere and withdrawing altogether.

I don't want to pull out altogether now incase I don't get in elsewhere because then I'll be stuck!

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 36
Hello,

Im considering applying for economics via clearing, I dont really want to wait until 2012 because I wont have anything to do and I also cannot live at home so id be pretty much ****ed. So im considering applying through clearing and then transferring after my first year into second year? Im only going through clearing because I failed my resits and have withdrawn from university so I dont have a choice; its either apply through clearing or, well I dont know aha.

Does this work/is it possible? Would decent universities consider you if you went to a poor university but still have decent A levels and passed first year with good results?

Thanks
Reply 37
Original post by Joanna-Marie :)
Hi,

I'm due to start my Nurse training at my local training hospital via Nottingham Uni in Jan 2012, however, I'm not sure I want to go there anymore due to problems the hospital is having and one thing and another so I was wondering is it possible to start the course AND still apply for other universities, for Sept 2012, at the same time? with the hope of getting in elsewhere and withdrawing altogether.

I don't want to pull out altogether now incase I don't get in elsewhere because then I'll be stuck!

Thanks in advance :smile:

Yes you can do that.
Original post by paddy__power
University Transfer FAQ

Hello.

I noticed that there have recently been a reasonably high volume of questions about this and, as I cannot be bothered to always make the kind of detailed replies that are appropriate, I thought it would be good to make this thread. Feel free to ask questions and make suggestions for improvements and additions because obviously the better this is the more useful it will be. It was written up very rapidly by me a little earlier and is subject to considerable editing at some point.

Let me know what you think please :smile:

Thanks

Why do people transfer?

Spoiler

First steps and initial correspondence

Spoiler

The UCAS Application

Spoiler

What about a reference?

Spoiler

What about a personal statement?

Spoiler