The Student Room Group

University Transfer FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Anyone know if the lecturers let you see the reference or do they sent it straight to the target uni ?
Original post by qkqhp13
Thanks a lot! What were your reasons for transfer, if you don't mind asking? Were those offers unconditional? And did you have A level results which they asked for? Because I want to apply for ABB uni and I got BBC but I am planning to get a first or 2:1 at worst this year (year 1). Would that be enough?

Also, do I have to add university as my qualification in UCAS as I didn't gain any qualification yet and the furthest it lets me to put finish year is 2013.

That's the email I got from one of the universities. Do you think I should try to call them again or just follow the instructions? :

Seriously, thanks for your time!

Thank you for your interest in the University of Sussex. If you wish to be considered for second year entry then you will need to apply through UCAS and state your year of entry as ‘2’. You will also need to send us further contextual information. We will require from you:

- A reference from your current University
- A list of current courses being studied and any results achieved
- Details of the marking scheme used at your current University
- Results from A-level grades (or equivalent) achieved for entry to your current University.

When we have received this information, along with an application through UCAS, your application would be passed to the Admissions Tutor for consideration.

You should send this information once you have applied through UCAS - to the Undergraduate Admissions Office:

Hmm , interesting, shoot me a mail, I may be of some help to you
Reply 762
Original post by Zenomorph
Anyone know if the lecturers let you see the reference or do they sent it straight to the target uni ?

It will depend on what the lecturer does. They can show it to you, but the also can refuse. Once it's been sent to UCAS you have a right to request it from UCAS if you pay £10, but there's no legal right to see it before then.
Reply 763
I really need help.

I've been out of education for a couple of years. I did a year of a degree at the university of Manchester before leaving a couple of years ago. This year (under a lot of pressure from family), I decided to take up a degree at another local university through clearing. I had offers from other universities (good ones like York etc), but I couldn't move away, I suffer from anxiety and depression amongst other things and it just wouldn't have been wise.

Anyway, my studies itself are going well, but I hate this university. I knew I didn't want to be here but there was pressure on me, and the course seemed ok. I've asked Manchester about transferring into their second year next September, but every time I've asked, they've said no. They said they would want 'compelling personal reasons'. Manchester is the only other local university which offers this course. I can't see myself moving away to university so I feel I've got no option but to drop out. I don't want to be here for three years. I've got myself into a right mess.
Reply 764
Original post by pento
I really appreciate any advice/thoughts anyone has to offer!

Basically, the only advice that anyone can give you at the moment is "wait and see". You can also have a look at [wiki]UCAS_Extra[/wiki] to see if anything you like comes up - butt only if you haven't firmed your offer, and since your post is so long and waffley I have no idea if that applies to you. But it's pointless and stupid to set your heart on a transfer - or even to start thinking about that now - as no matter what you say it will spoil your experience at York. If you're that determined that you don't want to go, it would be better to take another gap year - transfers aren't guaranteed and it's more likely you'll end up dropping out and thus wasting money.

Original post by aphex22
I really need help.

I've been out of education for a couple of years. I did a year of a degree at the university of Manchester before leaving a couple of years ago. This year (under a lot of pressure from family), I decided to take up a degree at another local university through clearing. I had offers from other universities (good ones like York etc), but I couldn't move away, I suffer from anxiety and depression amongst other things and it just wouldn't have been wise.

Anyway, my studies itself are going well, but I hate this university. I knew I didn't want to be here but there was pressure on me, and the course seemed ok. I've asked Manchester about transferring into their second year next September, but every time I've asked, they've said no. They said they would want 'compelling personal reasons'. Manchester is the only other local university which offers this course. I can't see myself moving away to university so I feel I've got no option but to drop out. I don't want to be here for three years. I've got myself into a right mess.

Have you had any help for your depression and anxiety? That's the first step. Either go to your GP or use the uni counselling service (they should offer this) or even better, do both! You'll probably find that your GP has a huge waiting list for counselling, although with it being the end of term you might have to wait for uni things. You should also consider posting here and using all the help that TSR has to offer.

Once you're better, you'll be thinking more clearly and you may realise that you can stay out the rest of your course. If not, you may find that Manchester will accept your issues as the compelling personal reasons they want, although that shouldn't be your main focus in getting help. Another option may be to look at the Open University - especially if you can complete any modules at your current uni as you may be able to transfer credit.
Original post by pento

As said above, you can only wait and see what happens, however, I wouldn't start uni at York with the intention of transferring, or with that thought in your head at all, because it may well spoil it for you.

I was going to say though, I have no knowledge about these unis for English, but it's highly unlikely that you'll be able to get a transfer without mitigating circumstances. They're clearly highly competitive for English, shown by the fact that they're rejecting applicants on the basis that they don't have flawless AS levels just to get down to reasonable numbers. The course is probably highly oversubscribed, so even with a few drop outs they're going to have too many students so wouldn't necessarily want to take you on purely on practical grounds, even if they thought you'd do well there. I've heard plenty of stories of people applying to transfer to Oxbridge, and some of the other top unis in the country and they've just replied saying "sorry, we don't accept transfers unless mitigating circumstances are involved". You'd have more of a chance with Durham, but I wouldn't expect them to let you in to be honest, to all intents and purposes, it's on the same level as Cambridge.

Anyway, I would recommend starting at York and seeing how you get on, because you might love it; try to put the fact that it's not necessarily your first choice out of your mind and enjoy yourself. Once you get there and have settled in, send an email to Cambridge and/or Durham and ask if they'd consider you; they might reply and say no, but don't let that get you down, York is still a very good uni, especially for English (I believe).
Reply 766
Original post by pento
Hi guys!!

I'm a longtime reader of TSR but have only just joined as I never felt like I had a specific question to ask, or could offer good advice. However now I think I'd really benefit from some advice or just telling someone about how I feel to get it off my chest. I just found this thread and have read pretty far in but haven't found any specific answers to my queries so figured I'd write this, I'm sorry if some stuff has already been covered! Also I'm sorry this is so long and boring!

So basically I was a good student, got 8A*s 1A 1B (in German) for GCSEs. I have always had high standards and am a perfectionist (debilitatingly so at times) which are made worse by my dad who seems to find it hard to recognize any achievement if it isn't the absolute best.

Anyway, when I started AS I didn't know what I wanted to do, and so chose subjects that would "keep my options open". My parents wanted me to be a dentist/doctor etc., whereas my best and favourite subject is Art. So to kind of find a middle ground I chose Art, English, Biology and Chemistry. I felt completely overwhelmed by the work and was I think overconfident, so I didn't study as hard as I now realise I needed to, especially in Bio and Chem. As a result I got A (Art), A (English), B (Biology) and a C (Chemistry). This was the first C of my life and I was completely devastated.

When it came time to apply for UCAS in A2 I suddenly realised that the universities I dreamed of getting into my whole life (specifically Cambridge/Durham) would be put off by my AS grades. I applied for English (a compromise with my parents), but got rejected from every university I applied to (Cambridge, Durham, UCL, Leeds, Nottingham). I didn't get an interview for any of the universities. I decided to work really hard and reapply during a gap year. I ended up with A* (Art), A (English - 5 marks off an A*, full marks in CW) and A (Biology). In addition I took up extra-curriculars etc. This is not a "whining because I didn't get into Oxbridge" kind of post, I'm just trying to say that for whatever reason in my AS year I just let myself down and completely lacked any self-awareness, but tried to pick myself up. I thought that by the time I reapplied in my gap year with good A-levels I would at least get an interview somewhere, and I knew that Cambridge interviews 80% of applicants. My personal tutor said that I would probably get an interview because I had grades, not predictions. Except I didn't and I got rejected from every uni except York.

My personal tutor told me that what most likely happened was that they had let's say 50 applicants for 1 place, and so to narrow it down quickly eliminated people who (for example) got anything less than a B in AS, and probably didn't look at the rest of my application in detail. I have a friend who reapplied this year to English too, and she got the same grades as me in A2 (lower numerical scores in English), but got all A's in AS. I'm kind of devastated now, as I feel that though I worked to make up for my bad year, the C has followed me. Even though what my teacher said was supposed to make me feel better, it ended up making me feel like I was rejected for something a little irrelevant, if you know what I mean. Instead of getting rejected based purely on English/A2 grades I was automatically out of the running before they even saw those, because I didn't get my head straight for AS Chem. I know some of you are thinking "maybe you just suck at English" etc. but I feel if it wasn't for those bad grades I would've at least got an interview. It's the only thing I can think of. I know I'm nitpicking and am completely aware that this is an extreme "first world problems" kind of thing, and tons of you will think "ffs stop being annoying." I hope some can appreciate where I'm coming from when you have your heart set on something and you let yourself down in a way where it keeps coming back to haunt you.

To get to the transfer thing..Again I want to pick myself up from this setback. I want to know if there is any way I could transfer to start my second year at either Cambridge or Durham. I understand that Cambridge would be unlikely, but maybe Durham? I am now going to retake my AS Chemistry in June to get it to an A (hopefully!) and a module of my AS Biology to get it up to an A (again hopefully!). If this happens I would have those results by August, before I start uni. So, providing I was doing well in my uni first year modules, do you think it would be a plausible/good idea?

I'm definitely going to try and embrace my time at York, absolutely as best I can. I really really mean that, I'm not the type to sulk in the corner, I will make the best of any situation I'm in I promise. If you're thinking "maybe you'll love York" I completely agree. I'm more writing this as I'm kind of despairing right now and am just considering my options way in advance should it come to this. It gave me a kind of spark of hope when I realised this was a hypothetical option. I'm not saying "York sucks I know I will hate it even though I haven't started there yet, I have to go to Cambridge/Durham" , I'm just saying "In case it doesn't fit this could be an option, why don't I start investigating/getting my facts straight now before deadlines etc. become any kind of issue and I have to make a quick decision."

SO - hypothetically if I hate York and am still feeling regret, "what ifs" etc.: Could I apply for a transfer in my second year? Should I? Are they likely to consider me? Importantly, is it worth applying regardless because even if I get rejected for the transfer I'll still be at York so won't have lost anything? And if I get accepted my dream will come true and all the whining/scrapping will be worth it?

THANK YOU FOR READING!!!!! :biggrin:

I beg to disagree with your tutor. The C at AS may not have helped your cause, but it won't have killed it when you were applying with actual A level grades rather than predictions. The truth is that for whatever reason your application in its totality did not score highly enough on the other unis' scoring systems (they all have them, somehow or other) to achieve an offer. English is one of the most competitive subjects to get a place for, and plenty of people with good grades get rejected by York every year.

If I've read your post correctly, you are on your gap year now, and already have all your decisions in. If you aren't sure that York is for you, then don't go (but leave it for a while before you finally decide; it's a long time until August).

However, the chances are that what you are feeling at the moment is all that 'what if?' stuff, amid natural disappointment that you don't have the options you'd hoped for. This will pass. It's certainly not a good idea to go to uni with the mindset that you are planning to transfer. You need to go with a whole-hearted intention to make the most of the considerable opportunities that York will offer you. They won't be the same as Durham or Cambridge, but they won't be less good opportunities either; they'll just be different. What you absolutely do not want to do is to spend so much energy thinking 'what if' and 'maybe I should...' that you have nothing left to put in to making the most of what is there, real, and right in front of you.

I'll say it again: I truly, genuinely, doubt that it was just your AS grades that explain your rejections. Your friend may have had a 'better' personal statement than you (and the only judges on this one are the admissions tutors, whatever you may think) and she is likely to have been able to convey her interest in and aptitude for the subject better than you were.

However, even if it was your AS grades, if, resits won't help your cause with either Cambridge or Durham. There's no need to resit for any other reason that I can think of, as your A level grades will be plenty good enough for even the grandest graduate scheme. Better to spend the time between now and September doing other, more productive things which will make you feel better about yourself and stop you from focusing over-much on this C grade in Chemistry. Seriously, life is much, much too short.

Finally, if after all I've said you still want to have the transfer possibility as a plan B, you should be aware that Cambridge will not consider you as an applicant for undergraduate study while you are a current student at another uni. Also, you'll need to check whether Cambridge or Durham will accept transfer into the second year of their undergraduate courses. I know Oxford definitely doesn't.

For my parting shot, I would add that I was a Cambridge reject in my day, and I have come across plenty of other people who did not get in to their first or second choice unis. I can't say that their lives have been disasters as a result. Mine certainly hasn't :smile:
Reply 767
Wondering if anyone can help me with a few things?

I'm wondering first of all if a third year transfer to a different uni but the same course is possible? I have been getting firsts in every module for both my first and second year and hoping this will help?

Also if I did transfer, would I pay the higher fees? I started under the old system in 2010.

Lastly has anyone had any luck with a transfer to sheffield hallam?

Reply 768
Original post by aphex22
I really need help.

Are Manchester aware of your anxiety and depression? Suitably backed up by medical evidence, I would have thought that ought to qualify as 'compelling personal reasons' - unless they mean compelling personal reasons for switching courses, rather than staying local, I suppose.

That said, you might want to reflect on why you 'hate' the university you are at now. You don't want to find yourself simply taking the issues currently bothering you with you to another place.

Original post by lost91
Wondering if anyone can help me with a few things?

I'm wondering first of all if a third year transfer to a different uni but the same course is possible? I have been getting firsts in every module for both my first and second year and hoping this will help?

Also if I did transfer, would I pay the higher fees? I started under the old system in 2010.

Lastly has anyone had any luck with a transfer to sheffield hallam?

Transfers into the third year at another uni are pretty rare, because of the need to ensure that the course you are currently doing is compatible with the course you are moving to. Transfers after year one are more common because in most unis these operate as the 'qualifying year' that allows you to proceed to the main part of the degree, and there is less of an issue with compatibility.

The question for me is why you are thinking of transferring at all.
Reply 769
Original post by Minerva
Transfers into the third year at another uni are pretty rare, because of the need to ensure that the course you are currently doing is compatible with the course you are moving to. Transfers after year one are more common because in most unis these operate as the 'qualifying year' that allows you to proceed to the main part of the degree, and there is less of an issue with compatibility.

The question for me is why you are thinking of transferring at all.

Thanks for your reply. I guess a phonecall to Sheff Hallam in Jan to ask if they will accept me won't hurt?

I am wanting to transfer for personal reasons really. I have not enjoyed the university I am at for the past few years anyway, however the main reason is that circumstances have changed which means I need to be closer to home. Also Sheffield as a place is somewhere I am comfortable in.
Original post by lost91
Thanks for your reply. I guess a phonecall to Sheff Hallam in Jan to ask if they will accept me won't hurt?

I am wanting to transfer for personal reasons really. I have not enjoyed the university I am at for the past few years anyway, however the main reason is that circumstances have changed which means I need to be closer to home. Also Sheffield as a place is somewhere I am comfortable in.

Hi, I transferred to Hallam so I may be able to help you with any questions you have about transferring to this uni.

IT may be possible to transfer into your final year but it will depend on the faculty, what modules you have taken before and also if you are missing any core modules if you are able to take these as an elective in your final year.
Reply 771
Original post by snufkin_
Hi, I transferred to Hallam so I may be able to help you with any questions you have about transferring to this uni.

IT may be possible to transfer into your final year but it will depend on the faculty, what modules you have taken before and also if you are missing any core modules if you are able to take these as an elective in your final year.

Hi sorry for such a late reply. I just want to know the process really and what to say when asking to transfer.

Im not sure whether my reasons are good enough ... I'm basically wanting to move because of isolation at my current Uni, I want to be closer to home and in a city ... After 3 years at my current Uni I'm still not comfortable there. I suffer with anxiety and my partner is moving to Sheffield next year who helps ,e out a lot with day to day life and I feel as though I can't cope on my own with no one I know being in the town I'm currently in.

i think my modules will be very similar and I am prepared to spend all summer going over anything Sheffield Hallam need me to before the start of the year that I may have missed.

Any help whatsoever on how you managed to secure a transfer would be brilliant!

thanks
Original post by lost91
Hi sorry for such a late reply. I just want to know the process really and what to say when asking to transfer.

Im not sure whether my reasons are good enough ... I'm basically wanting to move because of isolation at my current Uni, I want to be closer to home and in a city ... After 3 years at my current Uni I'm still not comfortable there. I suffer with anxiety and my partner is moving to Sheffield next year who helps ,e out a lot with day to day life and I feel as though I can't cope on my own with no one I know being in the town I'm currently in.

i think my modules will be very similar and I am prepared to spend all summer going over anything Sheffield Hallam need me to before the start of the year that I may have missed.

Any help whatsoever on how you managed to secure a transfer would be brilliant!

thanks

Don't worry about wether your reason is good enough, if you feel you need to transfer as your current university is affecting your studies then that is a good enough reason. There is no point in staying somewhere you are unhappy.

However, when discussing it with the university I personally wouldn't mention it about your partner. This should be about you and why you want to move, not that your partner is moving to sheffield so you want to.

What is your subject in? Then I will know the faculty and might be able to direct you furthur to the admissions office :smile:
Reply 773
Original post by snufkin_
Don't worry about wether your reason is good enough, if you feel you need to transfer as your current university is affecting your studies then that is a good enough reason. There is no point in staying somewhere you are unhappy.

However, when discussing it with the university I personally wouldn't mention it about your partner. This should be about you and why you want to move, not that your partner is moving to sheffield so you want to.

What is your subject in? Then I will know the faculty and might be able to direct you furthur to the admissions office :smile:

I think iff they're classed as disabled and their partner can therefore be thought of as a carer it could be a good reason. They would need some proof like dla or dsa or carer's allowance though.

Sent from my GT-S5363
Original post by Juno
I think iff they're classed as disabled and their partner can therefore be thought of as a carer it could be a good reason. They would need some proof like dla or dsa or carer's allowance though.

Sent from my GT-S5363

Good point I hadn't considered that one. However, in an initial application and a quick chat to the admissions department I don't think they would necessarily be looking for proof such as the carer's allowance.

As a point though to the original poster - if you do suffer from anxiety and are in receipt of the DSA you should make this clear to Hallam in your initial application. If you successfully transfer it will make things easier as you will be able to meet the student support team over the summer before you move, your lecturers will be made aware and your learning contract can be drawn up. etc.
Reply 775
I am still having issues with my proposed transfer, my current university seem to be completely incompetent, all i require them to do is to send my standard academic reference to UCAS via the regular link they provide.

Firstly i get a repsonse back saying they are unable to send the reference via the link, and ask whether it is possible for them to send it via the post, i inform them that this isn't possible. Then a couple of days later i am cc'd into email whereby they have sent my reference to UCAS via their enquiry email address.

I really dont want my potential move to another Uni to be stopped in its track by incompetent staff.

Not really sure what i can do now.
Original post by steve83
I am still having issues with my proposed transfer, my current university seem to be completely incompetent, all i require them to do is to send my standard academic reference to UCAS via the regular link they provide.

Firstly i get a repsonse back saying they are unable to send the reference via the link, and ask whether it is possible for them to send it via the post, i inform them that this isn't possible. Then a couple of days later i am cc'd into email whereby they have sent my reference to UCAS via their enquiry email address.

I really dont want my potential move to another Uni to be stopped in its track by incompetent staff.

Not really sure what i can do now.

I think there is only a couple of things you can do which you may/may not have already done

1) Contact UCAS and inform them that you referee is having troubles with the link and they have sent UCAS an email with your reference to their general enquiry email
2) Contact your new university and inform them that you have sent in your UCAS but there is technical issues with getting your reference accross. They may let you email them the reference directly.

Try and not stress too much about it as many people don't start the transfer process until much much later on. All you can do is stay positive and try to do a few useful actions. Be aware that due to the time of year academic staff may be on holiday until the new year.
I'd be happy getting into any uni!
Reply 778
Cheers, i will try and speak with UCAS next week, and see if they can advise me.

I just can't believe what a fundamental process of retrieving and processing a reference actually is, has been made so difficult by the University.

I just hope i actually get some offers once this is all resolved.
Reply 779
Original post by Lizzie232
I'd be happy getting into any uni!

Try Solent, they pretty much let anyone in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending