The Student Room Group

University Transfer FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Original post by carnationlilyrose
Well, it's a question which crops up with tedious regularity, so I think there's a good case for it. I'd help you bump it, but I don't think just the two of us doing it would count as legitimate traffic, alas.

I think so as well but the traffic, I'm assured, is not as regular as some other stickies and as not as many threads need to be merged the case isn't as strong because they use the stickies for ease as much as anything else. Fair enough as they know better than I how to run the forum and all but I definitely think this should stick around even if it does so by virtue of my declaring any time I make an addition or something semi-legitimate.

Feel free to post occasionally suggesting a font change of a sentence that should be bold :tongue:
HI GUYS,

I am planning to transfer to a different univerisity to do my second year.Application is again through UCAS,what shall i put into my personal statement?Do i need to explain why i transfer?Or, do i simply write a statement as if im applying for the first year?

Thanks
Reply 102
can u do tht :redface:
Can you only transfer at the end of one year for entry into the beginning of another year, or can you transfer at other points during the year?

If you can during the year, do you still do it through UCAS?

Is this the same for transferring onto part-time courses?

If I were to transfer at the end of this year, at the new uni would I pay the higher fees? As in the fees for 2012 entrants rather than 2011 entrants?

(Sorry for all the questions! Would rather ask them in one go than keep pestering you with them..)

I'm currently doing Psychology at Glasgow, but want to go back down to London for personal reasons. But I want to explore my options before I think about it any further or make a decision. (And there doesn't seem to be much useful information on transfers anywhere, besides the OP of this thread. :biggrin:)
sure you can,providing it is the same degree of course
Reply 105
oooh wow ... so if I get a good score in my first yr then i can try for a better univ to do the 2nd year ? im sorry btw tht im of no help .. im myself finding out about this now
I am transferring not to a better uni but to a closer to home one
Perhaps you should just email the admission department first of that other uni first? I'm not sure.
Original post by ladybird22
HI GUYS,

I am planning to transfer to a different univerisity to do my second year.Application is again through UCAS,what shall i put into my personal statement?Do i need to explain why i transfer?Or, do i simply write a statement as if im applying for the first year?

Thanks

That's up to you really but, as stated in the first post, the aim of the statement is broadly the same as it would be if you were applying for the first time.

Original post by godknows
oooh wow ... so if I get a good score in my first yr then i can try for a better univ to do the 2nd year ? im sorry btw tht im of no help .. im myself finding out about this now

You can try but a good first year score does not guarantee anything.

Original post by EffieFlowers
Perhaps you should just email the admission department first of that other uni first? I'm not sure.

Of course you should.
Original post by ScarletBeads
Can you only transfer at the end of one year for entry into the beginning of another year, or can you transfer at other points during the year?

Very specific situations excepted, no you can't transfer part way through a year. There are cases of people who have been on a waiting list for university X but have already started university Y changing part way through but this is obviously rather different.

Is this the same for transferring onto part-time courses?

As far as I know, yes. I am no expert on this specifically but if the admission procedure in general is the same as full time courses then it will be for this. If in doubt I would just email the university you wish to take up a course at and ask them :smile:

If I were to transfer at the end of this year, at the new uni would I pay the higher fees? As in the fees for 2012 entrants rather than 2011 entrants?

No, as you started your course under the old system. If you start a new course, however, you will pay the new fees.

(Sorry for all the questions! Would rather ask them in one go than keep pestering you with them..)

I'm currently doing Psychology at Glasgow, but want to go back down to London for personal reasons. But I want to explore my options before I think about it any further or make a decision. (And there doesn't seem to be much useful information on transfers anywhere, besides the OP of this thread. :biggrin:)

No problem, and indeed - that's why I made it :smile:
Reply 110
Original post by paddy__power
That's up to you really but, as stated in the first post, the aim of the statement is broadly the same as it would be if you were applying for the first time.

You can try but a good first year score does not guarantee anything.

Of course you should.

Hey it says tht u r a PS helper.. im finding it EXTREMELY hard to get started with my personal statement... by any chance is it possible if I could send u the first 2-3 lines I hav been managed to write yet.. for u to hav a look at n to giv me a bit of feedback.. once I do the first paragraph I am pretty sure I will flow through the rest I just always find it hard to GET STARTED when doin essay writing :frown:
Hey it says tht u r a PS helper.. im finding it EXTREMELY hard to get started with my personal statement... by any chance is it possible if I could send u the first 2-3 lines I hav been managed to write yet.. for u to hav a look at n to giv me a bit of feedback.. once I do the first paragraph I am pretty sure I will flow through the rest I just always find it hard to GET STARTED when doin essay writing :frown:

Sure :smile:
Reply 112
Sure :smile:

sorry but i dont know where to send it cauz it doesnt give me an option to send you a personal message on ur profile
sorry but i dont know where to send it cauz it doesnt give me an option to send you a personal message on ur profile

Never post any of your statement in the open forum except in the PS help part where we review completed drafts. If you want me to look at it then send it to me in a personal message (click my name and it is one of the options) :smile:
Reply 114
Never post any of your statement in the open forum except in the PS help part where we review completed drafts. If you want me to look at it then send it to me in a personal message (click my name and it is one of the options) :smile:

thank you :smile:
thank you :smile:

I will take a look in a little bit and no problem :smile:
But who will be the one to write the recommendation--- manchester lecturers or is it just the same old recommendation written by the high school teacher which was used for the first time application that will be submitted?
Original post by tealandtaup
But who will be the one to write the recommendation--- manchester lecturers or is it just the same old recommendation written by the high school teacher which was used for the first time application that will be submitted?

A member of staff at the university you currently attend. Look at the University Transfer FAQ (the pink one) and read the reference part.

Edit: OP of this.
and would remind you that you may well get a CertHE to show for your efforts the previous year

That's probably worth adding in some form to the OP - when you're feeling miserable and just want to get out of somewhere you hate it is sometimes worth making the effort to pass the year in order to get an early exit award (CertHE for yr 1 or DipHE for yr 2). I know not all universities offer this for all courses but it's another thing to ask about when you're talking to someone at your current uni about transferring/leaving.

(also *bump* :wink:)
Original post by PQ
That's probably worth adding in some form to the OP - when you're feeling miserable and just want to get out of somewhere you hate it is sometimes worth making the effort to pass the year in order to get an early exit award (CertHE for yr 1 or DipHE for yr 2). I know not all universities offer this for all courses but it's another thing to ask about when you're talking to someone at your current uni about transferring/leaving.

(also *bump* :wink:)

Agreed, you can also get a diploma (of continuing education I believe) for 60 credits sometimes although I think that is less common.

I thought I had mentioned this but obviously not :frown: I have actually been pretty awful and have not updated this yet but it will happen and all the suggestions will be added XD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending