Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student Oyster Card - attaching 16 - 25 railcard

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    how long is your commute? mine will be an hour each way.
    30mins or so longer than yours each way. Where about in NW London you travelling from?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    Also, I don't see the point of getting the 16-25 card if you've an oyster because you'll only get the student discount on a week/month/year travel card, not on payg.

The only worth in a 16-25 card is if you travel outside london a few times a year by train, and if you are doing something like this: get month travel card, then use payg during holidays, then getting another month card when uni restarts, etc.
    That's incorrect. I can get an off-peak daily travelcard whenever I want with 33% off. It's valuable if you don't buy a season ticket.

Another key point is that PAYG on oyster between 4-7pm on weekdays costs more (a peak price) than a printed ticket with railcard discount!

(Original post by Indieboohoo)
    Since your talking about railcards, when i turn 24 can I get a 3 year card or will they check that you're over 25?
    You can literally buy a 3-year railcard on the day before you're due to turn 26 and enjoy the railcard benefits until you are almost 29!
    • 14 followers

(Original post by S23a)
    That's incorrect. I can get an off-peak daily travelcard whenever I want with 33% off. It's valuable if you don't buy a season ticket.

Another key point is that PAYG on oyster between 4-7pm on weekdays costs more (a peak price) than a printed ticket with railcard discount!

You can literally buy a 3-year railcard on the day before you're due to turn 26 and enjoy the railcard benefits until you are almost 29!
    :woo: Good I can save money, thanks for replying I forgot about this thread.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S23a)

Really? It's £4.30 for a single ticket, presuming you have to pay 66% of that, that would make it £2.84. Peak oyster is £2.70. :/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Which stations can combine the oyster and rail card? i went to Richmond but they said they couldnt do it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi

i have finally got my student rail card all signed off and I'll save a lot of money.

From Slough to Holborn return. Via Ealing. Peak. Is £12.

Via Paddington is £13.60

all day travel card £16.40

from what I was paying peak at 21£ something.

Now I heard that some people link their Oyster cards with their young person railcard.

Although I live in slough and there is no oyster till West Drayton. I have family where I can get an Oyster card registered to in Hayes .

Can i still link them and still be paying the 12£ return from Slough. It really saves the hassle of losing cards and opening my wallet.

If so what's better.

Student oyster or regular oyster. I'm a mature student.

Thanks for your time
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Apologies I am a student new to London. If I am

1) Studying in London for 3 years
    2) Want to enjoy 1/3 off my single journey tube (and bus?) rides
    3) Want to enjoy discounts on my journeys from London to the airports or other places in UK

Would getting a standard oyster card and attaching a 16-25 railcard to it be sufficient? Or would I have to purchase a student oyster card too? (I do NOT intend to purchase weekly, monthly and annual passes on the London underground)

Thanks all!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: December 2, 2013
Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

University of London Guide

Quick Link:

Unanswered London Unis Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.