The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biol4 January 2012 pre- exam discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ohmzz
Can anyone explain to me what a running mean is? And the benefits/disadvantages of using it?

thanks

I think my teacher said a running mean is when you take a mean of you results as you do them and stop taking results once you get two concordant results in a row. So for example if you have the results

2 4 2 5 6 6

Then you calculate the mean of the first two (2+4)/2=3, then the 2nd pair (4+2)/2=3 and so on until you get to the last pair (6+6)/=6. Since the last 2 results are the same, they are concordant results. When you get two concordant results, in a row, you stop the experiment. Note that you have to get two concordant results straight one after the other.

That's what my teacher said :smile:
Reply 181
Original post by handsome7654
ATP-SYNTHASE is an enzyme that is used to SYNTHEsise ATP from ADP and Pi, whilst ATPase is the opposite, as it is used to break down ATP into ADP and Pi.

Thats how I remember it!! :colondollar:

Original post by Sam-8
ATP synthase is the enzyme involved in the addition of a phosphate to ADP to make ATP e.g. in chemiosmosis

ATPase is the enzyme used when in the removal of the phosphate to release energy from the phosphate bond.

hope this helps, correct if im wrong anyone :smile:

Thanks both of you, that makes sense ^ :biggrin:

Original post by EffKayy
Heyyy !
What textbooks do you have ? I have the NT and the Cgp revision guide..
Hows revision anyways aha?

I don't have the NT one, the biology department stopped giving it out as it has too many mistakes in apparently? The main one I use is one by Steve Potter but it's not amazing either tbh. :tongue:

Revision isn't going too well haha, there's so many distractions at the moment with Christmas and family/friends coming over! You?
Reply 182
I can manage to learn all the facts it's just applying it in questions. I'll get something wrong and look at the mark scheme and be like 'what I know that, why didn't I put that?!?' ergh struggling!
Reply 183
Original post by gpostleth
I can manage to learn all the facts it's just applying it in questions. I'll get something wrong and look at the mark scheme and be like 'what I know that, why didn't I put that?!?' ergh struggling!

Go through each topic and learn the key words that you need to include in an answer to get the mark, good luck :smile:
Reply 184
Original post by eemooz
Go through each topic and learn the key words that you need to include in an answer to get the mark, good luck :smile:

Cheers it's the 'state the obvious' I need to remember as well
I hate the topics on this exam so much. I'm usually quite good at theory and applying it to other things, but all the HSW questions are just -.-
Reply 186
Hi Guys,

I am also doing AQA Biol4 exam in january, as well as a couple of other exams and resits. The worst of my subjects have to be biology, not because its boring but because of the AQA exam style, having to write down precise words to be able to gain full marks. I seem to have quite a good background knowledge in biology, however, when it comes to exams, I don't know what happens, I come out with disappointing grades. I really, really need an A in the subject.

So lads and lassies out there, please hear my cry!

I would really appreciate it if anyone, doing GCE AQA biology, could give me any exam tips in general or for this BIOL4 exam, that you might have picked up during AS years. How can I make good use of mark schemes so that I get into a good habit of writing what the examiners want?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks very much.

:smile::smile:
Reply 187
Original post by casio1
Hi Guys,

I am also doing AQA Biol4 exam in january, as well as a couple of other exams and resits. The worst of my subjects have to be biology, not because its boring but because of the AQA exam style, having to write down precise words to be able to gain full marks. I seem to have quite a good background knowledge in biology, however, when it comes to exams, I don't know what happens, I come out with disappointing grades. I really, really need an A in the subject.

So lads and lassies out there, please hear my cry!

I would really appreciate it if anyone, doing GCE AQA biology, could give me any exam tips in general or for this BIOL4 exam, that you might have picked up during AS years. How can I make good use of mark schemes so that I get into a good habit of writing what the examiners want?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks very much.

:smile::smile:

Second this! My bio teacher constantly repeats to me 'state the obvious' so that's the only tip I can give!

Second this! My bio teacher constantly repeats to me 'state the obvious' so that's the only tip I can give!

This, always state the obvious eventhough you think the information is given in the question.
Reply 189
just wondering is it just artificial fertilisers that lead to eutrophication? or can natural fertilisers lead too it too?

thanks in advance, Sam
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Sam-8

Original post by Sam-8
just wondering is it just artificial fertilisers that lead to eutrophication? or can natural fertilisers lead too it too?

Both.
Reply 191
Original post by Sam-8

Both, however artificial fertilisers (inorganic) are more soluble - so there's more leaching and therefore more eutro..
This paper makes me cry..
Original post by barzy_j
Second this dearly.

I need a B to get into university too. I have already bagged myself a D in the ISA.

FML and chances of going to Liverpool lol
Does anyone know if Unit 5 gets any better?
Reply 195
Original post by JordanUK
I need a B to get into university too. I have already bagged myself a D in the ISA.

FML and chances of going to Liverpool lol

what raw mark did you get in the isa out of 50?
Original post by barzy_j
A is a must over here. A D in EMPA you mean?

EMPA is the externally marked one. My school runs ISA's an ISA on Unit 4 material and an ISA on Unit 5.

And yes. I got an D in the Unit 4 one, I am hoping unit 5 will be better because I really want to go to Liverpool!

:smile:
Original post by barzy_j
Understood, what are you looking to study?

Diagnostic Radiography :smile:

You?
Original post by barzy_j
Dentistry hopefully :smile:

Ohhh very good, good luck. I'm sure you have a better chance of making your grades than I do lol
Reply 199
Original post by JordanUK
Ohhh very good, good luck. I'm sure you have a better chance of making your grades than I do lol

How have you revised for this awful paper?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending