The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biol4 January 2012 pre- exam discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2420
Original post by HarrietAC
I was exactly the same. I was sure I was going to have to resit it, then got 93 UMS. genuinely thought I had been given the wrong sheet! Re-siting my ISA as well... apparently you can do coursework instead of ISAs which i probably would have rather done...

Yep, sounds like we are in the same situation ha. ISAs are impossible to do well in :/ (for me anyways).
Original post by Sockhead
Got a D, expect a B/A the amount of effort I put into that -.-

Congrats guys!

Same got a C, put so much effort into this exam, really dissapointed. Not happy with the grade boundaries, in terms of raw marks I was 2 marks off a B and 6 marks off an A. :frown:
Reply 2422
how did I get 82% on the mock, 89% in AS unit 1 and 2 overall and I got a D in this? :| what the f**k. someone pinch me so i know this is a bad dream im going to wake up from before I scrape a cheese grater across my own face.
it's really strange this exam. the people that were expecting high grades didn't get them. very very strange indeed.

i got a D and i was expecting a B/A

but im gonna request my original script so i can see where they penalised me. It's hard to believe i dropped around 35 marks when in the exam, and judging by the post-exam reaction on TSR, i only dropped 20-24 marks. arghhh so annoyingggg
Expected a C and got an A!! :smile: Got an A in my isa as well. Stange thing is, loads and loads of people got U's/E's/D's on the exam who were expected B's and A's. So far I've only found one other A.
Expecting a D and came out with a B. Triple-checked I was given the right sheet...
Reply 2426
Ended up with 75 so not going to bother resitting, so close to an A though. :frown:
I was expecting A/B and ended up with an E. Is it possible to ask for your paper back THEN appeal?
Reply 2428
Original post by BlissJunkie
I was expecting A/B and ended up with an E. Is it possible to ask for your paper back THEN appeal?

Yeah you can request a photocopy of your paper. Go over it with your teacher then if you feel you have been unfairly marked you can request for a remark :smile:
Reply 2429
Original post by asaaal
how did I get 82% on the mock, 89% in AS unit 1 and 2 overall and I got a D in this? :| what the f**k. someone pinch me so i know this is a bad dream im going to wake up from before I scrape a cheese grater across my own face.

GET IT REMARKED!! My school has had such crazy results, like A* students have been given Ds or Cs. I have a friend who is like, the smartest guy in the world! He's doing four A2s, all at A* and he got incredibly high UMSs in his AS results. He came out with a C. It seriously cannot be right.. I refuse to believe it!!
Reply 2430
Original post by Elzie
GET IT REMARKED!! My school has had such crazy results, like A* students have been given Ds or Cs. I have a friend who is like, the smartest guy in the world! He's doing four A2s, all at A* and he got incredibly high UMSs in his AS results. He came out with a C. It seriously cannot be right.. I refuse to believe it!!

This is the second time I have done Biol4, unfortunately our school didn't allow us to do it in January so we all did it first time round in June. I revised really hard for it did loads of practice papers averaging 90ums+ in each paper so I thought I would be fine. Come results day, I find a C staring back at me :confused: Convinced I had done better, I send it for a remark and it goes down two more UMS to add insult to injury :rolleyes: I think a lot of the discrepancies are due to how particular the mark schemes are. Often candidates have the right knowledge but because they apparently fail to link things and mention key phrases (basically mark scheme word for word) it ends up costing marks.
Biology mark schemes are one of the worst ive seen. HSW questions are evil and waste of time even if u do know the content by heart. Vague questions(Q.8), ridicilous grade boundries- 20 mark levway for an A, then 4 marks between each grade after that. Is this a joke or what :angry:
Original post by sachinisgod
Biology mark schemes are one of the worst ive seen. HSW questions are evil and waste of time even if u do know the content by heart. Vague questions(Q.8), ridicilous grade boundries- 20 mark levway for an A, then 4 marks between each grade after that. Is this a joke or what :angry:

Tell me about it :facepalm:
People either got 83 or 85 in my year from the people who actually got an A.

How did you do?
Original post by EffKayy
Tell me about it :facepalm:
People either got 83 or 85 in my year from the people who actually got an A.

How did you do?

Got a C-68 UMS, was well gutted. (Was predicted an A*) I thought i had atleast scraped an A but that paper really screwed me over. BIOL 4 is an evil abomination!
Reply 2434
I'm predicted an A, thought the HSW questions were horrible so was praying that I didn't get a B/C but ended up with an A! Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that result.
Reply 2435
I got an A, bit disappointed I got a low A mind, but I can't really complain :smile:
Reply 2437
Only if it changes a grade. If it goes from 65ums to 68ums you still have to pay unfortunately.
Reply 2438
Taken from AQA Fees for post result services: AQA does not charge for: any mark review or clerical check which leads to a change of specification grade/module grade. You will be charged if there is no grade change
Private candidates must send payment with their request. Payment will be returned if their grade goes up.
It seems your centre must have fit the bill for the remarks and not have charged your friends.
The funny thing about BIOL4 is that the people who said they did crap in the exam got high grades and vice versa. Something fishy is going on back at the AQA headquarters. Call me a conspiracy theorist but I would not be surprised if this makes it to the national news (bbc, itv etc) for the mess they have caused.

Anyhow my remark goes up by a significant ums then I will still complaining because it's not fair on some of us now, is it?

Quick Reply

Latest