Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA A2 Biol4 January 2012 pre- exam discussion

Announcements Posted on
One quick question - from of our list, who would you most like to see on TSR doing a Q&A? 23-09-2014
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Started unit 5 now - more interesting than ecology thank heavens!

Ordered a CGP book through college (can't go wrong since it was only £4 right?) and working through past papers
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Only got half if inheritance left and then on to unit 5! I love biology but absolutely HATE anything to do with nerves and muscles but LOVE everything to do with DNA. Studying this Unit is gonna be a bit weird for me!
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    Woah you guys are already doing Unit 5 too?! We are way behind! I've got BIOL2 to revise for January, BIOL4 & BIOL5 for June. I think I'm going to start Unit 5 also this week and do a few topics by myself.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowerscat)
    Does anyone have the June 2011 Biol4 paper?

Thanks!
    I need that paper too! I've done most of my revision, doing exam questions recently and have done all the papers but I can't find June 2011! I find exam papers are really helpful as some of the application questions (I find really hard) come up again in other papers but just using different content.

If I find it I'll post it, but it's unlikely as it's the most recent one
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellllla123)
    I need that paper too! I've done most of my revision, doing exam questions recently and have done all the papers but I can't find June 2011! I find exam papers are really helpful as some of the application questions (I find really hard) come up again in other papers but just using different content.

If I find it I'll post it, but it's unlikely as it's the most recent one
    Thanks - they should release them to schools soon for the mocks in December. Hopefully it will be available then.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowerscat)
    Thanks - they should release them to schools soon for the mocks in December. Hopefully it will be available then.
    They won't release this paper until after the January exam - probably in March time.
    The June 2011 paper is however available through the secure-system which examiner officers have got, so they can use them for mocks.

IT SUCKS!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Starting unit 5?! We haven't even finished unit 4. Oh dear!
    What book/s are you all using? CGP/nelson thornes/hodder/other ??
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty54321)
    Starting unit 5?! We haven't even finished unit 4. Oh dear!
    What book/s are you all using? CGP/nelson thornes/hodder/other ??
    Nelson Thornes for class and self teaching. CGP to revise and our teachers give worksheets from the hodder book which are ****ING AMAZING!!!! I swear those worksheets are what got me 94% last year and hopefully they'll get me that this year to!
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sanaindaclub)
    Nelson Thornes for class and self teaching. CGP to revise and our teachers give worksheets from the hodder book which are ****ING AMAZING!!!! I swear those worksheets are what got me 94% last year and hopefully they'll get me that this year to!
    Which hodder book is that?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeIsGood)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Biology-...1694887&sr=8-1

They don't have much content but they do have a lot of application questions.

How are you getting on this year LifeIsGood? Finished learning unit 4 yourself yet?Don't know if you remember me from last year?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's kind of what I've been doing. Going to start revising in December I think - what about you?

What are your other subjects? Well done for your 94% last year btw
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Biology-...1694887&sr=8-1

They don't have much content but they do have a lot of application questions.

How are you getting on this year LifeIsGood? Finished learning unit 4 yourself yet?Don't know if you remember me from last year?
    Ah yeah I got that aswell, the best book for Biology IMO.

This year is going well so far, ofcourse I remember you - the 100UMS for BIOL1 girl I was gutted by my result for Biology though (got a C) but still working on things here and there I'm going over Agriculture & Nutrient Cycles thoroughly so far, I've done Photosynthesis, ATP & Respiraton in depth but need to touch up on it again. Really need to cover Inheritance very thoroughly, will do that next week. I'm not even doing the exam in January but want to develop good Biology skills now than later.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have never seen the Hodder sheets? Do they ask questions that usually came up? I've got the book & it's the best Biology book available from what I've seen.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm resitting it this Jan eek but tbh it's not too awful content wise it's just when it comes to the exam I find it difficult to understand.. Iv had a brief look over the content and I'm starting hardcore revision ASAP as it's two month away :l and I NEED my A <3
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah yeah I got that aswell, the best book for Biology IMO.

This year is going well so far, ofcourse I remember you - the 100UMS for BIOL1 girl I was gutted by my result for Biology though (got a C) but still working on things here and there I'm going over Agriculture & Nutrient Cycles thoroughly so far, I've done Photosynthesis, ATP & Respiraton in depth but need to touch up on it again. Really need to cover Inheritance very thoroughly, will do that next week. I'm not even doing the exam in January but want to develop good Biology skills now than later.
    Yep . Oo good luck - I find this unit is so much more difficult than the other two :\.
    That sounds like a good idea - you're so organised! Although this year I've just (on thursday) finished making notes on the Nelson thornes book as my school is too slow, although I'm not really that clued up on Inheritance.
    How come you're not taking it in Jan? Both unit 4 and 5 in june?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have never seen the Hodder sheets? Do they ask questions that usually came up? I've got the book & it's the best Biology book available from what I've seen.
    About 80% is application and HSW questions. They really helped me learn how to actually apply the knowledge to what the question was asking i.e. 'tailor' my answer, rather than just spew a whole load of facts onto the paper!

That's kind of what I've been doing. Going to start revising in December I think - what about you?

What are your other subjects? Well done for your 94% last year btw
    Thank You! I did maths, chem and psychology last year and dropped maths this year. Did really badly in Chem though.... Got an E Strangely im finding unit 5 easier than unit 2.... (I have two teahcers and this year one is teach unit 4 and the other unit 5 so we're learning them simultaneously!) Im not going to start major revision until about a month before the exams but am gonna go over a few notes from photosynthesis and respiration this week just to 'stamp' everything in before we start our ISA's on them!

The one that was quoted just underneath your message!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    About 80% is application and HSW questions. They really helped me learn how to actually apply the knowledge to what the question was asking i.e. 'tailor' my answer, rather than just spew a whole load of facts onto the paper!

Thank You! I did maths, chem and psychology last year and dropped maths this year. Did really badly in Chem though.... Got an E Strangely im finding unit 5 easier than unit 2.... (I have two teahcers and this year one is teach unit 4 and the other unit 5 so we're learning them simultaneously!) Im not going to start major revision until about a month before the exams but am gonna go over a few notes from photosynthesis and respiration this week just to 'stamp' everything in before we start our ISA's on them!

The one that was quoted just underneath your message!
    Wow, you sound busy!
    Is there any chance you could scan some of the hodder worksheets in, or send a link to them - I've never seen them (and sounds like LifeIsGood hasn't either) ? I know it's a bit cheeky but if you do get a bit of time it would be much appreciated .
    When is your ISA?
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    We got given that hodder book from school. Theres less content but OK for application - where are the answers ???!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow, you sound busy!
    Is there any chance you could scan some of the hodder worksheets in, or send a link to them - I've never seen them (and sounds like LifeIsGood hasn't either) ? I know it's a bit cheeky but if you do get a bit of time it would be much appreciated .
    When is your ISA?
    No problem. I think my college, has them on our public file so I'll send them as an email attachment. Yeah im FLOODED with biology. My bio teacher is also the head of department so far every topic we do he gives our 8 pastpaper questions to do on them. I when i mean topic, i mean every double spread from the NT books, not every chapter. I have two lessons with him and two with another bio teacher so i come home with like 4 sets of pastpaper question booklets every week! I can email those too if you like.

We start ISA prep next week (going over photosynthesis and respiration in class) and have two 'general lessons' the week after where we go over anything we didnt understand or are struggling with. Then, the week beggining the 5th of december we actually do the ISA. I get really nervous for some reason and always make stupid mistakes!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No problem. I think my college, has them on our public file so I'll send them as an email attachment. Yeah im FLOODED with biology. My bio teacher is also the head of department so far every topic we do he gives our 8 pastpaper questions to do on them. I when i mean topic, i mean every double spread from the NT books, not every chapter. I have two lessons with him and two with another bio teacher so i come home with like 4 sets of pastpaper question booklets every week! I can email those too if you like.

We start ISA prep next week (going over photosynthesis and respiration in class) and have two 'general lessons' the week after where we go over anything we didnt understand or are struggling with. Then, the week beggining the 5th of december we actually do the ISA. I get really nervous for some reason and always make stupid mistakes!
    Yes please - I'm desperate for any resources, thanks so so much .
    Although I can imagine your workload must be through the roof if he gives you that much!

I'm sure you'll do brilliantly as you did so well last year, so don't worry!! Just try and relax. You're doing it quite early - we didn't do our AS one until around April time last year :O.

Out of interest do you go to a state or private school/college?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 12, 2013
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.