Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA A2 Biol4 January 2012 pre- exam discussion

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffKayy)
    We got given that hodder book from school. Theres less content but OK for application - where are the answers ???!
    I've found this a problem - there are no answers, unless only teachers have access to them?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty54321)
    Yes please - I'm desperate for any resources, thanks so so much .
    Although I can imagine your workload must be through the roof if he gives you that much!

I'm sure you'll do brilliantly as you did so well last year, so don't worry!! Just try and relax. You're doing it quite early - we didn't do our AS one until around April time last year :O.

Out of interest do you go to a state or private school/college?
    I went to a very bad state school until year 11 and then got a 100% (15 grand a year) bursary for a private college in westminster for my A levels!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sanaindaclub)
    I went to a very bad state school until year 11 and then got a 100% (15 grand a year) bursary for a private college in westminster for my A levels!
    Wow how did you manage that?! Entrance exams?
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you know where You can get answers for the hodder book ?
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yep . Oo good luck - I find this unit is so much more difficult than the other two :\.
    That sounds like a good idea - you're so organised! Although this year I've just (on thursday) finished making notes on the Nelson thornes book as my school is too slow, although I'm not really that clued up on Inheritance.
    How come you're not taking it in Jan? Both unit 4 and 5 in june?
    My teacher said we won't be ready by January (I beg to differ) and so he never entered, I begged and he said no. So I'm resitting BIOL2 in January and doing the other 2 in June. I don't like Nelson Thornes for A2 much, it's good for content but that's it. The hodder book is fantastic.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeIsGood)
    My teacher said we won't be ready by January (I beg to differ) and so he never entered, I begged and he said no. So I'm resitting BIOL2 in January and doing the other 2 in June. I don't like Nelson Thornes for A2 much, it's good for content but that's it. The hodder book is fantastic.
    My teachers kept on ranting that the Nelson Thornes books for AS / A2 are aimed at those who want to get a C :nothing:
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    My teachers kept on ranting that the Nelson Thornes books for AS / A2 are aimed at those who want to get a C :nothing:
    I don't know really, it depends to be honest. It gives the information but really does waffle on and knowing AQA, they're more focused on application which the Hodder book fulls insight to, even the content in the Hodder book is better. However, in June 2010 the BIOL2 paper had two questions from the application box in Nelson Thornes with the same exact question so it definitley isn't useless. For AS it's really good but for Unit 4, it just lacks a lot of the application so it's more useful to learn content.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree but you need the NT books for content. The hodder books don't go through it in nearly enough detail.
    And I beg to disagree with your teacher - I ONLY used the NT book last year for AS and got well over 90%. So i wouldn't worry what your teacher says.

But this year I'm not taking the risk, so I'm using NT for notes, and hodder for exam questions.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I use the NT book to get the information, and once I've revised I'll use the hodder one for questions, because the hodder one doesn;t have enough detail. Saying that, the hodder one doesn't have any answers either!!
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    I use the NT book to get the information, and once I've revised I'll use the hodder one for questions, because the hodder one doesn;t have enough detail. Saying that, the hodder one doesn't have any answers either!!
    The hodder one is also quite difficult to read as it's layout is pretty boring
    But the application stuff is a God-send to me! I needed most help with that.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    very bad! wow......don't call my school bad when you hardly came there
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rahul.S)
    very bad! wow......don't call my school bad when you hardly came there
    Hey! My attendance improved during out GCSE's! Ur still at Loxford?
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nowhere to get the answers from then? K.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    I should have made a thread for this but I'm more likely to get more of a discussion in here.

I don't know which formula to use?
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    I should have made a thread for this but I'm more likely to get more of a discussion in here.

I don't know which formula to use?
    20-5 = 15, so there is an increase of 15 per 1000 people overall.

15/1000 = 0.015

Therefore, the multiplier is 1 + 0.015 = 1.015.

Pop in 2007 = 107,000,000

Pop in 2008 = 107,000,000 x 1.015 = 108,605,000 people (hopefully )
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:

15/1000 = 0.015

Thank You!

We never went over this and seeing as I couldn't do this, figures I'll have to do it myself (the chapter). Thanks again
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey! My attendance improved during out GCSE's! Ur still at Loxford?
    your attedance improved by 100% everytime you came yh I'm still at LOX
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe people have already finished the syllabus! We've still got nutrient cycles and speciation left.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffKayy)
    Nowhere to get the answers from then? K.
    Sorry! My teachers mark them!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

15/1000 = 0.015

So that's how you do it! Did it in class but couldn't get my head round it!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 12, 2013
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.