The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biol4 January 2012 pre- exam discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LifeIsGood
My teacher said we won't be ready by January (I beg to differ) and so he never entered, I begged and he said no. So I'm resitting BIOL2 in January and doing the other 2 in June. I don't like Nelson Thornes for A2 much, it's good for content but that's it. The hodder book is fantastic.

My teachers kept on ranting that the Nelson Thornes books for AS / A2 are aimed at those who want to get a C :nothing:
Original post by thegodofgod
My teachers kept on ranting that the Nelson Thornes books for AS / A2 are aimed at those who want to get a C :nothing:

I don't know really, it depends to be honest. It gives the information but really does waffle on and knowing AQA, they're more focused on application which the Hodder book fulls insight to, even the content in the Hodder book is better. However, in June 2010 the BIOL2 paper had two questions from the application box in Nelson Thornes with the same exact question so it definitley isn't useless. For AS it's really good but for Unit 4, it just lacks a lot of the application so it's more useful to learn content.

I agree but you need the NT books for content. The hodder books don't go through it in nearly enough detail.
And I beg to disagree with your teacher - I ONLY used the NT book last year for AS and got well over 90%. So i wouldn't worry what your teacher says.

But this year I'm not taking the risk, so I'm using NT for notes, and hodder for exam questions.
My teacher said we won't be ready by January (I beg to differ) and so he never entered, I begged and he said no. So I'm resitting BIOL2 in January and doing the other 2 in June. I don't like Nelson Thornes for A2 much, it's good for content but that's it. The hodder book is fantastic.

I use the NT book to get the information, and once I've revised I'll use the hodder one for questions, because the hodder one doesn;t have enough detail. Saying that, the hodder one doesn't have any answers either!!
Original post by qwerty54321
I use the NT book to get the information, and once I've revised I'll use the hodder one for questions, because the hodder one doesn;t have enough detail. Saying that, the hodder one doesn't have any answers either!!

The hodder one is also quite difficult to read as it's layout is pretty boring :redface:
But the application stuff is a God-send to me! I needed most help with that.
Reply 45
very bad! wow......don't call my school bad when you hardly came there :colone:
Reply 46
Nowhere to get the answers from then? K.
I should have made a thread for this but I'm more likely to get more of a discussion in here.

I don't know which formula to use?
I should have made a thread for this but I'm more likely to get more of a discussion in here.

I don't know which formula to use?

20-5 = 15, so there is an increase of 15 per 1000 people overall.

15/1000 = 0.015

Therefore, the multiplier is 1 + 0.015 = 1.015.

Pop in 2007 = 107,000,000

Pop in 2008 = 107,000,000 x 1.015 = 108,605,000 people (hopefully :colondollar:)

15/1000 = 0.015

Pop in 2008 = 107,000,000 x 1.015 = 108,605,000 people (hopefully :colondollar:)

Thank You!

We never went over this and seeing as I couldn't do this, figures I'll have to do it myself (the chapter). Thanks again :biggrin:
Reply 50
your attedance improved by 100% everytime you came :colone: yh I'm still at LOX :biggrin:
I can't believe people have already finished the syllabus! We've still got nutrient cycles and speciation left.
Reply 52

15/1000 = 0.015

So that's how you do it! Did it in class but couldn't get my head round it!
Original post by SKPD11
So that's how you do it! Did it in class but couldn't get my head round it!

To be honest, I didn't use a formula - just used logic :biggrin:
Reply 54
To be honest, I didn't use a formula - just used logic :biggrin:

Yep, that's something I don't have much of. But yeah thanks for sharing that logic :smile:
Original post by fatimah7860
I can't believe people have already finished the syllabus! We've still got nutrient cycles and speciation left.

We've finished Unit 4 completely (just this week in fact) and we will be starting the lovely Unit 5 from Monday :dance:

EDIT: why negged? :confused:
(edited 12 years ago)
Just finished off Inheritance topic on one side, and finished Photosynthesis on the other (we have two teachers, teaching two topics simultaneously), so we're officially done with Unit 4 :biggrin:

For the next 4 or so weeks we'll make a very good start into Unit 5, and then we'll come back to unit 4 in January (exam is like on the 21st?), so we'll have 3ish weeks to revise unit 4 :biggrin:

EDIT: Also, are units 4 and 5 equally weighted, at 140 UMS each?

Noo, Unit 4 +the isa/empa is 50% ans then unit 5 is 50%

:smile: alot of preasure in summer!
90% overall in A2 units, so 270/300 total.
In AS I got 284/300 and the A boundry is 240. SO am I right in thinking i will only need 196/300 in A2 to get an A overall. so whats that a high C??
Original post by Randomer98
In AS I got 284/300 and the A boundry is 240. SO am I right in thinking i will only need 196/300 in A2 to get an A overall. so whats that a high C??

Yep it's a mid-C :smile: 65% to be exact.

Any tips on how to do well on the BIOL2 paper, I'm resitting it in January.

Quick Reply